43 coaches online • Server time: 12:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2006 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Taffsadar:
Thank you for digging up the specific evidence on this one. I thought I had to pull up the standard counter to the "there is no such thing as half an eye"-argument typically brought forward by Jehova`s witnesses, when they show up on your door-step (usually 8am Saturday - practically in the middle of the night) and try to drag you into an argument over the bible.

No problem, I learned english by playing Warhammer and arguing with creationists Cool. Pages like DrDino or trueorigins never changes their arguments which means that the creationists your arguing with changes but theres still the same core of arguements to beat down.

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2006 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd just like to thank everyone for some very interesting reading material and links!

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2006 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
For the casual reading I can really recommend "The Science of Discworld" by Terry Pratchet, Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen - despite the title a nice uncommon approach to alot of scientific questions at every time perfectly understandable even for non-scientific folks.

I'll look into that Pratchett book, as I'm a new fan of his works. As for my own reading trajectory:

Dawkins (1989) The Selfish Gene
Dennett (1991) Consciousness Explained
Dawkins (1999) The Extended Phenotype
Dennett (1995) Darwin's Dangerous Idea

I'm halfway through the last two books, as they seem to be written for biologists and I'm not one. It's been quite tough to get through the more methodical sections but also rewarding when I do gain new understanding.

I'm sorry Brad, I didn't come around to reply to your request (electing to play BB instead Wink ). I'll try to post something tomorrow.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Mar 07, 2006 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:

I'll look into that Pratchett book, as I'm a new fan of his works.....

Be warned.. it`s NOT a novel. And it goes in a fast but interesting and sometimes even philosophical manner over alot of basic topics.
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2006 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Where did Brad go?

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2006 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I should have mentioned before that I must oppose the initial thesis. A synthesis of Creationism and Evolution would <i>obviously</i> have to be called <i>Evolationism</i>. Anything else is heresy. Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2006 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
I should have mentioned before that I must oppose the initial thesis. A synthesis of Creationism and Evolution would <i>obviously</i> have to be called <i>Evolationism</i>. Anything else is heresy. Razz

Odd, I always thought it was called 'The Playtest Vault.'

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2006 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't spot this link while reading through this thread, so if it's already been posted I apologise: http://www.talkorigins.org/

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2006 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:
pac wrote:

Odd, I always thought it was called 'The Playtest Vault.'

Good one. Laughing

If we're not careful here, we might divert this topic to being about Blood Bowl. Shocked

Jump to: