36 coaches online • Server time: 13:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jugular

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 02:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm often saddened by coaches inability to stay commited to completing tournaments. Ideas have previously been discussed as to how this could be monitored and commissioners could 'vet' their applicants to improve its chances of survival.
Many of the previous ideas invovled punishing those that failed to complete tournaments. I think it a bit unfair given the possiblilities of unsurpassable problems. Instead maybe on a coaches info an extra stat could be added "Tournaments completed" this would simply count the number of tournaments in which this coach had managed to play all required games. This could be inputted automatically when one of the preset tournament templates are completed by any coach. Faction could also be included.
Obviously this could be abused but if there was a limit of at least 4 teams in a tournament I personally think that would be satisfactorily convulted enough to reduce regular abuse.
What are peoples thoughts on this idea?
Ludakk

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello!
If you stay in the Brutal Blood Bowl League for as long as humanly possible after each and ever season I garantee you that you will receive the best lookin BBBLrelated badge, logo, pic, banner or whatever ele ppl would love to call it, so just play on and have fun win or loose. GL n HF!!!
-L
Jugular

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure any logo, pic or banner you made would be lovely ludakk but I'm sure you and many other league commishes (me included) wish they didn't have to go through such convoluted selection processes as urs to gaurantee decent stickability.
Faulcon

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

What if you started playing in a tournament that was a complete failure through no fault of your own? You didn't play all the games because the tournament died, not because you were unreliable yet you would still get a strike next to your name?
terdulehead

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Ludakk, do you have any opening for a u.s player in your league?
Jugular

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

no strikes AGAINST ur name Faulcon. That was the whole point of my suggestions you only a get a point if you complete a tournament not lose one if you dont. Join as many tournaments as you like but you only get commended for the ones you finish. terdulehead why dontcha try posting in the BBBL thread? I'm sure Ludakk would prefer that thread to be bumped. Smile
Cyco

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that sounds like a brilljant idea. I just joined a tournamen, to see what its like, on the net. I have arranged some tournament myself, "live" and thats very fun. But unfortunally the league I joined started off very bad. My first opponent didnt show up at all, for the hole week. My second arranged a date with me, and I where here wating, but he never showed up. And on top of that the PM's dont work anymore, at least not at the moment. So I cant get hold of the league commisioner or my opponent. Where can I find a serious league to join.

I started one myself, but we will not start playing until 12 jan. A swedish league with the them from a swedish RPG. (That is why its swedish) ;o)

But I have some ideas about some leagues that I want to start, but I shall have to get my first one going first. To see what its like. I hope it'll be fun and that I found serious players that stay until the end.

If anyone of you reading this, are about to start a serious league, please contact me. I want to join...

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

All the biggest and most succesful tournaments seem to be characterised by either a) a very, very short season (evo's stunty madness tourneys come to mind) or a member base that is all pulled from one time zone (such as the SWL). I think the biggest problem with tournaments and coaches failing their commitments comes from an inability to find mutually agreeable times to play games - where I've had problems that's almost invariably been the case.
peikko

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2003 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

vigil wrote:
I think the biggest problem with tournaments and coaches failing their commitments comes from an inability to find mutually agreeable times to play games - where I've had problems that's almost invariably been the case.

Running now 5th goblin challenge, wild pact challenge, peasant bowl and peasant cup. Also been playing in too-many-to-even-remember cups and tournaments I have found out couple things:

1) Open Round Robin wont work on 99% cases cause its just way too hard for players to check whos on your group and then figure out if they are online. Open Round Robin needs faction like view where you can see if your possible opponents are online.

2) Tourney admins cant just wait and watch how games keep beein unplayed. As admin of that cup/tourney you mush use your god given powers and use that forfeit sometimes or other players will learn that time limits doesnt mean anything.

3) Make sensible tourneys. Keep it interesting.

4) If you dream of long tourneys think a way that it will be still interesting when you have to play 80str up those killer dwarfs with your amazons...
Ludakk

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2003 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

terdulehead wrote:
Ludakk, do you have any opening for a u.s player in your league?

Yes, there is one, unded team needs a coach, if you need to get in touch with me just e mail me at:
deloran2000_2000@yahoo.com
Thanks and GL where ever and whatever league you play in.
-L
Ludakk

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2003 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Jugular wrote:
I'm sure any logo, pic or banner you made would be lovely ludakk but I'm sure you and many other league commishes (me included) wish they didn't have to go through such convoluted selection processes as urs to gaurantee decent stickability.

All the rules in BBBL say stuff like:
"Make sure you stay commited, make sure that your life is not built around BB, make sure you have fun and won't stall the league flow", if all of the things that I just mentioned sounds like you and others then why not join. You dont really get the fact that I have e mal and Pms every day saying:"How come ppl are so slow as far as playing their games?"
"How come they arent able to finish their games in a week even though everyone is located withing the same time zone?" "Why are we forced to wait for days and days for all the others that slacking"
So, never criticise me or all the others that are in charge of all the leagues run though here untill the day you get thses many e mail and PMs from members from your own league on the daily basis.
All I ask everyone is my league for is to stay commited and if people cant, what is the point to join any of them? Just to screw fun for all the others withing the group?
Ask yourself these qs and see what kinda answers you can come up with. While you are doing that I'm making sure that people that do join my league have the best fun on here, best oranized fun.
And I assure each and everone of you that once you do join BBBL you won't be sorry you did.
Take my word for it, or just take a look:
http://deloran77.tripod.com/bloodbowlleague/
Thank you for your time!
-Ludakk
Jugular

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2003 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You sounded offended in your last post Ludakk. I was in no way criticizing your league. You may notice I myself have a team in ur league and do regularly search for my opponents and try my best to complete the games required of me. Your selection process is what attracted me most to the league and I'm sure it'll be a success. However I'm just hoping for a time when you (and other commisioners) wouldn't feel the need for such a selection process and you would be happy in the fact that you could check one single stat that would assure you that any given coach is a committed one.
I myself have tried to run leagues and have found some of the problems peikko stated, most prominantly the open round robin system although I tried my best to mimic what has to become the Faction style of 'games played' table.
(and by the way I am looking forward to any logo's or the like that i may acquire by trying my best in your league Very Happy )
Ludakk

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2003 - 01:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Jugular wrote:
You sounded offended in your last post Ludakk. I was in no way criticizing your league. You may notice I myself have a team in ur league and do regularly search for my opponents and try my best to complete the games required of me. Your selection process is what attracted me most to the league and I'm sure it'll be a success. However I'm just hoping for a time when you (and other commisioners) wouldn't feel the need for such a selection process and you would be happy in the fact that you could check one single stat that would assure you that any given coach is a committed one.
I myself have tried to run leagues and have found some of the problems peikko stated, most prominantly the open round robin system although I tried my best to mimic what has to become the Faction style of 'games played' table.
(and by the way I am looking forward to any logo's or the like that i may acquire by trying my best in your league Very Happy )

Yup, you are right, I was all offended, I just took your post the wrong way, I'm sorry about that. The reason imho why alot of leagues are dying out is cause not everone is on the same level of commitment as some of the guys in each and every league, also when you play a team or lets say teams and you loose, or your team gets killed and you have not enough players that you are able to field for the rest of your matches you feel like... well, it makes you feel like:"Man, this sucks, I soulda never joined", but at the same time you never can predict these kind of things happen to all or any of us. Sadly we are not protected, well our teams arent. That is why I've cut my format in half (last season was 10 game season), that is why I'm asking to fill out the entry form on my page so that people can realize that once you are filling out this form you better belive that you are going to have the best time of your BBrelated life on here. Yes it is difficult to run a organizzed league where you try and falow a formula, but I'm stupid like that I just keep trying and eventually I'll find me whole bunch of dedicated, pro coaches, not by myself, but with the help of people like you J and and some of the others. My league is not built aroulnd myself, my league is built around each n every coach in the BBBL and once everyone realizes that this league will never cave.
But then again, maybe I'm just day dreaming, maybe this will never work that way at all, I'll have all the answers to all of my qs in time.
-Ludakk
 Jump to: