24 coaches online • Server time: 02:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fama

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2005 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Although I personally don't really have a chaos team, so I can't comment on that, I'd still say troll.

Why? Av 9 and regen.

Ma 4 isn't that bad, I've never had to GFI with him, since he is just giving assists and taking the blows.

Really stupid isn't that bad either, when you learn to use it. You don't have to "man" the roadblock, if there's noone near and you don't want him to fail the RS roll, don't move him! No RS roll -> no fail.

Ogres are good too, with regen changed to thick skull and 1 more MA. The MA is very good, but thick skull doesn't protect against casulties (although it's useful to not have the BG KO'd). But he has more MA, and you might start blitzing with him. And when you start blitzing with him, you start rolling 1 to bonehad and losing the blitz, or rolling skulls and bdowns.

I use my troll to tie other players up, and he rarely blocks. Of course this leads to slow skilling, but he only needs guard anyway.

About mino's, sure they can get 3d, but you should have enough guard that you can get 3d with the troll, at least I get. Plus even the 3d can fail, like last game my troll got skull bdown bdown. That's exactly why you shouldn't block with him a lot.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2005 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

troll has a better negative ability than mino.

mino can get mutations.

if you want to win games, the troll looks a bit better.
if you want to kill stuff, definately the mino.

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2005 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I never tried so far, but a minotaur with break tackle would be great for a desperate blitz into cage. With horns he would have 2 dice for the 1st block against a st3 ball carrier, even when there are 2 assisters.

maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I recommend doing like I did and getting two doubles on your minotaur. That way you get block and a nice mutation like claw.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2005 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Claw? On a guy who comes with MB? Why not Spikes?

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2006 - 00:27
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

A Mino with block is still probably the best Big Guy in BB for my money. (though double HAVE to be spent on tentacles. Claw and even spikes are a waste)

But he isnt going to get block, most likely.

And he will die without it.
maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2006 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously block is the first double skill choice. But I don't think claw is a waste. Even already having mighty blow, claw (or rsc) almost doubles CAS rates against armor 9 (which is what probably 2/3 of your opponents will be playing, given who will play chaos). The math is something like 6.6 % CAS rates with mighty blow against armor 9, 11.8% CAS rate with mighty blow and claw. Besides, I'll just take Tentacles on my third double...
deathgerbil

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2006 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

To me, minotaurs without pro are generally wastes of money and a player space regardless of any skills they have. Their so immobile that any skills are pretty much useless unless used on a blitz. When I see minotaurs, I can only really think of one real use, - to take down other big guys with their horns and high strength, and even then that's kinda iffy since they have such low armor by comparison.

I'd rarely consider using a minotaur to blitz someone when you could simply use a beastman with horns for a 2d block with no chance of the minotaur "roaring with rage." Also, as torso said, you'll have much more powerful blitzers on a chaos team, - even a claw/mb guy is usually preferred to make the hit than any big guy is, with no chance of your blitz backfiring and screwing your team over for the rest of the drive.

To be really effective, a minotaur would need 3 doubles, - one for block, one for pro, and one for a mutation (tentacles i think would be the most effective). Without block, no one fears a minotaur, just -2d block the bugger and odds are he'll either be pushed back, needing another blitz to get into position, or knocked over (just as good). Without pro, he won't be moving much anyways. Without a mutation, he's just another player on the field, - and not an especially powerful one at that since remember, chaos gets mutations. You'll prize your claw/mb or sidestep/tentacles guys much more than you will prize a simply frenzy/mighty blow "wild animal." And for slugging matches, minotaurs really don't have the armor needed to fill their role, as av8 breaks MUCH more often than av9 does.

To be honest, whenever I play a game with another chaos team, minotaurs are among the first things targeted by my killer players, just because their so easy to kill. I try to avoid the trolls like the plague with my stars, but minotaurs have such low armor and wild animal, which makes them often times stranded far away from the rest of their team to support them. So naturally they end up in the cas box more often than not, - giving my team a massive strength advantage.

For the troll/ogre debate, - i guess it really depends on your play style and scope. If you play an elfbowl chaos team, then I can see a troll being too slow for you, and slowing you down a little bit. Trolls are generally used for the brawl down the center type of chaos team, but i'm not sure how much I'd count on an ogre in that sort of team with agility 2 movement 5 and no rerolls. But as I said before in my previous post, the ogre is still better than the troll in movement and combined with thick skull (which is used more often than regen), which makes it a better buy than the troll for the short term. In the long term, the troll will outlast the ogre by far, - making it a matter of preference between the two.

With regards to bonehead. - If you understand how to use a troll correctly, you should be able to treat him just like a more durable ogre and take punishment from your opponent's uberkiller, and save the rest of your team many times over. If you don't know how to use a troll, then of course he'll be worthless. If you get really good with a troll, you won't even have to "babysit" the troll the vast majority of the time, and then the troll will all of the sudden be at least the equivilant of an ogre on the field in regards to usefulness.
Idolen

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2006 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey.... this mino is worth evry penny I spent on him.... and who really wanna play safe Smile Minos are much more FUN than any trool can be.

( By the way... this team was made in 2003... so the mino's block tackle are grandfathered.. )

Point is. Minotaurs are the most fun and coolest looking in movies and we all play for fun right... =)

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=110011