50 coaches online • Server time: 21:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2004 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I like diving catch for netters to represent them using the net to catch the ball and my snots play the passing game almost exclusively although that's Hail Mary Pass. Works for me.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2004 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Just another point, aren't fanatics a big part of night goblin fluff? Maybe theres a way to work them in somehow without them looking too much like a snotling carbon copy.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2004 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The fanatic issue was talked to daeth a while back when the very first roster had them, it was near unanimous to exclude them I think.

Again I must stipulate I'm not really fussed how they look so long as they're in, we can tweak them later when there's sufficient match data.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2004 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

My opinion:
1) keep out the unridden squigs - its a blood bowl team not a warhammer army. As traitor says they just add carnage.
2a) try shadowing for netters instead of tackle - its a bit more subtle for an effect somewhere between tentacles and diving tackle.
2b) going with the "using the net to catch the ball" idea, give the netter extra arms (the extra reach with a net)
3) starting with dirty players is for goblin cheaters, who have plenty to offset it (losing half your team to unlucky ref rolls).
4) give the squig hoppers AG and ST skills but no general (ST for the squig, AG for the rider).
Nobody else has it and it gives the team some unique (if unreliable) development.
A player with block/tackle/RSC knocks down a halfling 87.5% of the time and casualties them 21.2% of the time
A player with pile on/mighty blow/RSC knocks down a halfling 42.1% of the time and casualties them 16.2% of the time.
Of course, catch/sure feet is another way to go if you prefer to score touchdowns
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2004 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know if this has been suggested before, it's just a thought to justify squig hoppers being able to carry the ball. Why not just say that they simply always have a rider that stays onboard at all times and can't get off. They are a team and become, in essence, one player.

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2004 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbird, that's pretty much been the idea all the time, if I understand you right. The rider and squig will have a single profile, and work as one player in the game.

Netters having catch skills still seem fairly un-fluffy and rather useless; while it can work with the hail mary pass, that's not a skill regularly availible for stunties.
How about just cutting down netters and clubbers to 1 each? They would be the 'secret weapons' of this team, so to speak.

The general skills access on squig hoppers seem to cause alot more debate than I expected. I cant help thinking that people are over reacting somewhat: all big guys have general skill access, after all. Noone complains about trolls smatshing down 2 stunties per round with multiple block, after all.
However, I do realise that squig hoppers are more mobile than any other big guy, and there are 3 of them, so perhaps the concerns are justified. We could always try them with strength and agility skills, and if it turns out that lacking block and tackle is too much of a disadvantage, it can easily be changed with minimal impact on the game.
That said, I still feel losing general access may seriously limit the hoppers. In addition to block and tackle, they lose any chance of getting pro(a very useful trait for these guys, since they tend to make alot of dice rolls), and will be hard pressed to get skills such as strip ball and sure hands.
However, all in all, it may be better to start with strength and agility skills than general and agility. Changing strength access to agility access probably wont cause too much of a problem, but if agility/general turned out to be too powerfull, we'd still be stuck with a bunch of grandfathered block/tackle hoppers.
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2004 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, so lets decide upon a roster and do some playtesting with the other teams, then we'll be better able to make a decision

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2004 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Playtesting result

Tested this roster:
0-3 squig hopper 5 4 3 7 OFAB RSC pogo stick 90k
0-2 netter 6 2 3 7 dodge stunty thrall extra arms shadowing 70k
0-16 herder 6 2 3 7 dodge stunty thrall 40k

3 hoppers, 2 netters, 6 herders, 3 RR, FF9, 1 apothecary (a fair starting lineup)
versus a rookie chaos halfling team (2 troll, 2 carver, 10 flings) coached by svartkrona

1st half, the hoppas kick off - both teams cause 2 casualties and 2 KO to the other, 1 fling is sent off on a foul.
The hoppas score on turn 8 (not a stall, took that long to get control of the ball).
OFAB didnt cause major problems, a couple of stuns. One time had to dodge to reach a thrall (not a done deal with AG3 and no dodge). Pinning the squigs down may be a good tactic to use against the hopper team.
At half time, the ref sent off both chainsaws so both teams were on similar number of players again.
2nd half, the hoppers scored quite quickly due to giving a touchback to a squig and protecting him from troll blitzes.
However the flings luck came back and they cleared the field into the KO box on their drive, scoring in the last turn.

Final score: 2-1.
Inflicted 4 casualties, suffered 3

Comments on the players:
Squig hoppers are highly mobile, but they burn team rerolls. RSC and ST4 makes them the 1st choice to blitz with, but all the gfi makes things quite likely to go wrong. They fill the same kind of role on the team as bull centaurs. Downside of ST4 is you don't want to go toe to toe with opposing big guys. As a result the trolls were standing most of the game.
1st skill choice: sure feet
Netters have a kind of twin role as safety and ball holder. Shadowing worked well in this game, causing a couple of turnovers for my opponent. They are fairly safe to hand off to with the 2+ catch roll. Like witch elves or werewolves, a good player that attracts malice.
1st skill choice: side step

Comments on the team:
They handle a bit like goblin cheaters, you have players who can cause a few casualties but they're not all that reliable.
On a bad day you'll lose half your team to OFAB rolls as opposed to ref rolls.
Traitor

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2004 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Im still not 100% sure about the netters in that setup, but they do seem to add some variety in play and noone is complaining that they're over powered. Lets use the list Elara suggested as a preliminary trial list and do some testing. We can always modify it as we go along.
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2004 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone who wants can download the above roster and some serviceable icons from this link.

http://www.jbowie.plus.com/NightGoblins/NightGoblins.zip

I'm not entirely sure that the link will work if it doesn't, tell me nad I'll see what I can do.
Also post opinions on the roster here and we'll see how we go.

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2004 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Tested a few times and seem nicely balanced between scoring and carnage, although if you lose your squigs on the first couple of drives you're screwed (a bit like Cheaters).

Come on people lets get testing, there's icons and a roster from the above link or the download section.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

bump

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Klipp said he needs the icons resized. And that he might be more likely to implement them if someone does it.

Evo

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2004 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I have next to no skill with anything like that, all I did was colour them and fiddle about so they stand still most of the time and just move when they're selected. The original Icons I got from another site. If I could help I would but I didn't even know they were the wrong size.