46 coaches online • Server time: 16:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which format of Table Top league would you prefer?
Closed, sceduled, finite season, culminating in a playoff and championship
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
An ongoing open league with player arranged matches, a ranking system and periodic tournaments based on TR brackets
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Something different. (please explain)
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Ace-Bronson

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2009 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Im helping to brainstorm for a new league in my area. It is currently up in the air whether it will be an open league or a closed, scheduled season. I can see pros and cons to both sides, though I am leaning towards an open league where people can arrange their own games and report matches to the commish as they go along. And then have periodic tournaments based on TR brackets.

Im hoping to get some sage advice from the FUMBBL crowd and hear what has worked for you in the past and what hasn't worked. Reasons along with the thoughts would be helpful as I will need to convince the other people involved in organizing the league.

Thanks ahead of time for your input. Cool
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2009 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

A closed league is a better BB experience. An open league is far easier to run and much less likely to collapse. I cant tell you which to choose because I dont know your group Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Ace-Bronson

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2009 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

ha, I dont really know them either, that is part of the reason i am leaning towards the open league. we are trying to rally some players together on a local gaming forum and I have never met any of these guys. It doesnt take too many flakes to ruin a closed league whereas in an open league people can play thier matches around them and leave them in the dust with no ill effects to the league as a whole.
Carnis

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2009 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted other, I'm currently playing in 2 unrelated LRB5 table top leagues. The other one is closed, the other one is open with periodic tournaments.

The closed one lost a player 6 weeks ago, so 1 player is not getting a game every round and also the rounds tend to get very long as you have people with different playing preference and free time etc. The closed league teams are still fairly unevenly TR-matched from around 1100 to 1700. Open league one has also lost a player, but doesnt matter that much. Open league tends to have same people playing each other, if they are friends/live next to each other etc. I don't really see any merit in playing a closed league, as that requires total commitment and adds basicly nothing, as the current inducement system is pretty good (especially the stars with high st/mb/block, wizard & bloodweiser babes really seem to even the odds).

I'd say with LRB 5 inducement system you can fairly easily arrange an open league with periodic tournaments even without matching the TRs.. Anyway # of coaches is more important than your system, but an open one is supposedly easier to get new people into.
Ace-Bronson

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2009 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

cool, I'll have to look into the inducement system and see if that might be a good thing to incorporate.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2009 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Inducements arent something to incorperate, they are a fundamental part of LRB5 (and a very nice part too). A closed league is still the best fun you can have from BB if you can make it work... but if you are trying to gather together some gamers who arent primarily BBers then I would recommend an open league.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
 Jump to: