70 coaches online • Server time: 18:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Drud

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2006 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

BOB, 2D block: 11% (1/9) chance to knock himself down - 55% (5/9) chance of knocking opponent down.
Norse with block, 1D block: 17% (1/6) chance to knock himself down - 50% (3/6) chance of knocking opponent down.

I dont get why good orc coaches are very careful with BOB's, yet rookie norse can try one-die blocks (ok, granted you said [i]can try[/], but the odds are in favor of the BOB) Smile
Mezir

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2006 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

It's because Norse usually don't have a hard time getting 2d blocks. Wink

So consider the fact that when playing with Orcs and blocking with yuor BOBs, you're almost making 1d blocks with Block - and people generally avoid rolling 1d blocks. So people are careful about blocking lots with BOBs at first.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2006 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

No race needs to foul to win, not even khemri, halflings or goblins.
But it can make the task easier for them.
For cheap lineman with just general skill access it's nearly a no-brainer to breed some dirty players.
Concerning Vampires I like to have not more than 1 or 2 dp, while the other thralls should develop as supporting blockers or ball carriers. Them are prone to other ways of self-number-reduction, anyway. Wink

Btw: I prefer matches where no fouls are performed.

Kedlav

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2006 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

No race needs to foul, just like no team needs a goalie in hockey. Sure does help some teams though, and gee, look, both are allowed under the rules. Hell, sometimes it even helps strategically to foul.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2006 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't seen a team that plays with five goalies at once, though. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2006 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

fouling is never "essential" (neither is blocking for that matter), it's just that it helps some teams more than others. Undead and Necros can also make good use of fouling (due to cheap zombies/skeletons) - pretty sure this has already been mentioned - probably zons/norse too - both have low AV, fairly cheap.

(the problem with necros is that unless you protect your wolves, they will certainly be the target of any retailatory fouls Razz)

Kedlav

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2006 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Haven't seen a team that plays with five goalies at once, though.

Yea, but the neutral zone trap on these small american rinks works pretty well to compensate for that. For that matter, so did Giguere's pads before they became regulated.
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2006 - 05:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Though according to the fluff, Kedlav, fouling isn't actually allowed in Blood Bowl...otherwise it wouldn't be called fouling.

It's just that fouling is a possibility allowed by the LRB. Smile
Scamp

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you guys are missing the point...at least some of you are.

No team NEEDS to foul, but some benefit from it more than others. That being said, the most powerful thing about fouling is not actually fouling but it is the THREAT of fouling. For example, you can take your AG 5 wardancer with strip ball over my line and attack the ball carrier, which would inconvenience me a lot. But would you be so cavalier about it if you knew that Wardancer would end up near three guys plus a dirty player?

It's like tactics where you place your guys near the sideline, restricting your opponents movement (and probably your own too, but assume it's more important to restrict your opponent) because of the threat of being pushed out of bounds. You need to use these threats to your advantage.

That's why I don't like it when people get upset when I foul, or refuse to play against me just because I have a dirty player on my team. I don't get upset, it's their right to complain or not play me, but I'm trying to use all the tactics at my disposal to my advantage. If we play a non-fouling game you're basically handicapping my team and/or you're playing a game that isn't as deep.
 Jump to: