51 coaches online • Server time: 14:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2003 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

This is just some (stupid) idea I came up with - I don't expect it to happen anytime soon, just for the coding required - but I'll just put it down here so it has been mentioned (and ripped to pieces in the following discussion).

How about adding a peasantbowl centered league?

What is it?
Whoever followed the development of peasantbowl, knows what it is about - to those that didn't:
- Peasantbowl teams only start with unskilled lineman [human/zombie/skaven/sauri/orcs only for the time being]
- No player is allowed to have more than 3 skills - he then leaves the team for a "professional" one.
- You are only allowed to play against teams within 20 TR of your own TR rating

How to enhance by hardcoding?
- Two divisions ... one general peasantbowl team league (max. 2 teams per coach) one "professional" league (max 1 team per coach). Only teams of the above listed races allowed in both.
- Teams in the professional league can be started as regular teams. Those in the peasantbowl part only with linemen.
- Professional teams can buy players off the peasantbowl teams.
- Players that are not bought off the peasantbowl teams end up in a "stockpile".
- Each two/four weeks the three best peasantbowl teams enter professional league, getting a small extra money due to a new sponsor
- Likewise the three worst professional teams drop to peasantbowl status - with all their players (they just can't buy anything else than linemen afterwards)
- Each day/week a number of players from stockpile is selected randomly and offered for auction. The highest bidder at the end of the day/week receives the player. If no one bids it goes back to stockpile.

Uncertainties
-Allow to buy across races (mind you they all are only linemen) or only race internal?
-What do those Peasantbowl teams _do_ with all their money? (Allow to transfer money from your peasntbowl teams to the professional one?)
-Will players stay in "stockpile" forever or "retire"?
-How to prevent abuse? (You only are allowed to buy players from other peasantbowl teams than your own?)

Well why all that?
- Mainly because I am positively insane.
- Secondly ... well it could be fun Smile.
- Thirdly - somebody would be quite annoyed having to code all that Smile.

Discuss!

[And again - if it happens I am well aware it will not happen anytime soon.]

-Mnemon
darak_eyetwister

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2003 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I must say i like the idea, the peasant feeder team could be pretty cool. Like u say it would take some work and i dont think it will happen. I put a suggestion in last week about a player transfer system and admin basically said a big hairy "NO". A pity but i like your idea more. Hey we can always dream.Twisted Evil
SpIkEdDeAmOn

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2003 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

it would maybe be not so hard it would take a while, but i think it could be done, the problem with, darak's transfer system is that it would upset the balance of teams
Azurus

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2003 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

They're both good ideas, and I don't think there would be a problem with people abusing the rules in the peasant bowl version, as long as players can't be moved without auction. (so all the coaches know what's on offer)

I have another idea though. I think the best way to do this would be to hardcode both ideas together in the same league. (see Mnemon's comments on the unlikeliness of this happening). There are some ways of keeping the balance when transfering players, though. (These have been lightly playtested, but the league wasn't big enough to know for sure.)

1) If the cost of all players is hardcoded (eg +10000 per skill, +20000 per stat increase etc), nobody can build up their team by buying players from their friends on the cheap. Naturally the normal (starting) cost of a player would still be used for purposes of TR and such.

2) Each player type on the team lists could be given a 'position'. (so a black orc is a blocker, a trollslayer a blitzer etc). Teams could then be restricted to having only the same number of 'position' players as on their team list. So, since a lizardman team has no throwers on it's basic list, it couldn't have a thrower of any other race either. Or a human team can normally have four blitzers, so it can have four blitzers TOTAL (from all races).

3) As you can see from above, I'm in favour of cross-race transfers. These could be run something like the old 'alignment' rules for who could play for what team. I would also suggest that players from oposite alignments can still be hired, but at double cost (a BIG bribe).

Anyway, that's what I would like to see. Obviously it will never happen, but I'd like to know what people think.
 Jump to: