54 coaches online • Server time: 19:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which Sounds like the best ProBowl setup?
Original Conference Vs Premier Idea this season
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Conference Tri Nations this season
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Scrap the Idea.. but name a Conference team for the Fluff
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
One of the two ideas.... but maybe next season
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Pie, Macavity etc (For non SWLers)
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 25

Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys, was bored at work and had an idea. The original plan was to name a conference probowl team, based on twahnlow votes, and hopefully organise a game with them for our top coach.. i.e beefy against a premier Probowl team, since they are well on top of their twahnlows (at this rate Symm the coach). Then I wondered if people might be more encouraged with a more conference internal probowl setup. I.e 3 probowl teams 1 from each conference playing in a bit of a tri nations setup. That way people get more players into their teams.. and might be more interested in the speccing. Plus the teams would be pretty well balanced considering each conference was racially balanced something not the case in premier. This season would see Shatter with one team, Beefy another, and either Erik/Goos/Oz, each probowl team plays the other once, so two games for each coach. Whats the level of interest? Ill run the poll for a week.

Proud Member of the SWL
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd quite like to see either of them go ahead, no idea which one is actually better though... I'd lean towards the tri nations idea, as long as the coaches involved are keen to do so - imho, the important thing is managing to get the games in within a couple of weeks of the end of the season.

Longshanks

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Question though. If you have a regional/conf/prem pro-bowl team won't the games be a bit mismatched (prem vs regionals at least) given the likely difference in player strenght (i.e. prem pro-bowlers likely to be stars, regionals not so much).

I voted for the three tream concept.
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

For starters regionals are out cos no ones doing twahnlow voting on them. 1st option is a combined conference team.. drawn form 24 teams against the 8 premier can muster. While the tri nations concept is perfectly balanced.. being just the 3 individual conferences being represented.

Proud Member of the SWL
Satans_mechanic

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

How about the tri nations for the right to lead a team of the coaches choosing versus the Premier Pro Bowl team?

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

well that would be taking it further... Baby steps maybe for now eh

Proud Member of the SWL
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

We admin crew have generally have the view that things should be put in gradually and with baby steps... We would love the Pro-Bowl concept to continue and was great when it ran 2-3 seasons ago, but I will be honest, its very hard work required to make it happen.

As a result, it is way down the list of priorities for the Crew given we have 8-9 week turnarounds, drafts, racial balances and grooming Bob_Borc.

However, I am more than happy to see someone step fwd and give it a run... but this will be the 4th (??) attempt at the Pro Bowl / Twahnlow thingy - neverborn, Twahn, chunky, satans_mech etc have all had efforts in this area and it has spluttered simply because of the load.

So my vote is a big thumbs up, but dont get overly ambitious...
Smegish

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I can help out putting teams together and stuff, and if the Pro Bowl teams are decided by the Twahnlow votes rather then seperate votes like it was last time, it should be less load for the organiser to deal with. Smile
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 26, 2006 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's an idea -- you could do a pro-bowl between the 3 runners up in the conferences -- and the winner of pro-bowl gets promoted ... now *that* would make the games worth playing/watching Smile

Probably not a good idea to rush into it though - should definitely start with it not counting for anything.

Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Smegish wrote:
I can help out putting teams together and stuff, and if the Pro Bowl teams are decided by the Twahnlow votes rather then seperate votes like it was last time, it should be less load for the organiser to deal with. Smile

Brilliant thanks... ok well will might look at it this season, will wait for games to be played and make sure everyone is on top of their voting... then throw out invitations to the coaches and see if its workable Smile

Proud Member of the SWL
ArtaXerxes

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 05:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak wrote:
Here's an idea -- you could do a pro-bowl between the 3 runners up in the conferences -- and the winner of pro-bowl gets promoted ... now *that* would make the games worth playing/watching Smile

This would get a big "thumbs up" from me, rather than the first place holders having to put their teams at risk. It also sounds like less organising with more reward for motivation than a Conference vs Premier "all stars" game.

So my (customised) vote would now be for a 3 way playoff between the 2nd place getters in Conference to determine promotion to Premier, and a purely fluff team listing from the top twahnlow votes in both Premier and Conference.
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to clear something up (it wasn't obvious to me originally)...

The pro-bowl concept does *not* involve the actual teams used in the SWL. The idea is that you take the "best" players (say, on twahnlow votes), and make an all-stars team out of them. You may end up with quite a range of players and races in each "pro" team.

That means that there is a bit of work for organiser(s), who need to prepare an icons file for the pro-bowl teams, along with the rosters (otherwise you are stuck with letters for all the players, which is kinda annoying if you're used to using the icons Razz)

Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: May 28, 2006 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak wrote:
Just to clear something up (it wasn't obvious to me originally)...

The pro-bowl concept does *not* involve the actual teams used in the SWL. The idea is that you take the "best" players (say, on twahnlow votes), and make an all-stars team out of them. You may end up with quite a range of players and races in each "pro" team.

That means that there is a bit of work for organiser(s), who need to prepare an icons file for the pro-bowl teams, along with the rosters (otherwise you are stuck with letters for all the players, which is kinda annoying if you're used to using the icons Razz)

Yes.. sorry I thought it was obvious... ProBowls and all.. sorry if I confused anyone

Proud Member of the SWL
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 02:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Had another epiphany of course. As long as the teams are finalised.. and made up. While not ideal, since this is mainly a fluff and glory exercise, with results not affecting anything, its not the end of the world if the games dont get played in the gap between seasons. Snorri will it be possible to have teams listed on snorriheim.. and the results files available to be looked at as well, for those who cant spec?

Proud Member of the SWL
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

And in so saying this is my Master plan. For this season atleast. Prepare for it to fall down at any stage along the way.

There will be a conference probowl. Between teams in each conference, with 11 players based on twahnlow voting for the season, and one wildcard coach selected player. Coached by the top coach in each conference (Invites have been sent), the invite will pass down the list if refused. it is a 2 game commitment from the 3 lucky coaches. And all game times should be posted and maximum spec slots opened. Will discuss scoring in IRC, probably a 3/1/0 setup with tds as the tie breaker.

Further to this for fluff purposes a Conference All stars team will be named. If the probowl goes swimmingly, I would like to extend a challenge to premier to firstly name an allstars team of your own. Then if all is moving well, there will be an allstars game between the two, Symmetrical to coach premier (invite not sent yet) and the winner of the tri series to take the reigns of the conference all stars.

Thats the plan folks... ambitious maybe...we will see what happens eh,

Proud Member of the SWL
 Jump to: