19 coaches online • Server time: 06:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Cindy Piewhistle
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Underway

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2006 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Being new to this game I have yet to figure out a good way to cage break with DE. Perhaps I'm reading into it too much but does cage breaking mean that I'm going after the ball carrier, or just trying to smash one of the cage guards and then mark the ball carrier.

So far I've gone after the ball carrier with mixed success. WE dodging/leaping in to hit the ballcarrier usually means that the opponent chooses the dice, with obvious results for my WE.

If I get a block or a push I try to get the ball carrier in contact with one of my players on the outskirts of the cage so I can block them later.

Any hints or tips that I can apply for this. The defensive side of my game needs work.
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2006 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Basicly, just keep bashing until you break through. Since we don't have wardancers and stuff like that, we have to rely on pure elven might to win the day. If all else fails, dodge everyone away so he can only blitz 1 guy a turn, and advance very little.

Don't drop the soap.
PeteW

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2006 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Underway wrote:
Being new to this game I have yet to figure out a good way to cage break with DE. Perhaps I'm reading into it too much but does cage breaking mean that I'm going after the ball carrier, or just trying to smash one of the cage guards and then mark the ball carrier.

So far I've gone after the ball carrier with mixed success. WE dodging/leaping in to hit the ballcarrier usually means that the opponent chooses the dice, with obvious results for my WE.

If I get a block or a push I try to get the ball carrier in contact with one of my players on the outskirts of the cage so I can block them later.

Any hints or tips that I can apply for this. The defensive side of my game needs work.

Roll loads of doubles and ST+'s and out bash the chaos and orc teams. At least, that worked for me! ;P

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2006 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Witch elves (basically all players with Frenzy) have a good effect on the opponent's cage. Mark every wedge you can and hit one with the WE. If you have a strong player with Leap you can fly into the crowd with maximum a 3+. Strip Ball can be useful too.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2006 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup - and prevent his forward movement and try to prevent players (or better parts of the cage) to follow up ... while giving him as few opportunities to block/blitz yours instead. Use your own blitz to try to take an edge of the cage off, each turn.

-Mnemon
kemimutt

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2006 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

There are several ways to do it. many of them can be very costly do DE though.
1 You get leap and strip ball. Put the guards in tz and leap in and make a one dice block.
2 Use jump up players in front of the cage. This way you can bash the cage away and get a free shot at the carrier.
3 Ignore all the players in the cage and go for fouling the outsiders to death (personal favourite).
4 Make sure that the cage can only move one square each turn by placing your players around the cage but not in tz. This way the opponnet will have a hard time to make more than one TD and hopefully not even that.
Longshanks

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2006 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the way I do it is

1. Try and get a couple of your players between his cage and the rest of his team (not next to them). This means the guys not part of the cage can't support their team mates without dodging nor can they form a second cage and move the ball carrier to that.
2. Move one of your players adjacent to every player on the outside of the cage. If you have a guard or two or a +ST guy try to match them up with someone who they can get a two dice block on next turn.

Your opponent can't move the cage when it's marked this way - they have to block/blitz all your markers away. If they followup any POWs, and you keep standing them up, the cage will soon fragment. If you're lucky they'll fail a block, leaving you an opening. If they don't follow up, the cage will remain stationary or if they have enough guys to assist and form another cage downfield, they'll be leaving some of the marked players behind.

If they don't knock down all your guys you should get a block at one of the corners next turn (you might have to dodge a guard to two from elsewhere to get an assist). If you knock a corner down, you might be able to get a 1 dice block on the ball carrier (depending on assists).

If you can force the players forming the cage to take 1 dice blocks on your markers, you have a reasonable chance they'll fail something.

You have to be patient with this technique - whenever you have one of your guys occupying two of theirs or a ST3 holding off a ST4, this is good thing (TM). It can take a few turns to break up a cage this way and you need some luck with the blocks - if you keep getting stuns or cas, it turns to custard pretty quickly Sad

It's a whole lot better if you have blodge and they don't have a lot of tackle. DE's are robust enough to stand up to a few turns of being knocked down, nuffle willing.

The important thing is to mark everyone in the cage once you decide to commit - if you don't they just bring the back corners up to give assists, push back your guys at the front and advance the cage this way.

Note - the technique above assumes you have player number parity (or superiority but this in unlikely). Players with sidestep are even better - with them you just have to be brave and move into the cage whenever you have the option of a pushback.
 Jump to: