50 coaches online • Server time: 18:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Barre

Post 4 Posted: Nov 27, 2003 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I've recently noticed what I believe to be a problem with the strength system and would like some clarification.

Scenario:
My High Elf team contains the 2 players in question. Team - http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=37626

Player 1 - http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=480635
A Dragon warrior with stats 7348 BL
Player 2 - http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=433590
A Lineman with stats 7348 BL +MA

Now basically playing against these players it makes no difference what so ever how many skills they have, all that matters is that they have the same attributes and the block skill.

Yet, the STR system gives player 1 a str value of 115k and player 2 a str value of 130k.

My assumption here is that the str system is meant to reflect current ability, not potential. If this is the case then these 2 players have the same current ability and therefore should be of the same value.

Refering to the 'Strength Formula Explained' page, the paragraph mentions the following.

Quote:
Spikes, +MA, +ST and +AG have already been taken into account in the above tables, but still give the "default" 2+Cumulative addition to the player value.

I don't understand the purpose for double dipping, the benefit is already applied to the attributes table.

I apologise if this has been pointed out previously but could someone explain to me the purpose for this. Or are we agreed that this is indeed a bug?

Barre
jazzer

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2003 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

magic pixies did it
HoboJed

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2003 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing is that High Elves are ment to have only two MA 7 guys (and two MA 8 guys of course), so the third is far more important than the first two (as most High Elf teams don't have access to that many Ma 7 players). That is the point of the "double dipping" you are reffering to.
UrienRakarth

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2003 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

i think that the str system should be modified according to new rules: WA is the worst negatrait for example. Pro now count as a double... and so on.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

UrienRakarth wrote:
WA is the worst negatrait for example.

This is highly debatable.

A WA is in some ways like a troll you can't assist, however it aslo has advantages. Unlike that troll or ogre, you can block without rolling any dice, and even if you do roll for an action and blow it you still keep your tackle zones.

In the end, WA is not that weak, it just must be played differenty. I expect to see a lot of tentacles in the future on WA players.

The Finishing Touch
jtruhe

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Tentacles was already a great mino skill, now its awesome.
UrienRakarth

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

But a WA falled on ground will recover with more difficulty than a really stupid... and in any time a WA doesn't have an opponent near, u risk to lose a potential blocker (that howl to the moon...) and with a WA u never risk a blitz with...

A really stupid insted is more versatile and useful...
UrienRakarth

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

p.s.: tentacles is a double... not all WA will get it...
Barre

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 03:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a good solution for this WA arguement would be to have a reaction based on action type i.e.

Block - no roll
Blitz - 2+ roll (i.e. bone head - tackle zone implecation)
Move - 4+ roll (i.e. unassisted really stupid - tackle zone implecation)

This is a "realism" approach, i.e. a WILD ANIMAL is not likely to think when he is in the thick of it (block, no roll), when he is not in the thick of it he will most likely go looking for someone else to maim but may be distracted (blitz/foul, +1 roll) , and he is not likely to enjoy roaming around with all that mayhem to reek therefore the (move/pass/handoff, +4 roll).

But to be perfectly honest the main issue I see out of this is game balance.. try it and see. I think most coaches previously played WA players with the awareness that leaving them isolated will allow your opponent to 'trap' him. Now you have to shift that awareness to keeping the WA player close to the action and yet no overly vulnerable to a knock down, give him DODGE if you think it will help against !POW Smile.

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm still in shock that the new WA rule made it through playtesting...

Player 1: Gee your mino has spent the last six turns trying to stand up.

Player 2: Yeah isn't that cool!

Player 1: This is such a good rule! Lets implement it!

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
I'm still in shock that the new WA rule made it through playtesting...

They probably playtested it as much as they did the new Elf team ...
IvanTheCow

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 07:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Stop bitching and try playing a few games with the new rules. i am not trying to piss anyone off but im tired of people complaining about a NEW rule that people have only played with at most a few times. Give the thing a chance. if you want to bitch about something thats truly stupid, bitch about pro being changed.
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 08:08 Reply with quote Back to top

And its just DIFFERENT. Only thing i hate is the Ogre lost for stunties. Now goblins rely on HURTING. Noone likes to be thrown by a Troll. Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I am also deeply shocked about the new WA rules. I had a bad MOFU mino, which suffered a STR drop on its 6th skillroll. This guy was feared all over the pitch.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=346193

With the new rule and the STR drop it is not a wild cow anymore, it reminds me of a sheep on its way to the slaughterhouse... this sucks...
alterationX

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

well, i played a couple of games with WAs after the rule change (5 or so) and apart from NEVER coming back in your lifetime when they get stunned it seems to work out well. just as long as they don't get stunned. it forces you to either without thinking about its wellbeing throw it into a huge array of opponents or to disturb your entire strategy by assaulting the opponent thoughtlessly at the wrong time (blitzing) which imo really reflects the trait. what i don't like is the standing still. feels wrong, totally. they should get ball & chain with random movements when they fail their roll Wink
 Jump to: