42 coaches online • Server time: 12:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Uncle_Servo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2006 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

...because with all the people on here I can't imagine I'm the only one.

I'm running AOL 9.0 Security Edition SE on Windows XP Home, and am running the latest version of the Java program with update. During the course of play (and this has happened in practically every game so far), I will click on a player and get partway through my move. Then the system partially locks up to where I cannot do any of the following:
- end the player's move.
- deselect the player.
- select another player.
- highlight (show info) on any other player, my team or opponent's.
- end my turn.

However, I can still chat with my opponent... so apparently the client doesn't freeze up completely.

Sometimes this problem also causes AOL to go haywire, in which event I must completely reboot the computer.

Has anyone else run across this or a similar problem?

Thanks!
Servo
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2006 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate to say it, by my professional opinion is that virtually all ISP labelled security programs cause WAY more problems then they solve. I would recommend trying to (in order of MY preference):

1) Trash the program

2) Not use proxy to minimize information asked for from your computer.

3) Contact AOL about creating some type of exception for the fumbbl proxy servers.

I totally understand if you want to use a different order, but...... there it is.

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2006 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

i would get another Provider
AOL just s****

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2006 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Telcontar wrote:
i would get another Provider
AOL just s****

Heh. I was wondering when I'd get that particular response. Wink

Not that I'm going to argue with that statement, but switching providers isn't an option at the moment for several reasons.
shagga

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm on AOL and have no problems whatsoever, plus the fact that the service is completely unlimited is nice. Only difference between myself and you probably is I use a router so I do not need to use the AOL software to connect. AOL are cool for the record its that damn software thats the usual problem.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Gotta jump in on that. Professional opinion isn't just an expression, Internet tech support is my job. AOL is AMAZING for people who want to read the news and check their email, even for surfing it's nice, but it is otherwise horrid. totally, completely horrid. It also (as it has for years), tries its hardest to convince users unfamiliar with the internet that they provide everything. Users we get from AOL don't understand that the homeapge you start on does not determine what you can do on the internet, or, often, what a browser is (due to the paint over of the IE icon). The whole company actually works to promote ignorance in its customers. That's not saying that you can't use the service for many things, but complaining about AOL is the most legitimate form of 21st century whining that exists. Wink

Post 18 Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
That's not saying that you can't use the service for many things, but complaining about AOL is the most legitimate form of 21st century whining that exists. Wink

Wow, my personal quote of the month! Mr. Green
Meech

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Mac, I did MSN tech support for 4 years. One of the meetings the question was asked "How do we get more like AOL", meaning get more people to use the service. The quick response was however "Give our customers lobotmies"

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

reinstall the client if that fails then host games direct. If you still have the same problem post back here.
 Jump to: