27 coaches online • Server time: 01:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Greatest British Rock Band
Queen
36%
 36%  [ 35 ]
Zepplin
21%
 21%  [ 20 ]
The Who
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Pink Floyd
22%
 22%  [ 21 ]
All Brisitsh music sucks , bive me some ABBA
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Music is the food of the soul and I am deaf, full
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 95

FischerKing

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Farinroderel wrote:
Rammstein! Wink

as a favorite british rockband Very Happy
FischerKing

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:
bah how can so much ppl like Queen??

Because so many teenagers are reading this thread ?
Siokawta

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The Beatles. without them youve none of the others.
hoiyes

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 03:46 Reply with quote Back to top

If you consider the original question, it's asking the 'Greatest' not the one with the most technical music, or the best songs but the greatest, and in sheer magnitude it has to be Queen, The Beatles would give them a good run if they were listed though I imagine.

Queen has spent more time on the UK charts than any other band (1,322 weeks) even The Beatles (1,293), they were the first rock band to play a South American tour, they weren't afraid to diversify into all areas of music (funk, disco, hard rock, glam, pop), they are widely lauded as one of the greatest live bands ever including their famous Live Aid act, where they had the whole crowd clapping above their heads, also credited with the first use of big screens at concerts and you only need to see the list of bands that credit Queen as an influence to see how diverse a range of music they have affected.

If Freddie hadn't died this would be a ridiculous no brainer, but The Rolling Stones longevity has earned them a spot up with Queen and The Beatles, especially after their gig on the beach at Copacabana. 1.5 million. :O

Cream and The Kinks deserve to be on that list too. Oasis are overrated and the Gallaghers are assholes.

That said, Money by Pink Floyd is IMHO the best rock composition ever.
FischerKing

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

And so is time, wish you were here, Crazy diamond and so forth Razz
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

hoiyes wrote:
If you consider the original question, it's asking the 'Greatest' not the one with the most technical music, or the best songs but the greatest, and in sheer magnitude it has to be Queen, The Beatles would give them a good run if they were listed though I imagine.

Queen has spent more time on the UK charts than any other band (1,322 weeks) even The Beatles (1,293), they were the first rock band to play a South American tour, they weren't afraid to diversify into all areas of music (funk, disco, hard rock, glam, pop), they are widely lauded as one of the greatest live bands ever including their famous Live Aid act, where they had the whole crowd clapping above their heads, also credited with the first use of big screens at concerts and you only need to see the list of bands that credit Queen as an influence to see how diverse a range of music they have affected.

If Freddie hadn't died this would be a ridiculous no brainer, but The Rolling Stones longevity has earned them a spot up with Queen and The Beatles, especially after their gig on the beach at Copacabana. 1.5 million. :O

Cream and The Kinks deserve to be on that list too. Oasis are overrated and the Gallaghers are assholes.

That said, Money by Pink Floyd is IMHO the best rock composition ever.

How can you be the greatest without some of the greatest songs?

Being top to the charts may make you the 'Greatest Pop' act but not anything else.

I suppose you could give Freddie 'Greatest Live Performer' or does that need yet another thread.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Quenn have some of the greatest songs, the legend that is Bohemian Rhapsody, the anthem that is We Will Rock You to name a couple.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I am not sure if I can judge the greatest, just who I prefer. I pvoted for queen, I prefer my rappers not burned at the stake(one of my favorite covers ever is The Gourds folk cover of Snoop's "Gin and Juice". Check it out)

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Zeppelin from those, but as has been said, where are Maiden? some also might argue for the inclusion of Oasis etc.. altho im sceptical myself. Personally I think early british Rock and Roll was classic stuff, but my tastes lean a bit more towards Tool/Rush that kinda thing Smile

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
WERTHOR

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2006 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, by my point of view there's no match; Pink Floyd are my choice for this poll, I'm addicted to their psichedelic rock since a long time. But to tell the truth I must add that "Led zeppelin III" is probably the best "rock" album ever! Bonzo Bonham forever!

Talking about the "still living" British rock bands the Radioheads are at the top of my personal chart; i've heard them live two times and they are absolutely great!
hoiyes

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2006 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
How can you be the greatest without some of the greatest songs?

Did I say Queen didn't? No, everyone was fracturing into discussing technical aspects of songs, and the individual songs themselves, which are all part of greatness, but they aren't the sole yardstick.

I would kill to see Under Pressure performed live (by the rightful performers, none of this The Used crap)
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The Beatles, anyone?

Why on earth it's not even listed as an option?

Sysiphos

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Iron Maiden!
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2006 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

The Beatles, anyone?
since when where the beatle a rock band? might as well say that Oasis and Stone roses where rock.

Beatles where so Pop it hurts.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
Fama

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2006 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't really head The Beatles, so I have no idea why everyone is so "omg <3<3<3" about them (pardon the nerdiness). Iron Maiden... Well, I dunno, it "could" go under rock, but maybe it's hard rock like Black Sabbath (which I definitely won't say is metal). Then again, System of a Down is officially a rock band (I think) and some of their songs are a LOT heavier (well, most songs Wink ) than Maiden's or Sabbath's.

Anyway, tough decision on the poll, Queen is great, and I've heard some queen, only heard IV from Zeppelin I think (it's great tho), the Wall from Pink Floyd (haven't listened to it very much), and nothing from the Who. I'd say Queen then, although AFAIK Zeppelin has had a BIG influence.

Oh, and btw, I like Rainbow Wink

Edit: Oh, and I wouldn't call the Beatles "rock".

Jump to: