24 coaches online • Server time: 09:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2006 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

My vote goes for the Troll. All you need from a CD big guy is a big LoS punching bag, and the extra armour + regenerate makes him well worth the money. I generally use the troll first in my turns provided he does not need to block Just moving him in contact with multiple opposing players and adding that often crucial guard assist makes them very useful indeed.
Why move him first? If he fails his RS roll you can try to find other ways to provide assists/get in the way with other players. A failed RS roll late in a turn may mean you are out of position.

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2006 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote for the troll as well, and definitely take one, like torsoboy said. Its one less hobbo. ST5 AV9 regen compared to ST3 splat armour. Just don't use him for important things. The mino needs a 4+ to get up or risk that 2db blitz without block on a 2+.....
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2006 - 12:07
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I used to swear by Mino. But now the have no block the 'reliability' of a troll comes into its own. Regen and armour.

You have to deal with the fact they you arnt going to play a lot of elves. And a BG with av8 says 'hurt me' especially on an av9 team.

Thougha Block Tentacles Mino is a thing of rare and great beauty.
heinz

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2006 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
My vote goes for the Troll. All you need from a CD big guy is a big LoS punching bag, and the extra armour + regenerate makes him well worth the money. I generally use the troll first in my turns provided he does not need to block Just moving him in contact with multiple opposing players and adding that often crucial guard assist makes them very useful indeed.
Why move him first? If he fails his RS roll you can try to find other ways to provide assists/get in the way with other players. A failed RS roll late in a turn may mean you are out of position.

Amen!
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2006 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that the choice between mino and troll depends on YOUR gamestyle. After all, are you a defensive minded player, running slow cages and tying up most players? yes then choose troll. You love to hit, cannot repress that envy to click on block with you BG for more damages? Take the Mino!

Hey, okay I d say the troll works better as a mino but if you don't feel like using him accordingly, better go for the mino, I think.

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2006 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that you're partly right. There are different styles that can be equally good, but I think Minos can encourage bad play style, if you aren't experienced, by tempting you to blitz with them every turn. One of the advantages of a Troll is that RS is such a risk, that you are happy to have them in the Guard role.

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm, so what your saying is, you chose the team with the best blitzer in fumbbl in the form of the centaur, and now you want to use a big guy you can only use effectively when blitzing? The troll is a better choice.

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Hank

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2006 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

My big guy on my cds: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=1699258
stormmaster1

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2006 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

A note on big guy turnovers. if you can get a 3DB then the odds of a turnover aren't that high. i've seen players risk "safe moves" like dodging with AG3 players and not think too much because of their dodge re-roll, yet the turnover is just as likely. Just because you can't get a re-roll doesn't always mean it's more risky than other actions. It just feels that way when it goes pete tong. i do agree with getting block though, it helps them stay on their feet (against any crazy half die block especially) and reduce turnovers to snake eyes proportions. the only times i wouldn't take block is when the BGs main use is TTM, or when used for tying up opponents: tentacles is cool on BGs. It's quite funny when you opposition wardancer can't escape your minotaur without a blitz.
 Jump to: