49 coaches online • Server time: 19:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bitesize

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2005 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, I know this has been answered before because I see the question in the troubleshooting part of the userguide - maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't see an answer to the question in the guide ... just the question.

Regardless, I installed JRE 5.0, the bbowl client 8.0 and then upgraded to the 8.1 with the patch. I configured the client as indicated in the guide... and I get the error when launching below. It also doesn't allow weblaunch I think.

Quote:
An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Category: Invalid Argument Error

Could not load file/URL specified: C:\Documents and Settings\AV\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6XF09KRQ\bbowl[1].jnlp

Thanks in advance for the help - I'm sure you've all heard this one before.
Slick

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2005 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Where did you copy your Blood Bowl directory to?

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2005 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it shouldn't be in temp files. That would mean it never got on your hard drive

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2005 - 06:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Everything is installed in a folder on the desktop. There shouldn't be any difference between that and being installed in C:/Program Files/ or such. Or do you think it would?

I can launch the client (and play), but only as a standalone game.
Wukong

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2005 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Try to reinstall "Java Web Start".

I had problems with 8.1 and Java 5.0.
No sounds you see!

I removed Java 5.0 and returned to Java 1.4.2_06. But then I couldn't webstart Bbowl.

But after I reinstalled "Java Web Start" the whole shebang runs smooth as a babys but!
bitesize

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2005 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I installed Java Web Start, and now its pretty much the same problem.

Same as before, I'm at the launch screen where I select a proxy, proxy name, etc.

I try to launch, it says "Java Web Start 1.01"

And then goes to a java web start screen:
"Unable to launch specified application".

Details:
"An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Category: Invalid Argument error

Could not load file/URL specified"

"CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified]

at com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)
"

"java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\AV\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NRPRNTKW\bbowl[1].jnlp (The system cannot find the file specified)

at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)

at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)

"
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2005 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

"java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\AV\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NRPRNTKW\bbowl[1].jnlp (The system cannot find the file specified)

look at that closely..it's looking for your bbowl[1].jnlp in your temporary Internet Files...it is probably not there, thus it can't find the file to run.

break it down..starting in
C:\
Documents and Settings\
AV\
Local Settings\
Temporary Internet Files\ <- this is the directory for temporary internet files. you dont' normally install programs here do you?
Content.IE5\ <- IE 5? need to upgrade I think Wink
NRPRNTKW\ <-no idea..is this the directory you installed bbowl into?
bbowl[1].jnlp <- the file it's looking for..is this even the right file? shouldn't it be looing for a bbowl.jar file?

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2005 - 20:53
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Install Mozilla Firefox. Then try launching the client using that. When it asks what to do with the jnlp file, tell it to open it with javaws.exe. Make sure it's javaws.exe and not anything else. You should be able to find it sort of close to where you installed your Java VM.
bitesize

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2005 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

GorTeX wrote:
Quote:

look at that closely..it's looking for your bbowl[1].jnlp in your temporary Internet Files...it is probably not there, thus it can't find the file to run.

break it down..starting in
C:\
Documents and Settings\
AV\
Local Settings\
Temporary Internet Files\ <- this is the directory for temporary internet files. you dont' normally install programs here do you?
Content.IE5\ <- IE 5? need to upgrade I think Wink
NRPRNTKW\ <-no idea..is this the directory you installed bbowl into?
bbowl[1].jnlp <- the file it's looking for..is this even the right file? shouldn't it be looing for a bbowl.jar file?

I'm NOT using IE 5.
bitesize

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2005 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Install Mozilla Firefox. Then try launching the client using that. When it asks what to do with the jnlp file, tell it to open it with javaws.exe. Make sure it's javaws.exe and not anything else. You should be able to find it sort of close to where you installed your Java VM.

I, unfortunately, can't install firefox. IE is (sadly) a must.
LofNazareth

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

If anyone has made any progress on this problem I would really like to know - the same thing is happening to me. I suspect the bbowl[1].jnlp file is downloaded by FUMBBL and not part of the bbowl8_3 or 8_5.zip's

either way I can't find this file anywhere - help please??
LofNazareth

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 04:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, ok. I'm an utter noob. However I am prepared to swallow my pride and let everyone know that I resolved the problem - and how I resolved it.

Basically it was as I thought, the file is not included in the java bbowl client packages, it is a file that FUMBBL downloads to you. Thankfully a chap by the name of zingr did a file search for me on his PC to confirm my suspicions (yay zingr! yay chat!). After this it was simply a matter of working out what was stopping the file reaching my pc from FUMBBL.

....turns out it was *ahem* a crappy Norton Firewall I didn't know about (not actually my PC but a friend's). Or at least I think that's what it was - I just disabled all the different security things I could find. I suspect though, that the old firewall is the problem here.

yes, we are all noobs.

cheers,

LofNazareth
 Jump to: