25 coaches online • Server time: 03:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
darkwing

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2003 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

In the beginning I didn't mind playing my agi team against str teams. I loved the ease in which they moved around and could score. Defense was ok too because I could run around the "Cage" or punch a hole through the line and harass the ball carrier.

However now that my dark elves have graduated into the 200+ str range, I always see 4 or 5 guards, mightly blows and tackles whenever I play str teams, and I just can't deal with it.

On defense I used to be able to manage by hoping to exploit the backside and leaping in to get at the ball carrier. Nowadays, the str teams can swarm the ball carriers with people who can guard. This make leaping in suicidal. I can still peck at the corners of the cage with blitz, but I'm forced to do so at even str blocks and hoping my rerolls can carry me through. Even when I'm successful, the other team just replaces the downed man with one of his many standing players. Meanwhile, the str team is blitzing me with str 4/5 monsters with mighty blow, tackle, claws, horns, and or/piling on, and it's just a matter of time before my players are KO'ed, BH'ed, SI'ed, or Dead. Dodge is just about useless cause half the other team has tackle so that even getting off the line has become a reroll fest.

On offense I can still do well with a healthy squad, but by the second half it's not unusual to have 4 or 5 people incapacitated on the sideline and I lose the manpower to carry out my offense.

I'm getting sick of pounded into the ground. What the heck should I be doing?!
Sinner

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2003 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I play darkies as well. Well, one of the ways would be to play their game Very Happy. caging is boring but there are ways to stop them: leave them only the blitz to take one down and then strike back! As guard should be first choice on doubles you should have 3-4 by now. Use them wisely, you get an eye for where to place them best to get maximum rolls. To those MB/tackle/PO/Claw/RSC players: get 2 DP and foul...them...out. there´s no other way i guess. BTW it´s nice to give your guards leap so you can leap into the cage for assisting the blitzing guy. It is possible to win, but of course you need some luck with the armour rolls... for and against.

Of course you -should- be able to score with only 5 or 6 players left Wink
Woodies can score so you can. 3 deep into the field (leap helps again) then a long pass with your safe throw tosser et voilá... TD (I know this sounds easier then it is... but it can be done).
Still, playing str teams from time to time is okay, but you don´t have to do it all of the time.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2003 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunatly, AGI teams really do find it hard to cut the mustard so you have to be a lot smarter than your strength opponents. With DE's your skills are really in your ability to use agility to your advantage. That being said it is fairly critical for your linemen to have the nessesary skills. First skills I give linemen in a darkelf team are block and guard. These save your hide so much that they are nessesary. Double rolls if your lucky with linemen another great skill is jump up, allowing you to get in critical blocks. Your linemen against strength teams should be a roaming pack of assisters that help each other with blocks. Never split them too far from each other unless they are assisting a blitzer.

The reason DE's get 4 blitzers is because they are suited to hit and run tactics. Blitzers are good for, like you said, running around the back of the pack and picking off ball carriers and hitting the under belly of the cage tactic. Dauntless, side step and such skills are great for blitzers as they are the players that are targeted after smashing the ball carrier.

In general , life for a agility team is hard. With offense it is better to keep your distance for opposing players and make them try and blitz you to be effective. Packs of guard skilled players still help in offense as well. Keeping out of a muscle fight should be your main objective against strength teams. Weakening their side should also be a high priority, doubley so with str 5+ players. Try and get them on their own, take em down and foul them out. It's the best way.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2003 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

right then you need some key players to defend against cages

your first and most valuable player is your kicker

kick deep to the corner you want to, this means they have to make more dice rolls to get the ball into a cage or form the cage further down the pitch

next a block leap stripballer is great, forces them to keep the ball on someone with sure hands, usually going to have to take a 2 dice against block cause they will hav guard players about, something i havn't tried is giving them frenzy, so maybe you could try with a witch elf, then you can push the ball carrier back out the cage, or next to another player to get another block in

also very handy is a sidestep, shadowing, tackle, block, dodge, and possably diving tackle player (higher movement the better)

if you can get this player next to the ball carrier this can be a pain in the arse to get removed, even worse if you have 2 of them

As for the tactics involved its easier to tell you to go look at my skaven team players and then watch the replays from some matches, I have beaten a couple of good bashing teams 4-0 and i havn't scored a single 1 turn touchdown and i don't have a rat ogre, defence is about exploiting their weakness
DS

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2003 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Or you can hope you get a strength 5 witch elf, that helps my team a lot!!!!!!!!

i cant add much to the above but make them try and blitz you to move their cage forward
Hax

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2003 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

i think a bigger problem is to play STR-Teams with PO and mighty blow or RSC on there. this teams can kick ur players out of the game faster as u may see. you still may be able to win, but it may not be worth it !
Mully

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2003 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwing - many good tips above. Some of the best from above are
1) Get strip ball - means a 1 die block succeeds 4/6 of the time. Plus if the cage is tightly packed there is a chance the ball may eventually scatter outside it.
2) Use frenzy to get an elf next to the ball carrier. (frenzy/guard or leap/guard a must)

Or - let them score without inflicting too many casualties on you. You score back and its 1-1 at half. Then take your chances in the 2nd half with a full squad.

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2003 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Grum's advice is key. Use your kicker to put the ball deep and force the team to make as many rolls to move the ball into the cage. Also, placing the ball to the side and short can force bash teams to spread out and cover the blitz.

As other have said, when the cage is formed and you need to break it, the Witch elves are the key. With blodge, sidestep,jump up, frenzy and a few linemen with guard, you should be able to peel the cage like a banana and hopefull get at least a 1d block with a blitzer with tackle/stripball and leap.

A team that cages needs a few turns to score, so if you have some time, just reform your defence by dodging away and taking 1 blitz a turn.

I've noticed alot of coaches give up playing bashy teams b/c they lose patience and get bored palying cage tactic teams. At first, AG teams have alot fo fum dodging around and sacking the ball carrier. Against a cage, I a) reform my defence b) assault/stuff the cage c) use leap, stripball, guard, frenzy skills to pluck the pearl from the oyster.

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2003 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf - "peeling the banana"? "plucking the pearl from the oyster"?

STOP you're making me horney!

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2003 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

That was way too much information...

A simple little metaphor and suddenly... ew...

Jump to: