29 coaches online • Server time: 01:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Matt_wyeth

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2004 - 06:07 Reply with quote Back to top

umm guys the handicap doesn't do that much. really take the weather scroll not that useful for an elf team that plans to have fare weather conditions not to mention the weather scroll isn't permenant and the weather can change. or how about an extra re-roll for most teams thats only an increase in 5 TR when the difference in TR is at least 10. or that babe gots talent thats a very useful one since cheering fans might occur once in a game. the handicap table doesn't do anything too useful unless there's only a minor difference in TR and you get a powerful one which has a very small chance of happening.
doddkeith

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2004 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok this stimulated a fair bit of attention and reads.

I totaly agree with the concept of the handicap system to start off with, but what appears to surface here is we have a great computer to do the team calculations for TR and the Value ST invented by the operators of this site to better reflect the playability of a team...

There is little or no chance of the real rules ever being changed to relect the system of ST as you'd need a computer to do all the calculations to arrive at the value. (Think I'm right there, the guys who invented it may call me out on this)

This site plays thousands of games and the stats from it must of great use for GW.

The bottom line appears to be that a teams ST remains a much more accurate gauge of that teams ability to win on the field. So be it.

The biggest gripe appears to be the inclusion of players missing games into your teams TR for the purposes of calculating handicap. For all intents and purposes this the site reflects the LRB and the LRB reflects a group of table toppers who don't want to spend 1/2 a day calculating their teams ST value before each game without the aid of computer which the fumbbl site has.

IMO the inclusion of the players missing games at the very least should be thought over. (Nigglers not withstanding I understand that part) Just because the LRB has a particular rule for ease of calculating doesn't mean the fumbbl site shouldn't consider a better representation because it has a server to do all the boring math.

What do you think?
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2004 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I played a game with handicaps including morley's revenge, virus and running late. Of 16 players I fielded only 7 first drive. The handicap results are simply too varied, from useless to crippling for old beat up teams.
Sad

Quote:
Each handicap roll a team gets increases the strength by 5.

Okay. So assuming I wil give away 5 rolls, I should play 25 strength below me? That doesnt sound realistic if we can choose the 5th one... virus will remove 50+ str points from most teams I'd imagine.
SparkingConduit

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2004 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Ummmm, though most of you have a good point, the team STR isn't too accurate. I have a str 162 Undead team and I have my ass kicked by an Amazon team of equal STR, usually because Undead are already naturally strong, and so have a high rating to start, while for an Amazon team to attain that high a STR, they must usually have at least 20 extra skills on their players. This way, sure it may seem unfair, but you must remember, an Undead team with 12 Skeletons and 3 Zombies is probably going to have high TR, low TS, and thus must make the best of this disadvantage. But, you must admit, an Amazon or whatever agility based team is going to have a high TR because most of their players are natural star material, compared to a Zombie. This seems to be rather fair to me, but, as I have said, if you have a problem, don't whine to us, find a way to rectify it.

Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2004 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Britnoth the point is to never give away 5 rolls (thats 101+ TR difference) and while it is true that some of the results are powerful others are far less so. So if someone is silly enough to play up by that much you can easily beat him if he gets unlucky on his handicaps or even if he gets lucky in some cases.

Actually Amazon teams usually have high TS because every player has Block and Dodge quickly however if your opponent has a lot of tackle Amazons are much weaker than their TS suggests (remember that TS is the entire team they can field at the start of the match by injuring even one player you reduce their TS significantly which is why AV7 teams prefer to have a slight TS advantage to start)
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2004 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Michael_Warblade wrote:
Britnoth the point is to never give away 5 rolls (thats 101+ TR difference)

Umm.... how am I supposed to NOT give away 5?? Retire all my good players? Then why play at all if as soon as I make a team with 2 good big guys I am forced to retire them again.

Sorry you aren't making any sense.
Grod

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2004 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

er Britnoth: play teams with a similar team strength, not newbie teams. Its not really that hard kid.

Oscar Wilde
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2004 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Play people with <100 TR difference you only give away 4 handicaps and try to ensure your opponent is lower in ST even if only slightly (by the way halfling teams are not supposed to be easy to play thats mainly what handicaps are for that and stopping teams from getting above around 300 TR) than you also retire any players with multiple niggles as they inflate your TR especially if they have more than 100 spp apart from that you will just have to keep replacing your people who continually get injured

or you can just suffer with the handicaps
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2004 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I like that FUMBBL stays as close to the LRB as possible - so keeping handicaps based on TR makes sense to me.

BTW I have been turned down for games because the TR difference was too high - and generally I know I'll get an even match when both TR & TS are roughly equal.

Jump to: