28 coaches online • Server time: 03:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ansbach

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 03:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never played Chaos Dwarves before and am looking for some advice from experienced CD players on long-term team building. Here's the catch - I'm a big fan of rerolls and really want to start with four (and a high Fan Factor of course). Nothing like this is discussed in the race building strategy section.

This means I basically have 3 practical choices:

A.) 2 x Bull Centaurs and 9 x Hobgoblins
B.) 1 x Bull Centaur, 3 x Dwarves, and 7 x Hobgoblins
C.) 6 x Dwarves and 5 x Hobgoblins

Which one of those would be your choice and how viable do you think it is? My choice is probably B, but then how gimped are you starting without 2 Bull Centaurs and low on Dwarves?

What do you think about the 'generic' decision of choosing a 4th RR and a Chaos Dwarf over a Bull Centaur? My experience tells me to think of the BCs as more-or-less Big Guys, meaning it's a better long-term strategy to get the RR first - but I've never played CDs.

Also, what do you think about these extreme buys:

D.) 4 x Chaos Dwarves, 7 x Hobogoblins and 5 Rerolls?
E.) 2 x Chaos Dwarves, 9 x Hobgoblins and 6 Rerolls? (8FF instead of 9FF)

Obviously these choices would get off to an extremely slow start - but then again, maybe not with all of those rerolls - Hobgoblins really aren't that bad are they? Basically human linemen with AV7...
Bacillen

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 03:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Go for 6 dwarves they develop slowly but are tough as nails so you want start with as many of them as possible, and hope for early MVPs there. Your hobgobs will get all your early SPP's and then die..minimise their presence in your team.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah - the dwarves take by far the longest to skill up (unless you play a lot of games against flings Razz). Grab as many as possible.
My starting lineup for a long term team would definitely be option C.

peke

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't go wrong with 6x dorf, 1x bull, 3xRR, FF8 and rest hobos.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 04:24 Reply with quote Back to top

yer u dont reallly need 4 RRs to start with and a Bull is well worth its money
Doogs

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I recently built a cd team and had 6 dorfs, 6 hobs, 3 rr, and ff9. After only a few games I had made enough to get the 2 bulls.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 04:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Peke’s starting line up is about a good as any. Make getting an apothecary your first priority followed as soon as possible by the second Bull. Three re-rolls should be a good start for them and it gives you something to spend your earnings on after you have filled in the rest of your positional players. The Bull-Centaurs will be the cornerstone of the team, focus your development on them. Do not make the mistake of treating them just as another Big Guy; it would be wasting perhaps one of the best players available to any team.
peke

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

(peke peke peke peke peke. See, no capital P)

Errr. Anyways.

You shouldn't focus too much on the bulls. They make excellent blitzers, but they shouldn't be the team. If they are used for everything, rest of the team will suffer a lot. The hobos aren't very lasting players, but they are cheap and easy to skill up with dorfs and bulls helping and protecting them. Dorfs are excellent at taking the beating, tying up opposing players and beating the crap out of them.

Starting CD team doesn't need three rerolls anyways. Just focus blocking with the dorfs and move the ball with hobos. And use that blockless bull to make those not-too-important blitzes. First hoboskill should probably be sure hands to help at beginning too.

Well, this is just the way I see 'em.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 05:26 Reply with quote Back to top

My cd's started with 6 dwarves, 4rr's and 5 hobgobs (forget the FF). Lost the first match to some elves who dodged all around me, and was 0-1-2, but after that I took off, winning 13 of my next 15 matches. The secret to my way of thinking was scoring with the dwarves whenever possible. Yep, the dwarves. With agi2 they can catch the ball on 4+ just as easily as a bull can, and few outside of dwarves and orcs can cage-march down the pitch better than cd's. Typically, I'd give the ball initially to a hob (first one sure-hands, second kick, third dp, THEN block, etc) or a bull (break tackle, then block IMHO, with stripball/tackle coming next), then "screen" him from the enemy. They'd try like mad to get through my blockers at the ball, often forgetting a lone dwarf who was advancing ever farther, or maybe putting a lone rookie lino to "tie up" this weirdo away from the action. Dwarf blitzes through the block-less rookie once close enough to the endzone, then get him the ball. Hard to get more than one score this way, but if you get a dwarf who gets a couple cas or an MVP, let him do a score and advance far faster than relying upon a hoped-for extra cas, which I find will NEVER come until late. Scoring with dwarves requires the extra rr's and a little patience, but it's worth it!

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2006 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Get catch on your dwarven doubles !
:p
 Jump to: