68 coaches online • Server time: 21:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should player trading be allowed ?
Definately YES!!!
37%
 37%  [ 23 ]
No WAY !!!
57%
 57%  [ 35 ]
No Oppinion
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 61

m0nty

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The only possible way I would see trading working is this:

- Fix the sale price, which would be the figure calculated automatically by the site (the one that appears in brackets after the cost price), possibly with a multiplier like 150%. Call it an agent's fee.
- However, the seller would only get back the original cost price - or the amended price, whichever is lower (to stop abuse by selling injured players) - which would be explained away by corruption or some such. Alternatively, a percentage or fixed amount (e.g. 20k) would be taken off the cost price for each injury on the player.
- Also, you would only be able to trade between teams of the same race, and you would not be able to gain positionals beyond the normal allowed slots.
Gameon

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice idea, but the dangers of exploiting are too great. I say do not implement it. A nice idea though.
Linke_Wipeout

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

how about limit it to one player from each coach ? should be quite enough teams/players out there to chose from anyhow.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

As people have already noticed, trading players would be exploited.
My main reason for being against a trading system is mainly based on the fact
that it should hurt when your star-players eventually die. With a trading system,
you'd just go on the market to hunt for a new player to replace the dead one.
Try taking a human team. One of your 100+ spp linemen dies and you need a new
one. A human lineman isn't too easy to give SPP's, especially not when talking about
high rated teams, so you'll probably go on a hunt to get a 16spp lineman from some
newbie team (most likely for a pretty low price too).
A team is a personal team, YOU develop it. It's not about being a bit lucky to get a
lot of cash so they can afford to buy skilled replacements.
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
poi66 wrote:
selling players to it´s half worth would be cool enough...

I could tell my damned thrower if he drops the ball one more time he goes under the hammer!

Which is the strongest reason to not allow trades in any form. "Yeah, cool.. I'll sell my double niggled lineman. Hey, Bob.. Buy it with your SillyTeam and I'll buy that -st goblin off your orcs"..

Well, a double niggled orc lineman with no skills would have a value of something like 33 K. So if someone wanted to buy said player at double his value with a throwaway team, he would have to come up with 66K - meaning he would have to play a game with the throwaway team team first.

It might also make sense to put a minimum on player value and/or skills before you can put them on the block. No one should want to buy a double nig rookie lineman, but someone *might* legitimately want to buy a leader/block/dirty player double niggle lineman...
MixX

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

In short, I like the basic idea. How it would be implemented is luckily not my headache, but I like the idea where both seller and buyer lose a bit on the trade, that way it wouldn't be interesting to trade players unless you really wanted the player in question. As for it not being in the LRB, no, it isn't but if I remember correctly, giving/lending cash to each other was in the old rulebook (in Jervis' comments or something), of course the "old rulebook" isn't the LRB, the LRB doesn't have any of the funny stuff (like how BB was discovered etc.) so that's hardly worth anything, but it's an example of a "rule" that isn't in with the rest of the rules but more like a thing the league commish had to decide upon.
Perox

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be a nice option if one could trade any player for a new player of the same type, on the condition that the worth of the player traded in should be at least the price of the new player. This should prevent abuse concerning the trading of damaged players for new players.

[edit]
For clarities sake: I am talking about trading in players, not trading between coaches or teams.
m0nty

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2004 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as not being in the LRB, of course it's not. Trading is only viable on somewhere like FUMBBL, and the LRB was not written with open leagues containing thousands of coaches in mind. The fact that it's not an official rule doesn't mean we couldn't try it out in DivX, for instance, with something like the constraints I listed above.
Colin

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2004 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

This (and it's been asked before) sounds like something which *might* make it into DivX one day - I guess the recent changes to DivX have given coaches new hopes and ideas. Both the current changes and the addition of player trading (there are so many ways you could work out the mechanics, including some great ideas in this thread) would add a whole new management element to the game, something a little akin to the highly addictive Championship Manager ("My name is Colin, and I haven't played CM for 2 years"). Considering the addictiveness of FUMBBL as it stands, and the aforementioned addictiveness of CM, then combine the two...you have heard of guys who died from playing computer games, haven't you?

I think a workable system could be hammered out. There won't be that much money sloshing about with the new DivX rules, and 'agent fees' could certainly ensure that any sales made were highly motivated, plus bidding wars over players could be highly entertaining. However, it would consume a lot of admin time, so there would have to be limits to keep the number of players traded small.
The GLN could of course write up all sorts of sordid stories explaining why X player is leaving Y team Smile
Mnemok

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2004 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

If you combine the higher cost, a stop to spp progression (like any star) and a "Can´t sell any further" some of the potential abuse could be stopped.
Buy that oneturner gutterrunner and score, but the rest of the team won´t get any progression at all and the spp he earns just goes into higher TR.