33 coaches online • Server time: 00:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Astarael

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Its slow and unagile though, thats a suprisingly big deal for big guys when they lose loner. I'd have probably gone for the big rat beasty cos its fast and has a nice tail.

You go for anything with a nice tail...

I'd of gone for the ref as my first pick.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 06:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Why, does he have a tail? Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Carnis

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

WoW, you picked a Dorf blitzer? o_O Even with thick skull & AV9 it's the slowest blitzer in the game with no extra skills to show for it.

Only reason even Dorfs pick him is he's their 3rd & 4th ag3 player & their 3rd 'fastest' player. I would have picked the tree/troll as well, in a draft league regenerate + apothecary will make him a lasting general pain in the butt of everybody.

Now go rank up your trollslayer & norse blitzer with Mb/Piling on and kill all their AV7-8 drafts one by one Razz. I wonder though, if you could have done better with your 5th-8th pick. 0 AG4, AV7 heavy and no ag access accross the board..?
DirtKlan

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Astounds me that you didn't take the Vampire when it was still on the board.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Nobody really knows what was on the board when he drafted yet except for the 1st round.
I think beyond that we should hold our kudos and criticisms until he posts the league rosters and/or draft order.
Astarael

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2009 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

johandenerad wrote:
The Krox, Mino, Yeti and Ogre had all gone by my pick, so it was Troll, Treeman or the Rat Ogre.

Catalyst32 wrote:
Nobody really knows what was on the board when he drafted yet except for the 1st round.
I think beyond that we should hold our kudos and criticisms until he posts the league rosters and/or draft order.

He said he had the 5th pick, so unless pick orders changed then Krox, Mino, Yeti and Ogre are 4 picks... He gets the next one. Vamp would of been available.

Of course the draft could of gone differently from what he said.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2009 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

That's a lot of S skill access coupled with lots of Block and AG3. The Orc linemen complement the team perfectly and the skaven lineman will make a good safety.

I think the lack of AG4 could prove to be a good thing overall because having one AG4 ball handler could unbalance the team quickly since he'd do all the scoring (although he'd be good for catching comps). I think you got a good team although I would've gone for the vampire instead of the troll. The troll could prove to be good value compared to the Rat Ogre since Rat Ogres do get hurt easily (this is assuming that you can't replace drafts?).

I'm impressed with the team.
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2009 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, you said you have access to the Death Roller as well. Do you have to buy it into the roster to use it? Because if you do, I wouldn't bother with it. It costs too much and doesn't really add anything to the team. You have two ST4 and one ST5 player already.
Carnis

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2009 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Team balance though, isn't as big a deal in LRB5 as it is in LRB6. The 7th skill still costs just 20k in LRB5, and not 100SPP/5 => '200k' in team value.
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2009 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Carnis wrote:
Team balance though, isn't as big a deal in LRB5 as it is in LRB6. The 7th skill still costs just 20k in LRB5, and not 100SPP/5 => '200k' in team value.

All the teams are starting at the same time so it's important to get SPP's on everyone as you'll be skilling up at the same time as all the other teams. 31 SPP's on one guy gets you three skills, but 31 SPP's can also get you potentially 5 skills when spread around.

Managing TV in LRB5 is a big deal as you'll give away more or get less inducements if you have flab on the roster.
johandenerad

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2009 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, lots of talk on this since I last checked. Will try and justify some stuff that's been questioned (also, will get up links to other teams when asap, still no webspace yet).

1. Troll vs. Rat Ogre: I just like AV9 more, but it was a tough choice. Oh, and the Rat Ogre no longer comes with Frenzy - big guys were a bit nerfed in that they couldn't have more than two skills: MB (or Claw for the Yeti) and one other. The Mino also lost Frenzy.

2. Troll vs. Vampire: My plan was always to have a ST 5 player, and I didn't want to change it, tempting though the Vampire was. The Troll was also 40k cheaper, not that that made a huge difference in my decision. Surprisingly, the Vampire went 7th.

3. Dwarf Blitzer: Orc Blitzer and both Longbeards had gone, all I wanted an AV9 player with Block and S access. Thick Skull was just gravy. The team's lack of mobility is an issue, but one I think I can cope with.

4. No AG access: is fine, as if I'm trying to dodge, throw or pick up in tackle zones something has gone horribly wrong. Other teams are more flexible than mine, but I knew I was picking a narrow team.

5. 5th-8th pick: The Norse Blitzer is a risk at 5th pick, but I wanted a second Frenzy player. AV7 at 8th pick was impossible to avoid (Zon or Norse Lino, no brainer there).

6. Death Roller: this will cost me 120k, or 160k once I put it on the currently unsinged Gobbo I drafted. I will be using it once I get the chance. Only one other team in the league has 3 ST 4+ players and I won't be playing him (or the team that has two ST 5, the 2nd pick git who picked up the Yeti and the Mummy), so if I have 4 ST 4+ against all those with just 2 I should be able to dominate for one half. It's a big cost, I'll lose out a bit in terms of inducements, but the team is there to cause pain.

Thanks for feedback, like I say, will link teams etc. as soon as they're up.
Zombie69

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2009 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with those who said that not taking one AG4 player was a mistake. Having just one on your team would have created lots of opportunities that you just don't get otherwise.
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2009 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd still advice against taking the Death Roller. It costs a lot and every time you play against agile teams there's the risk of a two turn score (whether you're on offence or defence). You'll be dominating with ST3 and Guard pretty soon anyway.

The problem with the Death Roller is that it's too easy to imagine having it in certain situations but over the whole match you're losing out too much because of Secret Weapon and you don't really need the additional Strength.

Inducements are super useful for withstanding pain. Two Bloodweiser babes negate a lot of your ability to hurt the other team and clear the pitch for good as KO's are a lot more common than CAS. Many Star Players also go a long way towards negating your ST advantage.

Why not take the gobbo by the way? He's cheap and brings something mobility to the team that no other player has. At the very least he'd be a cheap bench.
johandenerad

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2009 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

On the Gobbo, I was thinking of grabbing him after the first game, as he'll only cost 40k. Rerolls were cheaper at startup, so I decided to go for 5 and one less player to save me cash in the long run.

About the Deathroller and AG4, you guys are probably right. Still, I just love the sheer nastiness of the Roller, though it is vulnerable to fast teams turning you over and scoring. I think I'll be alright without AG4, but it would have been nice.
 Jump to: