29 coaches online • Server time: 08:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which First Skill
Break Tackle
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
Guard
70%
 70%  [ 49 ]
Multiple Block
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
Piling On
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 70

fathead

Post 22 Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

As the 'Choosing Skills' thread is out of date with the current skills Big Guys are allowed to pick on a normal roll, I am having a hard time picking a first skill.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=270544

Break Tackle: Seems like it might be my best choice; a little extra mobility could help my Beast ensnare more victims in its tentacles (which is what it should be doing as much as possible)

Guard: The rest of the team usually doesn't throw too many blocks at creatures already ensnared in the Beast's tentacles, so seems like a less useful first skill than it would be for other Big Guys.

Multiple Block: Good choice for any Big Guy. Once again however I think Break Tackle would be a better first skill for a beast focused on ensnaring as many opponents as possible.

Piling On: Good way to earn SPP on any Big Guy, but I want the Beast on its feet as much as possible, or it loses use of its tentacles. I already got a free Rotter, so I'm no longer quite as focused on getting RIPs.

Am I totally misguided? Please feel free to prove me wrong and rub my nose in it Exclamation
Wizard

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 04:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Multiblock will give you higher chance of killing/getting more rotters, and will give you spp's faster for the rest of the skills

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 04:25 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends a bit on what teams you play against. Guard and Break tackle are the two that I'd consider (on a normal roll). If you play a lot of stronger teams (orcs/chaos/dwarves etc.), then guard can be pretty useful. Break tackle is very handy against teams like undead and amazons (and elves to a lesser extent), where they can fairly easily tie up the beast with just a single lino.

You can use the up to date page to help you make up your mind too:
http://fumbbl.com/skills.php

fathead

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 04:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak wrote:
It depends a bit on what teams you play against. Guard and Break tackle are the two that I'd consider (on a normal roll). If you play a lot of stronger teams (orcs/chaos/dwarves etc.), then guard can be pretty useful. Break tackle is very handy against teams like undead and amazons (and elves to a lesser extent), where they can fairly easily tie up the beast with just a single lino.

You can use the up to date page to help you make up your mind too:
http://fumbbl.com/skills.php

Thanks for the link - though it seems like it's just a little less out of date (all the big guys choose block on regular rolls) than the thread stickied in this forum.

I'm aiming to play against fast and agile teams more than straight bashing teams (orc/dwarf) if that makes a difference. In order to continue attracting those games I'll be taking FA for beastmen and Tentacles for Rotters instead of Claw/RSC.

Keep the votes and the advice coming Smile
nurgling

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

guard, you just dont want to risk your beast going down imo.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

guard. I am not lightely going to try a 2+ when I can just throw a block

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard for sure. In the opening post it says that you are unlikely to block players standing next tot he Beast with other players.

For me this exactly what I do all the time! Blocking tentacled players with rotters and beastmen, and then moving your BoN to tentacle the prone players will deny your opponent a lot of mobility. Don't forget BoN's are basically just trolls with Tentacles, and are best suited to stand in the way and deny the opponent the use of some players.

My BoN tends to stand next to blodgers anyway. He won't get them down, but he WILL keep them in place.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

piling on can be nice to get to the next skill but its such a shame to have tentacles lying on the ground
Bacillen

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Having guard on the beast means a trapped blodger usually gets a -2db blitz to get away, either because he has to hit the beast or suffer the assist.
Guard isn't just for hitting the enemy, its for stuffing up his hits..
zerkalo

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's how you should do it:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=2561468
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

that's the best way

Good luck

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

/me points upwards........

Yeah, the way to develop a ranked beast is either to get him 2 Niggles, or to transfer him to the Stunty division?

Great advice guys Razz

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

zerkalo wrote:
Here's how you should do it:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=2561468

well I would of thoughtthat pilling on would be better replaced with multiblock after aquiring str6 . But if thats how you should do it ...
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
/me points upwards........

Yeah, the way to develop a ranked beast is either to get him 2 Niggles, or to transfer him to the Stunty division?

Great advice guys Razz

no no I just wanted to show a real good combination of skills. Well maybe in ranked you need doubles, I thought about it, but if you don't believe, it will never happen.

Just BELIEVE!

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2006 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Break Tackle is fine but you just cant Reroll so even with BT the chance for turnover is 1 out of 6

Piling On as mentioned above bad choice for Tentacle player

Multi Block is nice but i dont block with BG that often except i have spent all my RR already

Guard is best choice cose it will strengthen your team in total
and on the LOS with two Rotters besides most teams will have a hard time finding easy blocks (Guard St4 and FA = lots of failed blocks)