37 coaches online • Server time: 11:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
When do you decorate the base of your miniatures?
Before painting mini
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
After painting mini
82%
 82%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 51

Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2009 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

When do you do it?

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2009 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Both before and after, actually. Before undercoating I glue sand and/or small pieces of gravel etc to the base. After I have finished painting the entire miniature I glue static grass to the base.
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2009 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I use almost exclusively sand that I glue to the base (ofc. sometimes more scenic stuff is added). But essentially I ALWAYS Paint over the sand and paint it together with the mini. Yeah, I use paint for the base, what a weird notion Very Happy

Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to be dense, but what if you like the colour of the default sand GW makes? Does under-coating it provide anything other than a chance to make it the colour you want?

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

at wednesdays
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Sorry to be dense, but what if you like the colour of the default sand GW makes? Does under-coating it provide anything other than a chance to make it the colour you want?

That is exactly the point, you can make it any colour, shade etc.

I am no fan of using static grass and sand straight out of the box glued onto the base. It can look flash but mostly it is done wrong and many a mini looks decent other than that they just landed feet first into a kitty-litter box.

EDIT: Check my orc team I made years back. Their bases have all been painted. Though the image quality isnt too good...

SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

Sand just looks wrong on its own mostly. Remember that the sand grains will often look a bit too big to represent sand.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
GoodWill

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2009 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

PhrollikK wrote:

EDIT: Check my orc team I made years back. Their bases have all been painted. Though the image quality isnt too good...

Hey Phrollikk!

Check out my Orc-team I am still using today on Fumbbl:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=549397

Isn't that awesome?! Thanks again for those pics of your minis ... combined with the icons you made and put in the custom-section, this really adds to my game-experience!

Very Happy
 Jump to: