39 coaches online • Server time: 00:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Smess wrote:
At times like these I think fumbbl would be a better place without a forum, or maybe future threads about fouling, stalling and CR just should be blocked upon appearence. It's the same discussions and the same crap (and yes I include my own crap) over and over and over again.

As you must be aware, newbies do not tend to read back through the forums. Yes, they've happened before; yes, you've read them all before. But - believe it or not - many coaches haven't. Incredible as it sounds, some of those reading this thread will be discovering the mysteries and complexities of cherry-picking for the first time. So many things they'd heard before which didn't quite make sense begin to do so. In time, all these thoughts develop into their own semi-coherent view on cherry-picking: and thus a new thread begins.

This is why every generation has its own cherry-picking thread. Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
As I have said above, I would be quote happy with a division where teams are automatched.

I would also be very happy if I were allowed to 'opt-out' of CR rating and be fixed at 150.

It used to be possible, but for some reason it got taken away.

It's been taken away because you could play in unranked if you wanted matches without CR being a factor.

There even was a ranking reset, and a few people that tried getting people over there and play without ranking. (I did move all my teams to unranked right there).

That option still exists, and I still don't get why people that are annoyed by rankings don't make an effort of getting unranked more active.

[For the 1000th repeat]

-Mnemon
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:
As I have said above, I would be quote happy with a division where teams are automatched.

I would also be very happy if I were allowed to 'opt-out' of CR rating and be fixed at 150.

It's been taken away because you could play in unranked if you wanted matches without CR being a factor.

There even was a ranking reset, and a few people that tried getting people over there and play without ranking. (I did move all my teams to unranked right there).

That option still exists, and I still don't get why people that are annoyed by rankings don't make an effort of getting unranked more active.

[For the 1000th repeat]

-Mnemon

I don't care about CR, I don't care if it exists or not, I would happily it not exist.

But, most games take place in Ranked, and Ranked is the only fully LRB division, which is exactly why I play there.

I do not want to play teams building up to, or out of a tournament, nor Pixie teams, nor Chaos pact ... I wish to be able to get games, that are LRB compliant ... hence ranked, whether CR exists there or not.
heinz

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Smess wrote:
At times like these I think fumbbl would be a better place without a forum, or maybe future threads about fouling, stalling and CR just should be blocked upon appearence. It's the same discussions and the same crap (and yes I include my own crap) over and over and over again.
Hardly ever there is a thread actually worth reading.

Anyway, the thread will die, and nothing will have changed, just like the times before. Why bother?

Hey, Smess is alive! Best fumbbl news in weeks. Almost made it worth clicking this topic.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Yar - but if more people like that would play unranked you'd get exactly those lrb compliant games you wish for. Pact teams have been removed, the only thing that remains there are grandfathered pacts ... you can dodge those. You also can easily dodge any stunty teams if you don't want to play them.

The point is ... to change something (and apparently CR is seen as not positive frequently enough) ... the community has to take the initiative and that means personal individual responsibility to turn the thing around.

Been like that when unranked was created and didn't change one inch the year(s) since then.

-Mnemon
Flix

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

well i think the CR formular works very well and you will receive an good impression of the players strength

cherrypicking only works for short periods and not for long term
because you gain less cr points for a victroy but loose very much on a dice rape
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:

[For the 1000th repeat]

-Mnemon

I don't care about CR, I don't care if it exists or not, I would happily it not exist.

But, most games take place in Ranked, and Ranked is the only fully LRB division, which is exactly why I play there.

I do not want to play teams building up to, or out of a tournament, nor Pixie teams, nor Chaos pact ... I wish to be able to get games, that are LRB compliant ... hence ranked, whether CR exists there or not.

I hate those arguments really. Annoying at his best.

So U isn't fully LRB. As if anybody should care.

I
1) wonder who lfg with his snotling team
2) wonder who cares if this ork team has played a pact.
"ooohhh nnnoooo, you got a block skill against a chaos pact. thissss isss sooo unnnfair"
^^
You may only play LRB teams. How they got their skills isn't relevant.

This also
"Most games are ranked, so I play ranked, I don't want to wait and increase U activity, so the CR should be deleted so that I would feel better"

Move to U or stop accusing CR but don't be selfish.

to be honest I firmly believe that only a third of all the "I don't care about CR" are honest. I wish I had an auto "-10 CR pts" button to everyone telling that in the forum, just to see how much they really "don't care".

IMO just a few.

I believe that it's not a big story if your CR is 140, but if you somehow improve and go up to 160, it's rewarding. IMO Ranked success is partially due to CR. What implies the critics is the combination of
-coaches playing for fun, thus not getting mad about CR and not making it their final goal (<>not caring)
-coaches that lives for CR and making of it a too big story.

Post 16 Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 17:56
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I see you point Sk8 M8, but i don't think it's that binary.

I see my own statement of ' I don't care about CR' as truthful.

Yet I always know roughly what my CR is, and I confess i do sometimes use it as a motivational tool (IE 'blimey ive fallen to 155, must try and concentrate a bit more/play less simultaneous poker|BB games)

The key is in the word 'care'. It isnt important to me to have a high CR, but it does allow me to track, to the linited extent that it is valid in any way, my form and general play level. It is at best a rough guide, but without it, and hence in the lonely windswept desolation of U, all you are left with is uber team building if, like me, you cannot commit to tourney schedules.

Playing exclusively to raise a number of marginal significance is jolly odd indeed, but to play without it would be infinately more repetative and pointless and, were it to go, i feel people would drift off from BB and fumbbl a lot sooner.

It is, in general, a good thing allowing anyone, of any ability level, to set themselves goals and targets and monitor their progress. The cost of that is meta gamers who will seek to get a high CR for the joy of their own uberness and the sad little inward smile they get when they look at other peoples somewhat meaningless, innacurate, number. Let them, what harm do they do others?

when most people say 'I don't care about my CR' i always assume they mean 'I do care about my CR, but not to the extent that it is all consuming and the purpose of my gaming'. though some ARE just bare faced liars.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

oh

my

god

WOULD YOU PEOPLE JUST GIVE IT A REST?!

--j

ImageImage
Meech

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

From a previous page, and I think I will continue to copy and paste every 2 or 3 pages on this thread until it dies or gets locked.

What I don't get is why people are so concerned with CR. I play to have fun. You guys remember what fun is? What the hell does a number on someone coaches profile have to do with your fun? Are you jealous? Get a therapist, tell them that you are insecure and get over it.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
This also
"Most games are ranked, so I play ranked, I don't want to wait and increase U activity, so the CR should be deleted so that I would feel better"

Move to U or stop accusing CR but don't be selfish.

to be honest I firmly believe that only a third of all the "I don't care about CR" are honest. I wish I had an auto "-10 CR pts" button to everyone telling that in the forum, just to see how much they really "don't care".

I think you misunderstand. I play ranked because I can get games easier yes. It does not hurt anyone else where I choose to play. I am not demanding CR be removed, I am saying that i just do not care about it, and would happily be fixed at 150.

And yes, if there was a lose 10 CR button, please press it several times on my coach page, because when I had a run of poor games and CR dropped to 158 i found games alot easier than when I won a Smack and suddenly shot up to 170 again.
Lorion

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2006 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder how long this thread can continue, I wonder how many times I have to declare myself the biggest cherrypicker on fumbbl before i get noticed and I am sincerely doubting that a diet of rum and coke is healthy and that shadow is actually human.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

sorry lorion...you're not....

albator, ravno, and busko have the line locked *way* ahead of you on who's the biggest cherrypicker....Wink

and no...i'm not human....i think....on alternating sundays.....when the moon is green

--j

ImageImage
Lorion

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I try my best sometimes my norse just couldn't resist the prostect of crowdpushing dwarfs. If I really want atention, then maybe I should start the"Fouling - part of the game or really unfair because I don't know how to" or "Stalling valid tactic or dam anoying because I keep losing to those who do" threads up again, and then we would all really have something to talk about.