36 coaches online • Server time: 01:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should I do now ?
Transfer Skaven Team to League
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Just create Undead team in Ranked (to test the waters)
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Transfer Skaven Team to League & Create Undead Team in Ranked
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Transfer both Academy teams to League and create 3 Ranked teams
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Rathstar

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2009 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I used to play bloodbowl quite a bit about 4-5 years ago. Recently I played a game against a friend, and then found this site while surfing the web.

I've got 2 teams in Academy and played 3 games so far. It's nice getting games with skaven as I got the models a while ago but the 2 games here are my first games ever with them.

Now I've got two avenues for progression and I'm not sure what to do.

League Division Transfer

The skaven have started so well (apart from a niggling injury from my first skill aging roll), I'm tempted to transfer them to league division and enter a tournament or league.

The rookie leagues and tournaments look like they would fit the bill. However although I'm a rookie skaven coach and a rookie to fumbbl, I'm not a rookie to bloodbowl so would these tournament/leagues not be suitable and/or would I be allowed to enter.

Next question I have is how much time commitment is required for leagues. I could easily fit in 2 games a week, would this be enough for leagues and/or tournaments ?

My only worry with transfering the skaven to league is that if I don't get into a league it's harder to get pick up games in League than Ranked (from looking at Gamefinder).

New Team Division

I'm about to create the first team I used to play with (Undead), now should I create it in Academy (to get more practice) ? I think I don't need it, and I'd probably be good enough to compete in Ranked. However it would be easy to be delusional about my abilities having only played in Academy, so if anybody could have a quick look at my games to assess my ability I'd appreciate it.

One last option if you think I'd ready for it (from looking at my games) is to transfer both my Amazon and Skaven Academy teams to League division and create an Amazon, Skaven & Undead team in Ranked. IS this last idea good ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rathstar
Archevol

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2009 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The choice is yours, of course. However, I'd suggest joining the 145 Club. It's run by Koadah, and he clearly puts in a lot of effort to keep it interesting. There's nothing stopping you from playing other games on R or B at the same time, so perhaps it may be best to take advantage of your 'newcomer' status until you're more sure what you want to play.

Most leagues are one game per week. Depending on the league, you may well be able to enter your older teams anyways, which will ensure they get games.

Best ways to check how you're doing is spec other matches - preferably from some of the vet coaches such as PurpleChest, Emphasy, PeteW, SpooneyBard, Pigstar-69, PurpleGoo, ForrestGump, et al. (here's hoping I spelt all their names correctly).

These guys have honed their games to a very effective level (although tactics vary immensely between coaches). It's always good to steal what you like - Emphasy showed me more about surfing in one half than I'd ever used before.

It's even better when you play 'em and get some decent luck ftw! After all, we are judged as BB coaches by our peers...

Last edited by Archevol on %b %19, %2009 - %14:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2009 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go for the last option. Leagues are a lot of fun, and generally it will about a game a week for most leagues (some may vary). Certainly being able to play two games a week should be fine. Also, Koadah's 145 club is open to all coaches who are new to fumbbl, it doesn't matter how good you were/are at TT.

I haven't watched any of your games, but I would suggest going into Ranked now. But beware that you may well lose a lot of games to begin with. There is quite a step-up in quality between TT and fumbbl. Personally, I think I play far better on fumbbl, as I concentrate a lot more on the game, whereas playing TT I tend to chat with my opponent much more. However, this might be because I play fumbbl as Bloodbowl, and treat TT almost completely as a social activity, where there just happens to be miniatures and dice and stuff like that. Very Happy

For more general advice, I would start teams with higher fan factor, and retire niggled players. For this reason, it might be worth leaving both teams in Academy for now, and starting new teams in League to join various things there, and in Ranked for more free play. Higher fan factor will result in more money for your team which will be incredibly useful for Skaven and Amazons especially. Undead need the money slightly less, potentially (although if you're entering leagues/tournaments the Count will be very useful...), however higher fan factor will result in them winning more kick off table results. Here I am talking about Get The Ref mainly, however free rerolls are also useful!
 Jump to: