18 coaches online • Server time: 04:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What skill choice ?
+MA
40%
 40%  [ 48 ]
Block
32%
 32%  [ 39 ]
Dodge
6%
 6%  [ 8 ]
Jump Up
9%
 9%  [ 11 ]
Something else (comment in post)
11%
 11%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 120

Albrecht

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2006 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Jump Up is the best option 'cos your player always can block or run with the ball dodging everywhere XD. The Ma+ is not neccesary with Jump up. Think in guard too Wink
paid

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2006 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Certainly a speed increase would be nice on a DE team which is hampered by not having any extremely fast elves. But with a high AG and dodge down the road as an option, he should be able to slip in and out of any situation. Jump Up would also improve mobility.

But the DEs are a fighty team and the ability to deal out damage like an Orc team is crucial. I would take either Guard or Mighty Blow. A player with a high ST is going to get into the mix and do a lot of hitting. But His high AG means he can edge into some tight spaces and give one of your other players a chance to get a +1 block.

It all depends on what type of teams you will be facing.

A ST4 player with Leap could hop into a cage and do some damage--maybe get him frenzy.

But that high AG makes him a fantastic pass coverage player in which case Jump Up or Nerves of Steel would be the best thing to do. Next get him Pass Block since he has a 2/3 chance of nabbing an INT! (Then get him Catch and have an 89% chance to get a pick)
FischerKing

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2006 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont take mv, take block or dodge, your player really needs it ! Dodge to make him a ball getter, and block to make him a cagebreaker with block tackle.
Longshanks

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2006 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm still uncertain (maybe I should add that I'm indecisive in that confessions thread Smile ).

I really like the idea of pass block and if he was ST3 I'd probably take it but with ST4 it seems like a waste when I'd more often be using him as a blitzer. As for +MV - having the trifecta of stat upgrades is obviously cool but expecting him to survive to 76spp to give him dodge and 125 for block just seems like too much to expect without any survivability skills.

After much indecision I've decided on dodge. He will dodge a lot so the reroll will be handy and hopefully dodge will keep him upright a bit more with fewer ST4 players having tackle and ST3 tacklers needing two assists.

Reading the thread I think it's clear enough the decision isn't straight forward. I appreciate the advice from all who took the time to post.
Gueulemer

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2006 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Get the MA. He's going to be your all-purpose freak DE linemen. Protect him. Next time, give him dodge and pass block... He, he, he... AG 6 are pure nightmare....
Nature_Warden

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2006 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I would probably take NoS and then Pass Block, Leap but I'm a bit nutty when it comes to high Ag Pass Blockers... maybe it's just me? Smile
FischerKing

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2006 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge, a wise choice. In dreams you could take the mv and get him to 126 without ageing or dying, but on fumbbl, I think you need something to make him usefull right away Smile
Laviak

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2006 - 05:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think you'll be regretting it Longshanks .. there will be times when you'll roll pow/skull (or the other person does), and there will be times where he'll be stuck facing off against a tackler, but dodge will save you re-rolls often enough to be worthwhile, and will save him from being demolished quite so easily by teams that choose guard/mb over tackle Wink.

I do find it interesting, however, that dodge was the least popular choice in the poll. Can someone explain to me why block is so much better than dodge for a ST4/AG6 elf?

Brad

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2006 - 07:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak wrote:
I do find it interesting, however, that dodge was the least popular choice in the poll. Can someone explain to me why block is so much better than dodge for a ST4/AG6 elf?

I voted for Dodge in the end, but I can see why Block would be more popular - helps on defence, preventing 1/6 turnover dice results, but also on Offence, prevents the all important turnover and still leaves your safety standing next to the ball carrier.

How often are you going to need more than 2 dodges to get where you are going with an ag 6, needing both a RR and a Dodge RR

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2006 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

uhmmm... I´d take +Mv and pray for him to srvive for the next skill upgrade. Maybe another +ST??
Laviak

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2006 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Brad wrote:
How often are you going to need more than 2 dodges to get where you are going with an ag 6, needing both a RR and a Dodge RR

The thing is that the times that you need him most are the ones where he needs to dodge into TZs, pick up a ball, and dodge out again. Chances are the RR will be better used on picking up the ball, or getting it to someone else. Not to mention that it often takes risky moves to get the ball in such a position to begin with. Chances are by the time you actually do it, the RR will be gone on something other than dodging.

Panda_

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2006 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Sack him

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2006 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak: Sure if the player ONLY had 6ag dodge would be an ok choice, but with the +st you really want block on him.
It depends on how you play and what races you play against (a lot of pure eflballers here talking about NOS/passblock)
but I'm quite sure I'd make a lot more blocks and blitzes with that player than I would make multipe dodges snatching the ball.
And as always I like to see dodge on EVERY player or none on a team, as tackle becomes common on decent (see +250) tr.

If you play vs anything other than elves I still think block is what you would want (or rather would regret not picking).
Otherwise you can get dodge (save rr), guard (always get 2d where you want it) or +MA (to become supergood next skill)

Jump up shouldn't be a serious option as he doesn't have block, dodge or sidestep!

Jump to: