56 coaches online • Server time: 23:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2005 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Arcon wrote:
There are also coaches who edit their Vampire info saying they will score on OFAB.

Really? Cause that is actually flagrant cheating*, and announcing that you're planning to do it in print might not be the best idea... Rolling Eyes

*taking advantage of a bug/flaw in the client to get around a rule to your advantage.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2005 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, even if I am just a ocassional player and have very slight interaction in forums or the community I might as well give you my point of view on this issue. I am one of the worst coaches around, I hold barely 142CR and my current ranked teams are quite low on strength, having said that I must confess that every time (not really often lately really) I type the cursed word (bblfg) at #fumbbl I usually get around 6 or 7 queries from managers to play, and, most (not all, but most) of them are from coaches around +20CR than me, +15/25 TS and from teams directly opposed to mine (like all dwarves against my elves and such). Of course I am not a good coach, of course I have lots to learn and of course I could lose a game even if it was my team the one with the advantage, but I believe this kind of idea behind the Circle of the Elder could make the life of earthlings like me a bit easier. Of course I would still like to be able to play against one of the participants to get a good beating with some lesson in it instead of just a regular beating and since it is allowed I do not think its actually restricting anyone to play against anyone, its just some rules of good sportmaship I believe (which reminds me that around a month ago I wanted to play against a guy very high on CR and he was kind enough to warn me politely about my request of playing against him - and yeah, I lost anyway, but still... - )
Mezir

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2005 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:
Arcon wrote:
There are also coaches who edit their Vampire info saying they will score on OFAB.

Really? Cause that is actually flagrant cheating*, and announcing that you're planning to do it in print might not be the best idea... Rolling Eyes

*taking advantage of a bug/flaw in the client to get around a rule to your advantage.

I don't know how often I have to say this... It's not cheating. It's in DifferencesFromBoardgameFAQ.txt that a TD is scored as soon as you enter the endzone, not at the end of your action, this makes it perfectly alright to score with vamps when they OFAB. You can choose not to, but on the site it is legal.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2005 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

@Mezir:
I will have to dig it up at home, but in another thread it was deemed to be illegal after fumbbl-rules by guys I think of belonging to the admin-staff (though I have lost the overview).

@WiNG:
I was hoping, that it was viewed the way you say. Again, I repeat, that High-CR vs Low-CR matches are not prohibited - it`s just that the Low-CR-coach has to challenge and still wants to play, after the circle member has explained, why he is likely to win.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2005 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
@Mezir:
I will have to dig it up at home, but in another thread it was deemed to be illegal after fumbbl-rules by guys I think of belonging to the admin-staff (though I have lost the overview).

I browse this forum a lot and I clearely remember when Christer said it was legal, and I clearly remember that:
1-it's not legal on tabletop
2-you can do it on fumbbl but it's bad sportsmanship

And I never saw an admin saying it was illegal

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2005 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread covers the OFAB-subject:
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3813

The scoring is not cheating on fumbbl, though some (BMM, Galak) argues heavily that it should be. Galak even states, that this flaw means, that fumbbl-stats cant be used as playtesting input regarding vampire team.

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2005 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I havent read through all the blah/sarcasm/spam that infects most threads, but back to the original topic. Do the rules of the group apply to all of my teams ranked/unranked? By 6% do you mean that if my TS is 200 I can only play coaches rated 148-153 teams that have TS 212 or more? What if I get a bunch of handicaps will that mess things up?

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2005 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The rules apply for the ranked teams. That doesn`t mean, you should crush noobs in unranked - just that it won`t be monitored as strictly.

You interpret the 6% right. If you get handicaps, just add or substract 3 points TS from your TS per handicap given or recieved.
Csonti

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2005 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought the site's CR system calculates a handi for +/- 5 TS points.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2005 - 08:32 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
@Mezir:

In that thread, BadMrMojo surmised its illegality, then a news post was made by Christer concerning DifferencesFromBoardgameFAQ.txt, upon which the interpretation changed to legal.

So what sk8bcn said applies.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2005 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I would just like to note that there are only 335 coaches that are 163+ on fumbbl which means that there will be very few coaches to play with the "open challenge" option especially when you are talking about playing with a high TR/TS team. However, I don't think this will be a problem as I rarely ask for games in ranked anyway. Usually the coach comes to me looking for a game and I don't check his CR, sometimes i don't check his team, and once in a while i don't even ask what the teams tr/ts is. This will present a new challenge in finding games except there seems to be an easy out for this problem since one of the rules states I only have to inform him of my supposed advantage if/when I have one, which is something I do anyway. I find it sad however that the league has rules about team alteration after game acceptance, are there people who actually do this frequently?

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2005 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Suppose you are playing with any team equal to 200 SR. Then, according to the rules of the circle of the elder, you will be safe to stay in the group when you give your opponent the following advantage:

CR 143-148: give him a 24 SR advantage
CR 148-153: give him a 14 SR advantage
CR 153-158: give him a 6 SR advantage
CR 158-163: do not have more than a 6 SR advantage

When you recieve a handicap, add 3 SR per handicap. When you give away a handicap, you can substract 3 SR per handicap.
(not sure if this is right)

I made this summary because I do not want to calculate the percentages at every single game I play. If you follow the above guidelines with any team under or equal to 200 SR, you will be safe to stay in the group.
(Of course, if you play with a team lower in SR you will not have to give away as much in SR as presented above, but you will be following the rules for sure if you do, without having to calculate the percentages)

Strong indication to play only coaches above 153 CR i'd say.

PS: Rules on the group page and forum thread aren't the same, I used the rules of the forum
 Jump to: