37 coaches online • Server time: 15:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2006 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

After having recently played in my first game of werewolves, I have thought about running one myself, once the current game (4) is finished, and the Vampires one (5) is a long way down it's own path.

Being fairly new to the game myself, I thought it might be nice to have some clear and fixed rules that new and old players alike could understand, as well as a new scenario under which to play the game.

So, here are my ideas, which I hope you will comment on, as to whether they would work / add to the fun, or lessen it.

Firstly, I wanted to restrict the game to a finite number of players, as suggested by pac, to help with game balance and to stop the thread growing to big, which would be 15.

The game would be set around the Mafia, and would consist of 3 Mafia, 1 Undercover detective (Seer), 1 Vigilante (Hunter), 1 Doctor (Healer) and of course 9 New Yorkers.

The Undercover detective, as per the other games, would investigate a player at the same time the Mafia had a player 'knocked off'.

The Vigilante would have a player he suspected, and should he be killed by the mafia, then should the player he suspected be one, he would take him out with him at the time he was killed. Should the game be left with 1 Mafia and 1 vigilate, the New Yorkers would win.

As per the other games, the doctor would keep an eye on one player per night, and should that player be attacked by Mafia he would get him to hospital in time to save him. The doctor would know the who the Mafia attacked, and the player would remember passing out and awaking up in hospital (i.e. being saved), but would not know who saved him.

Lastly, when the game takes place, the first person killed by the Mafia would be an NPC (non-player character), so that the game kicks off with the all the players deciding who to have killed by the Swat Team (hanging / Burning).

The Mafia may have contact with each other outside the game as normal, the New Yorkers cannot. There would be no method of random available, so the New Yorkers would have to rely on someone to make a random selection (unseen) and hope they hadn't asked a Mafia member to make the roll.

As stated, the game would not start for a few days yet and the Werewolf game would be finished, with the Vampire one well along it's path. But I wanted to set out some firm and fixed rules, that I would hope, would balance the game as closely as possible, whilst offering a new setting.

Cheers
wackogenius

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2006 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

sounds good to me, im very new to all this but having clear rules helps a lot, even in understanding the other currently running games. if this does get underway in a few days i would be very interested in playing, about time i got into the forum here a bit more.

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2006 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't do it. I hate New Yorkers! On second thought, string up anyone is a win win!

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2006 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

i would like to participate in your mobster game!! dang, i should have had a nick of Sopranos, not Earlp! Razz

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2006 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

From what I read this is just like WW - is that what you're planning to do? The way we played Mafia was (IIRC) 2 gangsters (kill someone every night), 2 policemen (they "scry" someone every night) and the doctor. But then again the games were something like 10-13 players maybe, a bit smaller than this, but from what I remember, the games were pretty even. Of course, part of it was to notice people lying (by facial expressions and voice etc.), and if they make noise (everyone else shut their eyes, and the gangsters pointed at who was gonna die, so they moved). And when you killed somebody, you didn't get to know his alignment.

But if you want to run just a normal WW game, it's cool too Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2006 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Wanted to run a normal WW type game, but with the fixed criteria as above.

Just read about the Mafia thing from what Brownrob said in a thread somewhere, and although I wanted to follow the normal WW rule structure the theme sounded different, and fun.

This way the role players get to play the thread a bit differently.
Jeppan

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2006 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds cool
Fama

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2006 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh - very true. The beginning of WW3 (hehe) was very promising fluffwise - but sadly it got dropped after a while.

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2006 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama wrote:
Ahh - very true. The beginning of WW3 (hehe) was very promising fluffwise - but sadly it got dropped after a while.

well, it certainly seemed to annoy some people off, so I abandoned it
Jeppan

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2006 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It was too long, after a while you grow bored... Very Happy
Borgen

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2006 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I would play now that my first experience landed me dead quite quickly. Might I suggest a new role:

Freemasons - these are villagers who know each other to be villagers, and can talk to each other at night in the same way that werewolves can talk to each other at night.

20 players - 3 Mafia, 1 evil detective (sorcerer), 1 detective (seer), 1 healer, 2 freemasons, 1 vigilante.

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2006 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Borgen wrote:
I would play now that my first experience landed me dead quite quickly. Might I suggest a new role:

Freemasons - these are villagers who know each other to be villagers, and can talk to each other at night in the same way that werewolves can talk to each other at night.

20 players - 3 Mafia, 1 evil detective (sorcerer), 1 detective (seer), 1 healer, 2 freemasons, 1 vigilante.

I do like that one Borgen.

I was writing up rules for a WW variant that I plan on running at some point in the growing WW cycle here. They are less mafia-related and more medieval-related, but take what you will:

The Witch
The Witch is an Evil Human who wins with the Wolves.
- Each night, the Witch can scry one player for their alignment only (good or evil). They do not learn specific player Roles.
- If the Witch is executed by the town, then they may send a PM and name one person who is the target of their Dying Curse. The target player will rapidly grow ill and die that very night at feeding time. No other player powers can prevent this (e.g. Healer).

The Slayer
This Role is designed for games with large numbers of players (30+)
- If the Slayer is killed by Wolves, then they may target one player to kill with their dying action. This attack can be nullified by the Healer.
- When the Slayer dies, a new one is chosen... If the Slayer is killed by any means, the GM selects a new Slayer from the remaining innocent Villagers who have no other Role. If no Villagers qualify, then there is no more Slayer.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2006 - 10:33 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, I was planning on not introducing any new rules, just the ones in my first post.

Some of the new rules are a little confusing and I just wanted to start a game with fixed and simple rules.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2006 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

so, any more updates?! Wink
kemimutt

Post   Posted: Jul 29, 2006 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I should skip the evil detective. Its hard enough to find out who they are even without this detective throwing people of track.
 Jump to: