16 coaches online • Server time: 04:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tias_DK

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2006 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Here they are:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=313114

This is the first team I've had that I can actually keep winning with, and as such I'd like to develop them well and prepared to deal with all eventualities. Well, almost all eventualities!

It should be noted that I prefer a flexible team where all players can do several things rather than a higly specialized one - I reckon that if the special player crucial to the passing play/defense/whatever gets fouled out or killed in a fluke, I would wish for another player that could get the job done very quick! Smile

The problems my team face right now IMHO are Khemri - they can outrun the mummies but then they still have to dodge, a risky proposition at best; and dodgy teams like amazons and elves - While I will definitely consider getting Tackle for several players( likely some or all of my CWs), there are so many other juicy skills and mutations to take Very Happy

Any and all advice welcome, please explain why you make the suggestion you do( I can always learn more about the game and still consider myself a bit of a newbie to 4.0); and please don't get into long-winded arguments about the 'right way' to develop a chaos team, as there are undoubtedly many opinions on the matter.

A heap of thanks in advance!
- Tias

"I could never be emo. Who could stand the posturing?"
"Yeah, if I had to listen to music that bad, I'd be depressed too."
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2006 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

In short:

block, guard

Claw.

That was in very short actually.

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2006 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn straight Smile But why?

Granted, it makes for a super effective basher squad, but I'd like to have a more versatile team capable of making contra touchdowns; therefore the two beastmen with SH.

"I could never be emo. Who could stand the posturing?"
"Yeah, if I had to listen to music that bad, I'd be depressed too."
Rugzif

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2006 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

You wanna get a Big Hand on one of those SH goats, and pray for +ag on one of ur guys Razz

If you wanna play the passing game maybe get extra arms and twoheads on one of em to make him a catcher, if u get lucky on the rolls that is Wink

Foul appearance might also be a good choice if u wanna play defensive.

The reason for sk8bcns answer would be block, guard, claw is that it is ALOT easier scoring when ur opponent got very few people on pitch Twisted Evil

All ur cw's should get block, guard, claw/mb as they are ur main killer machines.
JRHartley

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2006 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

i agree. "It should be noted that I prefer a flexible team where all players can do several things rather than a higly specialized one". youve kinda gotta drop that attitude with chaos. bash them for the first half and then try scoring in the 2nd. if you want flexible hard teams go for orcs.
JRHartley

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2006 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

that said, you can still go for a range of bashiness - spread around between block tackle guard mightyblow and DP on your first skilled beastmen.
TheFallenAngel

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2006 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Your troll seems effective but if he needs replacing id take a Ogre everytime.

Looking at your team i feel the double Sure Hands a bit of a waste... But then im the lucky guy who has 3 AG 4 players and a Big Hand.

I try to pick develop my player as they progress.

Block first ( unless i land a Stat increase or double )

Then either Guard, Tackle , Mighty Blow depending on how many ive got in similar roles.
Zaghrog

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2006 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

About the big guy's future replacement: remember that Minotaurs are only AV8, they get killed very quick (well, relatively...), so don't ever take one of those. Sure, frenzy can be a nice skill on a big guy, and Wild Animal is better than Really Stupid, sometimes even better than Bone Head. Still, a big guy needs to survive long if he wants to develop.

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go...
Fama

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2006 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason why people go bashy on chaos, is because it works. Ballplaying on chaos doesn't work. A mixture of 2 can work to some extent, but bashing works probably as well - maybe even better. So 2x sure hands is too much, IMO. You should just carry the ball with one beastman in a cage, and handoff to someone you want to score with.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2006 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I got two tackle quite early with my latest Chaos team, on two beastmen (more MA means they get to where they're needed easier). Although that cut down on guard, I've not regretted the decision. Gutterrunners, skinks and let's not forget about Orc blitzers that quite often come with blodge... Tackle is vital!

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2006 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

As always i am the odd one out here. Chaos have an appalling win rate here on fumbbl, and IMHOopinion that is because of 2 things

1/ Low TR chaos are one of the hardest teams to win with, as they have no skills
2/ People try to bash too much with them

The problem with a bashy chaos team comes down to the open format we play in. You will end up playing a higher percentage of games against other bashy teams, which with AV8 means you are going to lose players off the pitch at an alarming rate. Before you know it 2nd half begons and you now have less players than your opponent. Most of you hardest hitters will be off the pitch ko'd or injured leaving you with rookie beastman to face up to a beating.

Now if you can score quicklly there would be more chance of those ko's coming back. So ,again IMHO, you are right to want a versitile chaos team. You want a chaos team that avoids recieving injuries more than one that dioes them. Why waste doubles on claw when you can get MB on a normal roll? Think about it logically, with claw AV 9 becomes 7. but that is all you will play. Whereas a few MB players and you will probably get those AV8 teasm too, which with MB becomes AV7. Now if you don't take MB you will play elves too which have AV7. So in fact the bashy skills don't make much of a difference in an open format.

So 2 surehands beastmen mean that when one goes out (and with av8 he will) you will have that cover. A few FA chaos warriors is good to tie up nastier players with, and stop passing around them. Tentacles if you get lucky next and you can concentrate on holding those recievers. You will want a few blitzer beastmen with block/tackle to make strikes with and a few protective ones with block/guard.

As i said this is all my own opinion, but i did make a chaos team that played 99 games without mb/claw/rsc and they had 44/23/34. Which considering was when i was a worse coach was quite good. For every bashy chaos team you show me that is successful i can probably show you 3 that aren't.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2006 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Zaghrog wrote:
About the big guy's future replacement: remember that Minotaurs are only AV8, they get killed very quick (well, relatively...), so don't ever take one of those. Sure, frenzy can be a nice skill on a big guy, and Wild Animal is better than Really Stupid, sometimes even better than Bone Head. Still, a big guy needs to survive long if he wants to develop.

How is Wild Animal better than bonehead ever? Its always a 2+ with bonehead, and at best a 2+ with WA, surely it must be worse...
kemimutt

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2006 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
Zaghrog wrote:

How is Wild Animal better than bonehead ever? Its always a 2+ with bonehead, and at best a 2+ with WA, surely it must be worse...

The wild animal still works if he fail his roll. He keeps his tacklezone and his assist (often with guard) unlike the bonehead that stands around like a stupid moron, and the opponent can run freely around him causing a huge gap in your line.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2006 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yah, just realised sorry. NOW I feel stupid....

As to the discussion, I would say for a survival chaos team, I would consider a couple of blodging beastmen. Quite hard to put down, as there will probably be more juicy targets for the tacklers, and gives you a good chance of making that blitz you need..

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2006 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Chaos teams are ALL about the blitz. I have seen a few common mistakes on fumbbl regarding chaos:

1.) Too much guard on the beastmen.
2.) Too many claws.... not enough ball/positioning skills.

Problem is chaos are not "bashers" like CDs, Khem, or Orcs. Most of your guys are AV 8 and all start with nothing. If you try to get in a slugfest with these teams... don't expect the result to turn out good.

Instead Chaos can slice through with some of the best natural blitzers in the game. Beastmen seriously rock. Keeping them out of TZs and back behind your line lets you choose how you want to dismember your opponent. As useful as claw is, frenzy is actually more devastating in terms of what it does to your opponent's positioning. Clawed CWs are nice for opening turn carnage....... but after that people will just dodge away from you and your mighty MA 5.

Give yourself a backfield full of blitzing "tools". By tools..... i mean a beastman with claw, one with frenzy, even a strip baller. Use the blitz to clear off other guys and for god's sake... get tents on your first CW as soon as possible.

I tend to avoid big hand only because i usually have an AG 4 beastman for picking up the ball. Two heads is a nice mutation. Foul appearance replaces dodge as a means to stay alive.

The reason i say too much guard on beastmen is a mistake is that a beastman with block and guard is meant for sticking in people's TZs. With an av of 8 and the schedule of the average chaos team... they are just too soft to play man up like that.

Make your beastmen as multi purposed as possible. If you get a beastman with sure hands to roll a double... don't take big hand. Just overkill really. A player with claw does not need RSC (i have never used that skill with my Goats).

As for the big guy.... troll all the way. Only reason to have a big guy is to take punishment on the line so regen is better than anything the Ogre has (and don't even mention the mino).

Happy Hunting,
__Synn
 Jump to: