29 coaches online • Server time: 09:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Whitebrow

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Question, tried searching forum to no avail.

[A] Bad Mood Brawlers Orc 50000 6/1/3 152 / 144

Above is my acadeny team.

I get that 144 is my team strength (TS) and on my home page is my coach ranking (CR)and sort of get how both of these are calculated.

However as i understand 152 above is my team ranking (TR)

Could somebody please help me understand how this is calculated?

It seems important in Academy factor in Academy but in few ranked games i have played it seems to be all about TS.

So in games should I be ignoring TR when trying to get fair match ups?

Sorry thats about 10 questions!

Thanks in adavance to any help you can give me.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

TR is calculated as per the rulebook LRB4. Basically it is the actualy cost of your whole team and current money you have. It also includes players who miss next game. You also add up all the SPPs and divide by 5 and add that to the TR.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/help:Ranking

http://fumbbl.com/help:Strength

hope thats of some help

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks TR makes sense now

Im guessing both TR & TS worth looking at in a match up, just strange as sometimes there is a big difference between numbers. Can get confusing

Thanks again
PainState

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

those are the two most informative links but the most convoluted, stats heavy, mind boggling and totally boring expalanations I have ever scene related to Blood Bowl. It was obviously written by a dwarf from the founding of blood bowl because even veterans of the game have their eyes grow tired and the slow creep of not giving a crap seep in, obviously the root of why most coaches just pefer a good foul when presented with more than one choice.

SO once again probally no help Paul, good try.

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

WHAT? How you could make any sense out of that dwarvish scribble Whitebrow baffles me. I suspect you are just being nice and have silently decided to figure it out on your own.

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Stupidly did a degree in maths so dont mind the numbers plus it costs nothing to say thanks

In all honestly been very impressed by the majority of people on this site in the short time been here, all very helpful.

So again big thanks to all
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

at first it may seem confusing but here's one way to think about it...

TR is the rating of the team but it doesn't take into account players missing next game etc etc

TS takes into account that players missing next game don't count etc.

you can think about it as your TR is how strong your team "should be" and TS is how strong your team "actually is". Now this isn't exactly right but it's a good way of thinking about it.

When trying to find "fair" matches in ranked *most often* the best way to do that is to look at TS since it's most representative of how strong your team is for the next match. TR, however, affects handicaps and handicaps can allow a weaker team to have an advantage (obviously).

The basic rule is treat 1 handicap = 5 TS... people will argue weather or not this is fair... but I think that's generally accepted.

So when looking for a game in ranked you should look at each of your TS's (adding 5 TS for each handicap) and if that's close generally the game is fair.

Now there are some major examples/situations where this can be misleading.. for example A team of blodgers (block and dodge) vs a team with no tacklers

Hope that helped...feel free to ask for some more clarification

Last edited by seanh1986 on %b %07, %2009 - %23:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah sorry tbh it was kinda lazy of me just to post links without any explaining info but i was trying to cook at the time. i hope it was helpfull at least a bit Very Happy
to explain a little more:
TR is the calculation which is in LRB 4 and therefor the "official" rating of how strong a team is meant to be.
TS is a FUMBBL stat that tells you (in theory) how strong a team REALLY is at that current time and therefor doesnt count players who are missing for the match or unspeant money (as well as changing the values of certain things).
Idealy a "fair match" would be one which is close on TS and idealy close on TR as well.
CR is simply a rating system for coaches taking part in the ranked division. Its important if you choose to believe in it or can be ignored if you dont Very Happy

EDIT: football got in before me Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:

CR is simply a rating system for coaches taking part in the ranked division. Its important if you choose to believe in it or can be ignored if you dont Very Happy

EDIT: football got in before me Very Happy

hehe made it before you...but i forgot to address CR...

basically it works as follows...you gain more CR for beating a tougher opponent/game... so you get rewarded more for winning hard games and less for winning easy games...

again this is a major topic of discussion and most players on fumbbl hate CR and find it misrepresentation. In some cases, yes it can be misrepresentation... but if someone has a high coach rating...they are probably a pretty decent coach
Whitebrow

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Again big thanks to all, hope i will get change to play against you all in near future
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2009 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

all numbers are teh borked.

pick opponents by how funneh their bio is.

end of story

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 01:21
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

One important thing here - your Academy team is unplayable while TR (the first number) exceeds 150. You will need to reduce your TR somehow (hire and then fire two assistant coaches is the easy way) - if you try to play a match with an [A] team while the TR is greater than 150, it will fail to upload, which can be disappointing.
 Jump to: