28 coaches online • Server time: 08:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
spencerthomas

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2005 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

allo,

i'm just getting into bloodbowl and have searched over the net for some tips and general info. i cant seem to find a skaven play book, per-se, as i've seen for other teams.

what i'm really trying to figure out is how to deal with heavy teams. guys that cage and are nasty to hurt.

the big heavies i'll be dealing with are..
dwarves
orcs ( starting with 3 black orcs and 3 blitzers )
and Lizards starting with 6 Sarus.

i know the game has balance, i just dont know how to stop them on the defence without loosing a bunch of rats. i know that is a nature, but i cant afford that in early season. i know, later with a few mutation rolls i can break up the cage, but early on help is really what i'm looking for.

what i do know : net defence, stay a square back, they can only blitz once. i know this works great for the elves, but i need 3+ to dodge out, and i Really like rolling 2's.

this is the list i'm starting with
2 storm vermin
2 gutter runners
1 thrower
7 line rats
2 rerolls
7 fan factor ( i found this great for winning storm the pitch and throw rock )

thanks for throwing the assist guys.

-sc
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 02:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Look on Talk Blood Bowl for Narkotic's Skaven Guide. It's bloody brilliant.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

i'm signed up there but cannot seem to find that, can you link me?
IrishRagan

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Its in the archives section. Once your in there it's clearly labeled...
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8994
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

This game I played against IrishRagan is an excellent example of how a Skaven team should defend a bashy team. Now, I admit I made stupid mistakes, but it was his excellent play which gave me just enough rope to hang myself. Check it out, it's excellent. Oh, and I even scored five casualties in the match.

http://fumbbl.com/replay/JBBReplay.jnlp?game=908265
spencerthomas

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, thanks.
i'm at work right now, so when i get home i'll try and watch your game. but i have another question....

how do you do this Early in the teams development? i guess i probably should have clarified abit more.
i read through Narks guide, and all good info..abit of which i already had guess...but i know how to deal with a cage if i have a +AG Strip Ball Tackle storm vermin....but how do you do it with base guys....basicly as if it was 1off games.
Optihut

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 03:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Some sound advice in that guide. However, playing on fumbbl is a tad different than playing in closed leagues: The guy with the guide said he played 10 games, won 9 and was champion. It makes sense to take a skill like "leader" on a double then. Since you can play a lot of games on fumbbl and aren't restricted to just a few as in a tournament, leader becomes a useless skill. You're better off just playing until you have 6 regular rerolls and reserve the rare doubles for skills like guard, claw or razor sharp fangs than to waste them on leader. Just my 2 cents.
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2005 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

small piece of advice from an elf player... u dont block the cage, u just slow down its progress with tackle zones. also, try to block the linemen of the opposing bashy team... if u KO 3 linemen, u have numerical advantage which u can then exploit to break holes into the cage...

also learn the beautiful concept of chain pushing. basically u block someone, who is pushed into a square occupied by someome else, who is also pushed back etc. with a bit of practice u can discect a cage by pushing an irrelevant player of your own into a cage without even dodging for example. most beginner ball carriers dont have block, so, hey presto...

even both down works in this situation, as ur opponents bashy low ag means he fumbles, and ur gutter runner can run in on ur next turn...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
Art_Wolf

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I play a fast skaven team and find the only defence is like Snotball says - to slow the block down and then breaking in through one side and aiming to get a blitz in at the ball carrier.