41 coaches online • Server time: 00:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Patrician

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Hiya,

I wanted to start some discussion about Offensive tactics, and I'm not talking about taunting your Necro opponent after you've gang fouled his Werewolf to death Rolling Eyes

I'm finding that a lot of my scoring is becuase of bad-luck, mistakes or lack of players on the part of my opponent, rather than due to decent setup and set-plays on my part. If I hit a decent defensive line or coach, my offense tends to loose momentum, and I often try something silly which ends up in a turnover.

I was wondering if some of the more experienced coaches would be willing to part some of their secrets, in terms of how you break through defensive setups and work your way to scoring. I know different teams will use different methods, but if we can talk generally (or at least about Bashy team tactics vs AG team tactics) that'd be great.

Thanks,

Patrician
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:26 Reply with quote Back to top

ok...

how bout taunting your skaven opponent after you gangfoul his rogre to death? Smile

--j

ImageImage
Patrician

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that qualifies, but only if his Apoth failed Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Bashy Teams vs AG Teams:
1) If you are the bashy team, you pretty much need to try for the 2-1 win. That means stall for 8 turns while protecting the ball on your drive, and force your opponent to score quickly on their drive. Lots of guard is your best friend here.

2) If you are the AG team, then position your players to limit your opponents progress down the field. Make sure you keep guys in front of the opposition, so that they can at best move one square forward at a time. Wait for your opportunity, and strike. Kick is your best friend, and Leap is quite useful.
Patrician

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Tautology, but '2)' is really about defense as an AG team. I wanna know how to get into position to score when receiving.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

spread out your guys into two groups, one up top and one at bottom. Since you're an ag team (this is specificaly for elves) they'll need to commit the majority to where the ball is. If the ball-carring group is in trouble, get the ball to the opposite group by whatever means possible. Beyond that, just dodge away and move into positions for 2d blocks and try to make a path.

Don't drop the soap.
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

If your opponent has a solid initial set-up, bear in mind that you're not obliged to try to crash (or dodge) through it on the first turn of your offence. Take some blocks, see how they go, sit back, and wait. Perhaps your opponent will prove to be good at setting up an initial, static defence, but less good at adapting his defensive line in open play when his opponent does not overcommit ... Or perhaps he won't ...

Also, flank-switching can work wonders. Again, you don't have to overcommit, just move most of your team somewhat over to one side of the pitch, and see how much of his follows. Often this can open up a huge space on the other side of the pitch, which any team with reasonable movement and ball-handling can then seek to exploit.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 03:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Pac is right..... Patience is the difference between a good offense.... and Shadow's offense.

__Synn
tautology

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The key thing is "breaking through" with a few players (elves or gutters). This is a higher proirity than relatively meaningless blocks on the line of scrimmage, though you should make those first if you can. If you can get 3 or more players through his lines and into scoring postion, he will struggle to cover them all (keep them spread out!) AG teams should (IMO) play with a thrower, who can keep the ball deep in your end, out of danger while you break someone free. Better defenders will pressure you quickly, so that you have to throw the ball on turn two. Hopefully you have managed to get someone clear for the score. If not, then throw to a cage somewhere that looks safe. Make screens around the cage to give yourself room to manuever if possible.
If you can't break through, then pac's advice above is solid. Bide your time until the moment is right.
Most importantly, don't roll ones Wink
Topper

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

And even with elves it´s often a good idea to stall.
When the Orcs(etc) doesn´t go after the carrier because gthey just want to do as much damage as possible, well keep the carrier out of harms way and in a easy scoring position.
That way you can sometime get a few extra turns in your drive, which means less in his.
Btw, I allways try to make some kind of pretective pocket/cage that being Orcs, DE, Skaven or WE.
In offence target his most deadly opponent (fx tackle, MB etc) vs AG teams.
ut in reality it is your defence that will win you the games Smile
Topper

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 04:19 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW there has just been opened a new division the A(cademy) it´s for players who want tactical advise in game by veterans here on FUMBBL.
Since the matches have no influence on CR those who are there, will be helpful to you Smile
nin

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 04:40 Reply with quote Back to top

On the matter of breacking througth hard lines of basher deffence, AR8 Sidestep (with Jump Up if possible) and a good Thrower is desperate solution I'll consider, let the opositon block you to their half (allwais at the hard end those elves, leaping in the middle of cages and the like...)
Patrician

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 04:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys, this is good stuff. Keep it coming.

As I have a range of teams, it'll be interesting to try and change play styles as I swap back and forth. Of course, the Bashy teams are pretty straight forward. Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

My first advise: safe the ball!
Sounds obviously, but I saw many coaches running sensless deep into the opponents field without keeping the ball carrier guarded in some way. A half has 8 turns, so calculate your time to score well. If it's risky to score now, think about your options of your next turn to score. A lot of teams try to score as fast as possible (elves, sakven for example). But even with these races you don't need to score in 2 turns; there is no rule to do that.
On the other hand, when you are bashed down to a little few players, try to score fast and hope some players will come back from KO-box. But also, try to make it as "safe" as possible. Less risky blocks, especially with stupid Big Guys, no unimportend blocks without the Block-Skill, and no unimportent 1d-blocks at all - you will need that RR for your TD move (dodge, GFI, etc.).
A general advise of scoring depends on the teams on the pitch. Against agility teams, try to hold your players together, the opponent will dogde to the importent squares. If you're playing vs bashy teams, spread with your agility players.
Change your playing style from time to time and align it to the opportunities the opponent is giving you to move forward. Normally I take a look on the defence and decide to make a fast strike - ready to score next turn or move over one flank with the ball carrier behind a little wall of players or keep the ball far away from any opponent and wait what happens to find the hole to break threw.

If you wanna do a quick TD, there are 2 tactics available.
1. give the ball to a player close to the LoS and blitz a hole in the defence line (usually at a flank). Send as much players as possible deep into the opponents half, building a broad cage. That means not the typical "star" cage, but defend the field arond your ball carrier. make sure that no enemy will reach your scorer without making risky dodges. You'll need a lot of players to build that up. That can mean that you won't make all the blocks at LoS. Sometimes I have all but one players in the opponents half after my first turn! Usually you are just able to do that if your opponent did a crappy defence set up or is outnumbered so far. But remind, do not take a risky move as long as your ball carrier is not protected in some way, that includes all dice 2+ rolls without a free RR (dogde, sure feet, ...).
2. Go deep with some players and spred them as much as possible. Keep you thrower in the backyard and at least one player free around the LoS. Next turn blitz one of your deep sended players free. Hand-off to the guy at LoS and pass to the scorer or visa versa.

Most races are less agile, so they should not go for a very quick TD, only if they feel the pressure of time. To score with these races, avoid that the defence can break threw your ball carrier as well - for sure. So keep him a little in the backyard the first turn or prtect him by 2 players if you are a little closer to LoS. The other players try to to some bashing job and put some pressure on the defence line. As long as the ref doesn't has an eye on you, there is nothing to said against a nice foul to show the defence that you wanna break it down. Now just move forward depending on the development of the drive. Sometimes the opponent messes something up - there is your chance, of course. If not...patiance. Always keep your ball carrier safe as long as possible. If there is no chance to break threw, then go back some squares and reformate your offence line. Be flexible enough to change your plan. When you gat bashed down by unlucky dice, well, maybe it's better to spread some players. Defend the ball and try to pass and/or hand-over the ball to a free spreaded player.

Tactic can change when you have the ball and lead the game by TD's. So, you do not have to score anymore. For sure, you wanna score and skill your players, no discussion about that. But if you are outnumbered as hell or pressure does increase to much, think about alternatives to safe the ball. A very interesting option for exapmle vs non-agility teams, is to throw the ball just deep into the defence half, when you're trapped in your own half of the field. Normally all defenders hunt your last players and the ball. So, their own field is depopulated. Throw the ball in an empty square far away from any player, but make sure that this pass is not too risky - that means that you won't fumbble the pass by throwing a bomb with an AG3 thrower. I did it a couple of times. So funny when the opposite coach look at this maneuver and realizes that he has to play the agility style to get his TD Wink

Damn, I've written more that I wanted to... . One thing: create your own style and tactics. There is no "This is the best tactic ever". There cannot be exist one, 'cause the dice rule the game. But you can minimize the risk of moves. I guess this is what makes you a "good coach".

Last edited by Markusen on %b %27, %2006 - %05:%Mar; edited 5 times in total
Patrician

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Markusen wrote:
Damn, I've written more that I wanted to...

Nah, this is really interesting stuff, thanks Markusen Cool
 Jump to: