94 coaches online • Server time: 21:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which skill/mutation offers the best protection for a player?
Dodge
32%
 32%  [ 22 ]
Foul Appearance
55%
 55%  [ 38 ]
Spikes
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 68

AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

My blodge/ss/dt/prehensile tail gutter (when he was alive) would argue the need to have 3 of them...he alone caused a lot of opponent swearing...

As a (self-proclaimed) skaven expert, I tell ya right now to never expect a linerat to survive. Period. So doubles for them shouldn't go towards keep-alive skills, but game-winning skills. Guard springs to mind for linerats...I once had 5 guard linerats at same time, and with the mobility of my gutters I was a match for a lot of basher types. For a few games at least...

Storm vermin can benefit equally well from dodge or FA, but generally doubles are used for more offensive skills, like horns, tentacles (believe it or not, useful against elves), and the ever popular claws. Although some of my more memorable SV's with +MA had VLL, making them as fast as gutters and surprising multiple opponents...stand firm is also worth consideration.

Rat ogre? They live, they roar, they die. End of story. Next...

Gutters, now these are the guys you need to consider protecting. After you have at least one dauntless/horns gutter for ball-winning, and a lot of skaven coaches take the VLL/sprint OTS combo, the next most popular combo is FA/VLL/passblock. Foul Appearance has saved a number of my gutters from shots from claw/rsc/tackle monsters, so I'd recommend it to all gutters to take, albeit some as a third or fourth mutation, which most don't get, but that rare one who does is more than worth keeping alive by any means. I'd also consider taking spikes on that occasional super-star gutter, as av8 will absorb a lot of hits av7 won't.

Can't speak for chaos...although av10 CW's are a royal pain to remove from pitch, let alone hurt...

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Markusen wrote:
Forget Spikes, it just protect this special player for maybe a couple of games, but does not help the team itself.

Considering Skaven ...
there the "team" is the important players. The rest are linemen and replaceable. With the post of Panda_ Spikes is the better option for Storm Vermin (unless you plan to use them against passing plays), and FA better for Throwers and Gutter Runners (esp. since Gutters should only be in blitzing not blocking range and with shadowing FA really comes handy to mark receivers)
Considering Chaos: I would pick spikes for a Chaos Warrior any day if i aimed for protection.
Voorn

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2006 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Sidestep really does come in handy as well. It can keep you from getting crowdpushed, keep you with a tackle zone on a ball carrier when your opponant tries to push you away and even possibly allow you to score in your opponant's turn. Overall though, I would still take dodge before it on most of my players.

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 00:50
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As a chaos player with some experience my take on this issue:

They are three different skills that i would pick for different reasons.

personally I have always felt one of the few edges chaos teams can get (if they dont want to go the usual claw/rsc KILL KILL KILL path) is to avoid dodge on any player. Renders all opponents tacklers a bit crap and often gives you an edge in effective use of tr. All of your skills have an actual use, some of opponents dont. If you want to go around dodging, use a reroll, get SF, use a +ag player, use a BT st4 player OR.... play bloody elves.

FA is great (until vault kills chaos) reasonable protection and messes with the passing game during that '1in50 games' game where a 'runaway' team (ag based team) will play your str based team (basher)

Spikes isnt as terrible as most people think it is. It has a lot of use against the casual fouler (will help against a standard foul a little bit, will help against a 7 assists killfoul not at all) That said it is always REALLY hard to justify picking spikes when so many other good toys are available on a double. Also picking spikes tends to say to the opponent 'i have WAAAY too much emotional attachment to this particular guy, if you hurt him i will probably both lose, and cry.'

So my usual pick (given the question as asked) would be FA. But the real answer is: 'it depends entirely on the skills present in the rest of the team, how you play, and how you use your team and that player in particular.'
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

imo...rats can benefit quite nicely from spikes...but the higher your natural AV goes, the less benefit you get from it....take it very sparingly....FA is probably the best of the 3, defense wise, seeing as how dodge can be negated by another skill, and FA has the capability of denying your opponents action, as well as having utility use for your opponent picking up the ball, passing, catching, etc....nice skill..love it Smile

--j

ImageImage
Voorn

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 07:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, they all have pros and cons. I would say definately try to go for a mixture of the different skills/mutations. That way, you will have something for every occasion. Getting all of the same thing is not always good.

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
stormmaster1

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

For a single player FA and sidestep can protect the player by changing the opponents plans. They may decide to block another player on your team as their is more of a risk of a failed block with FA, and sidestep could result in the player being pushed into a position you don't want. As such these players don't protect the team so much as make the opponent think twice before choosing who to block.
StarBreeze

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2006 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

FA is really good. Its harder for the oppo to block you and ballhandle gets modified too. Jesus I need a coffee.
FischerKing

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2006 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Sidestep is good when massed, because your opponent has to think alot before he dares to block you close to hes ballcarrier.
 Jump to: