16 coaches online • Server time: 01:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post Convince a friend to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mordachai

Post 3 Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I got this idea... I don't know how much work would be involved in implementing something like this but I thought that I could at least share it with you and see what you think:

What about an option to rotate the playing field 90 degrees anti clockwise? The effect of this would be that "your" half of the field would be the lower half and that your opponents end zone would be on top. This would simulate that you are sitting "behind" your endzone rather than sitting at the long side of the field.

Just an idea... tell me what you think.

Mordachai
Sinner

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

well, nice idea... but as it is, the field just fits into 1024x768, so the field is 1024 pixels wide... rotating would suggest at least a resolution of 1280x1024 so the hight of the field would fit. But thats too much of a resulution that most internet users have... ( ok my monitor does 1600xsometing but hey).

As an option it would be nice but not as a must.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I asked for this a while ago too.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, this isn't something I see him adding any time soon. First off, few people are running in a high enough resolution to even be able to use it, and it's really not adding much for those who could use it. I'm certain that I'm not along in saying I'd much rather see his very limited time spent on just about any of the other still missing features first.

The Finishing Touch
Revener

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't understand why it should be so hard, it looks to me like the field would fit perfectly on a 1280x1024 res screen and that isn't an unusual resolution nowadays. You just have to put the "boxes" on the sides instead.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not just a simple manner of flipping the field, all the graphics calls that draw elements on the field would also have to be updated to draw them one way if the normal field was chosen, and another if it was rotated. And in the end, I just don't see that many people using it. I could be wrong, there could be some great outcry for a rotated field that I've never heard, but every time I have seen the subject come up there are at most half a dozen people who would like to see it done.

The Finishing Touch
Korhil

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Given a choice, I'd play side on.
Even playing Table Top I hate being stuck sitting at an end of the board... you have to reach over too far to move ya minis around.

---Korhil
Revener

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I still prefer to play from the short end Smile , always played that way IRL. You get a better view Smile
veron

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well there's an easy enough solution for this... People who want to rotate the field, just rotate your monitor instead! Wink
Mordachai

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Veron - only works if you are prepared to get a really stiff neck cause you will be tilting your head all the time to read various text.

Also, as I stated in the original post - I'd like this as an option because I would benefit from it getting a better overview of the game. I never requested this to be done NOW, I just asked if it would be possible to do without spending too much time on it. Btw, the game already flips the board in the client, or rather mirrors it since both players are red in their own view (How is this handled when making scatter rolls?).

I like this game and I therefor took the chance and made a suggestion/query about a feature. If the man in charge find it to be a good, easy to do, improvement I'll be happy to have contributed. If is not doable without causing lots of trouble, then hey... no mayor loss, it was just as suggestion.

Thank you,
Mordachai
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2003 - 16:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, this has been brought up before. Back then, SkiJunkie said that the problem was that it's not easy to do for various technical reasons.

-- Christer
 Jump to: