43 coaches online • Server time: 09:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Request to Maintain ...goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MistaBorgiss

Post 22 Posted: May 23, 2006 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I just started some meaner teams to get my blocking game in order. When getting a double skill roll on a black ord Blocker, i chose Stand firm. Then i realized i have really no idea how to use a black orc with Stand Firm for the maximum benefit for the team.

I woluld really appreciate some tips and example situations how one should use a Stand firm-guy.
mymLaban

Post   Posted: May 23, 2006 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

i very good example is when you run across the los and crowd surf hes wardancer to death ofcourse now you dont have to worry about being pushed out the same way as the wardancer, this allso makes it a good combo with frenzy.

On defence you will be able to place 1 SF player on both sides making it hard for your oppenent to make a hole in your defence to get hes players in.

SF is allso good for making a cage ( 4 players surrounding the guy with the ball) as once again he cannot be pushed out of the way making your oppenent able to put men in touch with your ball guy.

another thing is them pesky 1 turns TDs some people like to make where they push your players into eachother to get one within coreing range with a few SF this cannot be done.

One of the best thing is the Dodgeing when he fails a dodge he does not go down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this means you can start your turn if you like with making a dodge without any risk at all, allso you can try crazy stuff like dodgeing in and a round several players again with no risk
Dio

Post   Posted: May 23, 2006 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a dwarf longbeard with SF and guard. Sometimes i try to push him deeper into the opponents defense, so more of my short- guys can profit from his trait. in other cases i try to get away from an ogre e.g.. The good thing is, if he doesn't pass the roll, you don't have a turnover. on the other side, there are more usefull skills [like dodge].

Cheers Dio
jimimothybodles

Post   Posted: May 23, 2006 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

i love stand firm! flesh golems dancing through defences is the best thing ever..

Frankie

Post   Posted: May 23, 2006 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

mymLaban wrote:
One of the best thing is the Dodgeing when he fails a dodge he does not go down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this means you can start your turn if you like with making a dodge without any risk at all, allso you can try crazy stuff like dodgeing in and a round several players again with no risk

It is THE best thing about SF. Not just funny sometimes, but combined with break tackle, even the clumsy players can dodge fairly enough.
FischerKing

Post   Posted: May 23, 2006 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The backbone of my dwarf teams defense vs basher teams, have for a long time been two longbeards with guard, standfirm. I put them as the only players in the widezones, some 4 squares back. The rest of the players form a 2 man deep defensive line in the center of the field, so the opponents will be forced through the sides. The standfirm beards often mark how far hes cage will go, more or less, if they go further, Il have a guard player inside hes cage, who cant be moved, and the rest of the team breaking it down from the outside. Very usefull, its like a huge rock dividing a river !

On offense, the two standfirm beards push as far as they can downfield in the hole my blitz created, often by the side. They will be the front of a future cage, because the opponets cant move them back and close the pocket. When you have moved the ball in behind them somewhere they can advance the cage by blocking and following up. Vs stronger teams like chaos and orcs, dwarfs might run short of time and short of the endzone, so the standfirm beards are good at pushing forward.
Having them near the sidelines also means that you will gain an adventage in the "push out players" battle.

And, as others have said, free dodges if they have got nothing better to do Smile

Future developement of your blackorc, I would say block and guard. He doesnt really need more doubles before he has those two. Get im in front of an opponents cage and break it up once he advance it that way.

Last edited by FischerKing on %b %23, %2006 - %20:%May; edited 2 times in total
Panda_

Post   Posted: May 23, 2006 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankie wrote:
mymLaban wrote:

It is THE best thing about SF. Not just funny sometimes, but combined with break tackle, even the clumsy players can dodge fairly enough.

This is why SF is so good when the player have 4St. It's also very good for players like Human Blitzer (they profit at the maximum of the dodge, and without any risks).

The dodge is not as good as SF because dodge is cancelable and not SF.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2006 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, great examples. Thanks for the tips, veterans Smile
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

something that comes in handy - when you are moving him in to zone an opposing player remember that there is *no risk*) to try a 5+/6+ dodge into zone(s) - if it will put him in a better position, do it.

Gueulemer

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Malthor got an amazon blitzer with ag5 stanf firm blodger... Getting through the opponent's defense is like a walk in a park for that lady! Excellent combo for player with lucky rolls.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Stand Firm BoBs make excellent cage corners, for example.

AND occasionally they can dodge at 50% chance to provide a assist or put that guard where you really need to.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

try combining SF with Tackle for a wall that your opponents dodging catcher MUST go around Smile makes it easy to force passing plays towards someone with Pass Block.
Sparticus

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

give him guard asap, a player that has SF, Block,Guard is a massive thorn on your opponets side
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

AND combine Stand Firm with Dodge at the first opportunity Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I wanted to have a ma8 human blitzer with stand firm to get shadowing but I had to sack him before he could get the last skill. Too bad, he was annoying enough even without that. He could have become a magnificent reroll bane.
 Jump to: