39 coaches online • Server time: 14:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Jump up on a tree?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 18:49
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

So.. With the implementation of resurrection style tournaments, I figure that there is little need for ladder as it stands right now. There is obviously not so much interest in non-progression teams that it warrants a whole division for itself.

So, I propose a new ladder format, which would be a slight variation of the factions:

- Standard progression
- All teams get assigned to a group (Let's call it a rung) based on their team strength. For instance, 0-99, 100-109, 110-119, 120,129, etc. An alternative would be to use team rating instead.
- A team may only play against teams in their own rung
- After each game, you get moved up/down the ladder, based on your new Str / TR

This new format would be more focused on building a big team than anything else, and would give people a clean unranked LRB division, with a few restrictions on who you can play against.

As for Str or TR, there are benefits in using both:
- Using Str will allow me to isolate the weaknesses in the strength formula more easily. It should also result in more even and fair games
- Using TR will remove handicaps, which could be a nice change of pace. It would also impact team management as you would be more prone to kick injured players.

Feel free to comment on this or give alternative suggestions.
DropDeadFred

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds Nice

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

sounds great! count me in!
Seppuku

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good. How about an average of both TR & TS to minimise the impact of each rating?

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

/msg christer looks good, I'd go for TR at the moment, flings, gobbos and ogres are very underestimated in the str formula, IMHO
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Given various people's issues with the creation of Ranked and TS in general, I think a TR-based ladder would help add another, more rounded dimension to the league as a whole. It gives people even more alternatives than they already have.

Basing it upon TS, however, as you mentioned, would help with sorting out any issues with the formula and would likely result in 'fairer' matches.

I personally quite like the idea a great deal and I think TR might be a better fit for the new Ladder, at least as I understand the intent behind it.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

It sounds like there is no bonus/incentive for winning since you move up and down the ladder based on TR/STR. If that's the case, then this is really just Div-U where you are tied to playing someone at your own TR/STR. I don't see the "catch" that makes that interesting. Can I throw this "ladder" concept by you?

Make 4 "rungs" based on TR :
(100-149) Lightweight Division
(150-199) Middle weight Division
(200-249) Welterweight Division
250+ Heavyweight Division

Every time you beat an opponent you climb to the spot above him. If a game causes your TR to be in another division then you start at the bottom of that division rung. On the last day of each month Championship Belts for each Division winner will be given as awards. Teams must play a mnimum of (x?) games each month. (Maybe 4 - up for debate)

Pros - coaches that like playing at a certain TR can manage their rosters to stay in a specific weight class.

Cons - A coach that reaches the #1 spot after the xth? (4th) game can sit there for the rest of the month and win the belt.

Alternative - maybe the top 4 teams on the 25th of each month have 5-6 days to play a 4 team KO tourney to determine the winner.

Just Thoughts

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you could just give out awards (ie: faction medals) for the best records in each division on a (insert period of time here)-ly basis and not move into new rungs until awards are done.

IE: new teams start in TR 100-109 and don't move from there until the start of the next cycle. If they played one game and only went up to 106, they stay in the same rung. If they played 8 and went up to 142, then they move up to that group. In the meantime, before people are shuffled, awards are given out for the best win % in each rung, with a minimum of 4 games or something.

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely TR for me.
Unxerxes

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

This sounds like a much better ladder-concept as the previous one (which is why I never played Ladder so far). I would take Mully's rungs and combine it with the ko-tourney. As stated in Mully's post I too would go by team rating seeing as we have Ranked which is currently "dominated" by strength. I would also like to point out that it might be a good idea to make the intervals between ko-tourneys for the belt rather large (a month, maybe more). This way it could grow to become a substantial contest and people who can't play often also have a fair shot at getting their games in (as opposed to the 2 weeks of faction which I left since I never got around to 8 faction games per 2 weeks and I know of others who left faction for similar reasons). I would rank people inside a certain rung according to win% and the first 4 would do the ko-tourney (this way it really doesn't matter if you played 2 games or 20. You are both about equally strong anyway (seeing as you're in the same rung) and you should be about as good as your opponent (unless your high win% is due to luck of course) so it would produce fair match-ups imo. )

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Mullys idea also and TR is the way i would go also.. Laughing
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 22:02
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

My experience tells me that anything that forces a schedule will cause too much trouble for it to be worth the effort. As such, the KO tournament is out of the question. Adding the periodical reordering will only make it beneficial to play alot, as the player who plays most will often end up with a stronger team.

One of the key points of my suggestion was to give people the option of playing in a format which focuses on building a high TR/Str team in a LRB environment. Now, the ranked division does this, but some people do not like the ranking system for various reasons. A system like this would be an attempt to give them a place to play, without having to worry about various other "for-fun" rosters.

My suggested "rung" system would simply be a way to reduce the ability to cherry pick and force people to play reasonably balanced games.
Andariel

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont have it like 100-109 110-119... thats too many of them, and therefore too few games

I think it should be based on TR.
Mully

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

One of the key points of my suggestion was to give people the option of playing in a format which focuses on building a high TR/Str team in a LRB environment

The only difference between this and "U" is that "U" allows non-LRB races. I can easily do this by choosing not to play those races when LFG on chat. A agree this new division needs something distinct from the others. I just don't think this does it yet.

You might have realize that you've already provided all the alternatives a BB fan could ask for with R/U/X/S/F and that there isn't a need for another division.

:0

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

There's no skill whatsover in this kind of division? What is the incentive of winnings? Sure you get SPP:s for TD:s but the only thing important is to:

A) Collect lot's of SPP:s
B) Collect lot's of money
C) Not lose players (Making high AV-teams preferable)

That is if the goal is to get the highest TR. If you choose Ts the goal will be to pick skills like guard on all players to get a lot of TS.

If it's meant to create different divisions with a roof of how much TR you may have then it might be fun as it will have the opposite effect on skill-requirements. Therefore I think it's important to point out that the goal isn't to get highest TR of all teams. Personally I feel sorry that the ladder division isn't more popular. I liked the few games I managed to get. :/