44 coaches online • Server time: 16:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Colin

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2003 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

The JBB client doesn't exactly follow the LRB pushback rules. In the client, all players are pushed straight back, which means it's possible to chain-pushback say 4 players, as long as they are in a row, and the one next to the sidelines goes off. This will only happen if all the available squares to push the blocked player into are occupied.

Quoting the DifferencesFromBoardGameFAQ:

(2) Chain push backs are done in a straight line. This is
to avoid all the code necessary to flip back and forth
between coaches on each subsquent pushback

Note: This has changed since about JBB v6.5 or so. Pushbacks now work much more like the tabletop game.

Last edited by Colin on %b %02, %2003 - %22:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Rorshac

Post   Posted: May 31, 2003 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

P = any player
- = empty square

|P -
|O -
|- X

Is there an "official" ruling on this in the boardgame? My last league administrator argued that player O would infact be pushed into "P"s square, since the crowd isn't an empty square - meaning that you could only push players off like this:

|
|OX
|

Mind you, I suspect Bias on his part - the player that would have been pushed off was *his* trollslayer.
slackman

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2003 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

yes, there is an official ruling. the square containing "P" is OCCUPIED. the two remaining squares are not. this means, he is pushed into one of the two remaining squares. since both of them happen to be off the pitch, he's pushed out of bounds.

there are 3 types of squares concerning pushbacks. the order of selection is as follows:

open squares: no player in that square, can have the ball in it.
crowd squares: although considered OPEN squares, these may only be chosen if no other open square exists.
occupied squares: a player is in that square.

if there is an open square (one not occupied by another player) he is pushed there. if no open squares, then he is pushed into the crowd (assuming he's on the sideline). if none open nor crowd squares, he is pushed into an occupied square.

slackman 42
Burtoni

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

what about this one?.....'S'=Side Step, 'X'=Frenzyed Player, 'O'=Opponent

|- - -
|SOX
|- - -

Does 'S' get pushed out of bounds?
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Another Bostonian! Go Sox!

Sorry. In this case, X blocks O and pushes him to either a) above S or b) below S. X follows up (assuming just pushes here) and throws another block so the final looks like this:

a)
|O--
|X--
|S--
|---
|---

or b)
|---
|---
|S--
|X--
|O--

Either way, S never actually gets moved at all, regardless of which team he's on.

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

The sidestepping player would be pushed out if it looked like this:

|P- -
|SOX
|P- -

and you wouldn't even need frenzy... Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The best point of pushing a player out of bounds is the fact the acroding to LRB 2.0 you can' t use your Appothcary to heal a potentail injured player.

Toppyt
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Call me crazy, but I'd say the best part about sideline pushing is that you can get someone out of the way to make a play without having to break armor. With the "beloved" apothecary rule, it's unfortunate, but sometimes worthwhile if you really need to clear a lane in order to score or force a turnover by pushing the ball carrier out.

You know, scoring... the object of the game...

Sigh... Yes, I know the name of the game. For the love of God, don't tell me "It's BLOODbowl!"

If you have a choice between pushing a ballcarrier out and knocking them down, then by all means, leave them on the pitch. You get a chance at some SPPs for a CAS and he gets a chance to use the apothecary if needed. Either way you've caused your turnover and you can snatch up the ball. If you've got one chance to get rid of the Norse Blitzer who can jump up and take out the ballcarrier and prevent your game-winning score, then send him crowd surfing.

He probably had PO and MB anyway. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2003 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

if you don't want to go into the crowd stay away from the sides of the pitch simple equation really
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2003 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
Call me crazy, but I'd say the best part about sideline pushing is that you can get someone out of the way to make a play without having to break armor. With the "beloved" apothecary rule, it's unfortunate, but sometimes worthwhile if you really need to clear a lane in order to score or force a turnover by pushing the ball carrier out.

I have to agree with the no apoth rule being the best part, but, not for the reason you think. Knowing that a player near the sidelines is a player facing death at the hands of his fans puts a healthy respect for that chalk line into peoples heads. This is important, because the sides of the field have a number of advantages, especially for faster teams. If I want to keep them from running circles around me and outscoring, it helps a lot that they know that running the easy sidelines also risks an easy death.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: