21 coaches online • Server time: 05:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should older inactive users be removed ?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 24 ]
No
59%
 59%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 59

Surtur

Post 5 Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that older users, who haven't been here for a long time should be removed because :

1) Their team names could be re-distributed amongst active users

2) Why keep 'em here if they are not playing anymore ?

Oppinions needed.. and don't forget to vote Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

this thread smells like deja vu to me...

I voted no last time and I say no this time also.

If someone is not playing for a period of time, it doesn't mean he/she will not play in the future anymore.

People can want to have a break, have a job leaving too few spare time for a while, try to get a life... You know there are tons of reasons for not playing.
Deleting these accounts is not fair, imho.

marco

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

This has been discussed before... If the coach has played even one game, he cannot be deleted because the FUMBBL game history would then be corrupted.

But maybe coaches who haven't logged in like 6 months and never played a single game.

Anywho, I don't think poll is worth a dime here, Christer does as he sees best anywho. Smile
poi66

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Surtur... whats your definition of "a long time"?
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Cause they are part of the leauge history

and i like how fumbbl encourages you to be creative with your teamnames, encouraging imaginination and creativity is a great thing

why should you get to claim something that someone else thought of and used first?

and like veron said any games that have been played will mess the database up if the team or the coach were to be deleted

the only ones we can remove and I have done some of them are the coaches who registered an account and never actually played a game, they aren't linked into anything else in the database so taking them out doesn't hurt but its a very small % of coaches that are like that, so in the scheme of things it makes no difference

also what if those coaches come back and want to pick their teams up where they left off, they would be a bit miffed if they were taken out cause they werne't here, its not like space is at a premium and there have been an number of coaches who have been inactive for months who come back and play again

so the two reasons you give for your proposal are in fact totally needless and don't really offer any benefit to the site for doing so
Surtur

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

That is the idea... players who have created a few teams and never had the urge to learn the use of the client.

I see this in a whole new perspective... thank you... the oppinions were the ones i needed

Poi66 : A year is a pretty long time... something like that

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all

I'm agree that players that havent connecten in a year and havent created any team would be removed.

A long time ago i make a suggestion that was less agressive and may be can help.

"scenario"

a) I build an elf team , in my first game i met a bashy team i got killed,SI almost of my players.

b) I build an specific tournament team and the tournament ends

"result"

I usually have to retire my team.

"suggestion"

recycle older team names.

It's funny that if i delete an aproved team with no games. I'll get a new team (ok i cant change race)

but if i have only a game played i have to retire my team and i cant use that name any more.

It will be cool you can recycle your own team names.

I hope you'll like the suggestion.

thanks in advance.
Surtur

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds reasonable ?

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It might be worth a consideration to change team names of retired teams from xxx to xxx retired y, whereas y is the y-th time that a team with that name has been retired.

Anyhow, I think this one is only a minor issue actually.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

its not going to happen

if you want to keep the team name you keep the team, the reason you don't get to use it again it to encourage coaches to keep their teams

there is a somewhat throwaway culture on here where coaches can't stick out a team and give up at the first sight of trouble the team comes into, I have played through some very rocky patches with some of my teams. It gives them both history and character and actually gives you something to show for your time

i know i am somewhat of an oddity but i havn't retired a single team that i have made on here

if you don't like to stick a team out then thats fine but you will have to create a new team name every time you want to do so, also every new team thats made means more work for the approvers so that keeps that down, and no not more approvers is the answer, one of them is already approving inappropriate teams

there isn't a rule saying you have to retire a tournament team after a tournament, look into joining another one or running one yourself for others in your situation

same thing with the team that suffers some beats, nothing stopping your carrying them on, if you want to take the retirement option then you will have to again think of another teamname

thats the rules thats what they are staying like

edit for miras post: that again would mean more work for approvers and admin, if you want that nothing stopping you making your new team xxxx 2 or xxxx the return
Shinan

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2004 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I stopped playing for a while in last May. I only recently returned and I wouldn't have liked my account to be gone. I love my teams, even though they can't win a single game... (in 20 games now: 1 win, 2 draws Smile)