24 coaches online • Server time: 01:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Daft

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Where is Miricle Max when you need him? He should be on the Fumbbl pitch.

I've been pondering the first annoyance a rookie finds when he joins Fumbbl. My favorite fantasy race is Dwarfs and before coming here, I had played only 3 games on the tabletop. Therefore I knew nothing of their fearsome reputation and built a team of them for fun not knowing they are feared due to the mayhem they cause.

Imagine my surprise when I put them on gamefinder, and ages pass without any takers on my challenges.

While waiting for that challenge acceptance from somebody I went off and made a list of gobos. Once the list was approved, they were placed on the gamefinder as well. Needless to say, offers to play poured in. Until tonight, every game save one that my dwarfs have played in have been against friends of mine from other forums.

I quickly learned that beating a dwarf is not so difficult but living to tell about it is. It is pure and simple fear that keeps others away. It is the very real fear of death.

The solution is simple. We need a miricle man for those squishy teams. (and only for the squishy teams) After the game is over, the dead are taken to miricle max who proclaims them a little dead, mostly dead, or all dead. (roll a die. 1-4 cured, 5 niggled, 6 all dead)

This would be no change to the actual game, it would simply improve the survivability of the squishy races. In theory, woodies could afford to play teams that are tough or rely on fouling.

Could I get some other thoughts on this?
Sysiphos

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Better not in this case...
Ironik

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Uhm no way?
Daft

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

could I get a better response than no way or better not? How about why not?
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

We need less 'why wont you play my dorfs?' threads.
DragonsMaw

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not? Because then money makes less matter, if something dies, then gets saved, you don't pay to replace it. Then you have huge amounts of money sitting in elf teams treasuries. Then chaos teams and dwarf teams are left MILES behind in team ratings. It totally unbalances things. Though having to agree with the heck no idea sucks... cause i'm elfy, and we die alot :*( But i agree that people shouldn't avoid dwarves cause we like our elves.... it does kinda take the fun out of it for everyone else...
Oventa

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

because it does not make sense?
there are reasons why some races have lower av and some have higher.
simple as that

(and that from a guy who plays woodies mostly ...)
Sysiphos

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

because it is not in the rules. Basta.
Daft

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you dragonsmaw. Your response makes sense. However I must disagree and argue a bit.

Currently, an elf team can be decimated before getting off the ground by playing a bashing team. Even later, a death and a couple of niggles spells disaster because you cannot simply hire a new replacement for 40k even though they die as quickly as their gobos counterparts.

To the contrary. Currently, a heavily armored fellow lives longer and is far less likely to die on the pitch. All the while, they can hoard their gold until the are eventually niggled into retirement.

In my mind, this keeps the in game mechanics as they are while simply adding survivability to squishies. As a dwarf player, I don't mind that you rank up a little quicker as long as you play those at your power level.

If you are good enough to beat me in an even game, I don't want to be avoided because you simply want to save your back side.
Fama

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't it funny how the same guy complains about people not playing his dwarf team, and wants a division where you shouldn't turn challenges down?

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

@Britnoth

Yes, we do need less of those threads. There would be less if so many players did not avoid them.
Sysiphos

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

you can stop reading here, nothing new to come
DragonsMaw

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:37 Reply with quote Back to top

*shrug* thats what makes elves hard to play... we die alot.... it terribly sucks... but nothing would stop elves from not wanting to play dwarves... personally... i play everyone... and i just hide alot.... you can't kill my whole team if i keep you to a cpl blocks a turn....

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

@Fama

If you take a look at most of the games I've played, it has been with several teams. The dwarven games have only been against friends. I would like a situation where no matter what type of team you bring, people would want to play you. That's all.

And yes I am that same guy. I would be in the same situation as everyone else. When I put Gobos on the gamefinder I would have to accept a game against the claw/rsc team. But that is for the other thread. If you would like to discuss that thread, please go back there and do so.

Each of these threads are different suggestions in an attempt to improve this already wonderful game.

Now, back on topic. Why not give elves, halflings, and perhaps skaven such an ability?
Fama

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2006 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. Fine. First, ranked follows the LRB (when possible), so no such thing will be added there. Second, why would you give them such a thing? They don't need it that badly, even if you lose a few players, you can always retire the team and make a new one or recover.

Jump to: