57 coaches online • Server time: 18:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Qaz

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2006 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I bin thinking about a new tournament format. A bit like a Rooky royal rumble. But with only 8 coaches. First off 8 man sign up to for the tournament. Then they are assigned a race to play. All 21 races are divided into 8 groups. Might be Undead Dwarfs CDs Amazons Norse in the strong end. And then follows groups with weaker teams. People are assigned a team according to CR. The coach with the lowest CR gets a randomly chosen team from the strongest group of teams. And the Coach with the highest CR gets one race randomly chosen from the weakest group. When races are assigned the coaches creates a team from the race they where assigned. They can create it any way they want as long as it is the assigned race. Then they apply to the group and there tournament is set up with opponents randomly chosen.

That way you would have the weakest coach play some thing like Dwarfs VS a good coach playing maybe woodies or gobos. I think this could be a fun tournament format. What do you think?

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
pragtyro

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2006 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

some of the 'weak' teams in the hands of a rookie coach, are exremely powerfull teams in the hands of a veteran. (wood elves being the strongest example, but not the only one)
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2006 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

this is a great idea, but like pragtyro I think you can't go just off of fumbbl statistics for strong vs weak teams (I'm assuming by strong you mean capable of winning). A good coach can do amazing things with flings at low TR. That said, if you can agree on a rough order (strong/medium/weak) teams this could be a fun tourney.
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2006 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, if you give a bad coach dorfs on a one-off tourney, he might not be able to score well. A good coach with any elf or humanish team, on the other hand, should have no prooblem winnning a game. Still, I like the idea in general.
Qaz

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2006 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

True that a rooky coach might not win with a dwarf team but it might give him some advantage he might need vs the expirenced coach. If you change it around so an expirenced coach had dwarfs vs the rooky coachs woodies I think most people could guess the outcome. The idre is to have a turnement with diversety in teams. In many Low TR turnements you see expirenced coaches taking a strong starting team to ensure them a good chance of a win (my self included). A rooky smack with only top coaches could easely consist of only CDs

the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2006 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't be interested. Not that the idea is bad bad it's a 1-off tournament.

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2006 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz wrote:
True that a rooky coach might not win with a dwarf team but it might give him some advantage he might need vs the expirenced coach. If you change it around so an expirenced coach had dwarfs vs the rooky coachs woodies I think most people could guess the outcome. The idre is to have a turnement with diversety in teams. In many Low TR turnements you see expirenced coaches taking a strong starting team to ensure them a good chance of a win (my self included). A rooky smack with only top coaches could easely consist of only CDs

I'm just saying that as a poor coach, I would rather take humans or elves rather than dwarves. Maybe you could make a short list of teams disallowed to the highest CR coaches, or better yet, have a 'draft' whereby the worst coach gets to pick his race first, and the best coach gets stuck with what's left.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2006 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

In the KO trophy coaches over 145CR are restricted to using flings or gobbos.

The little folk have won three out of five so far. And one of the big peoples' wins was a coin toss. Smile

How about not restricting by race but by TS or TR. e.g.

CR < 150 = max TR200
CR < 160 = max TR180
CR < 170 = max TR 170
CR170+ = max TR160

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2006 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the original idre was for it to ba a ranked turnement.. and to be rooky teams. But I kinda like the Draft idre.. With restrictions. Let the worst coach CR wise. Chose his team frely and then restrict some of the better coaches. also no duble teams so we have team diversety.

Still a lot of thinking in this one left. are one could debate if gobos are are that bad as a rooky team and so on.

the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
xcver

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2006 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

gobbos are definitely worse than halflings as rookies in my book.