40 coaches online • Server time: 11:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lordweston

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2009 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I've started two pro elf teams in academy recently and they have suffered 17 casulties in four games between them I've retired both teams. I know with AV 7 they are prone to suffering injuries but four a game is making them very hard to keep going. I've played several turns with as few as four players on the board is this normal? I know I'm not the greatest player and have made many mistakes with them but these haven't cost me casulties can anyone give me some advice on how to start a pro elf team succesfully and on how to defend a drive in general?
BroadAsImLong

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2009 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

im am far from an expert, but. i find it's best to start with rerolls over positionals, and as high FF as you can get. ReRolls will mean less turnovers which in turn means the opposition won't get as many of those turns where he/she blocks most of your men. To survive with elves you need to try and minimise the amount of blocks you will take each turn. Less blocks = more ppl on the pitch next turn Smile
Defending a drive is always tricky with elves, try to make sure the opposition cage or ballcarrier can't move much. put your men with one space between his and yours. This is far better than sticking your men next to his to stop him, as reduces the blocks. If you think you have a chance to create pressure, a good way is to blitz one of the corners of his cage and stick 2-3 men of yours next to his ballcarrier. Then move other units to touching the corners of the cage. This means it will be very difficult for him to create a new safe cage. You gotta pray you men survive Smile but when they do, you should be able to create a good chance on the ballcarrier next go with some dodging and those ReRolls you have instead of your positionals Smile

Like i say im no expert, and there's probably a million other ways to slow stuff down. But I've found minimising the blocks i take, and giving the opposition no space to breathe creates better chances, and more men for the 2nd half Smile

BroadAsImLong
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2009 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well.. there are a few things that contribute to that high cas-count:
1) You played a chaosteam featuring a claw/RSC/frenzy beast and another claw/MB beast. This is just nothing a rookie pro elf team can handle - or only handle if you know what you are doing (meaning single out and fouling the threats off).
2) You give up alot of blocks. Most games over 40 blocks. That is alot more than your AV7 can handle. When you play undead and the two mummies rack 19 blocks between them, then you are doing something wrong. Playing with little contact is key to AV7 elves.
3) Starting with two or even 3 catcher isn`t a good idea. Without block or dodge they are not really good in a starting team. Get them, once the rest of the team can support them - then they will be great. I suggest 2 Blitzer 9 linos, FF9 and 3RR as a good option. Or 2RR and an apo.
4) Proelves aren`t really that easy to get off the ground.
Rags

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2009 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

As the other coaches mention, avoiding blocks is key. Static blocking matches expose elves weakness and don't play to their strength- dodging. Elf teams are the best dodgers in the game, but are also fast enough to keep redeploying so as to force opponent to make dodges to move the ball forward- they only get one blitz a turn. Just as elves are vulnerable to blocking, many other teams are vulnerable when dodging.

I recommend always starting with a thrower- for (regular) Elf teams they only cost 10000 more than linemen. Start with 2. The first skill up comes quick- take dump off and create an offensive thrower. This allow throwers to invade the opponents half and dump off to blitzers or catchers when blocked. Even if the pass is failed, quite often stops opponent siezing possession and keeps ball in their half. Dump off allows a 2-3 man alternative to a cage which AG4 Elves can do like no other teams
demastes

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2009 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm ive just played an WE team with my orcs and did nearly double the blocks he did, but i was the one with loads of casualties, had to retire team. in my limited experience you cant avoid casualties in this game. they happen. think there might be some programming hidden encouragintg them but no solid proof =P =D
so just keep plugging away, eventually you will start to get money to replace players, or youll have a run of 4 games with no SH/RIPs and youll be ok =)
alonut

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2009 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Rerolls and a big bank balance(FF) are key as people have said, Elves seem to suffer the curse of AG4, means they roll ones quite a lot so having rerolls to stave off the inevitable failed dodge/pick up is essential.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2009 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, a couple of things.

The Blitzers!

They are the true backbone of any good elf team (catchers are mostly flash.) Scoring is easy with the Pro Elves anyway... defending is not. That's where the AV8 and Side Step comes in handy.
I would never start a Pro Elf team with any other positional players other then blitzers. Catchers cost too much (for a starting team), tend to be SPP hogs and they die a lot. Better to skill up the linemen first.

The 2 blitzers and 9 linemen will free up cash for those all important Re-Rolls and Fan Factor.

Also, get one kick lineman asap. It's one of the most important defensive line-elf skill you can have as this will help you dictate the play more on defense were your team needs strengthening the most. Put pressure on the opponents ball carrier at all times coz man-marking vs a bashy team isn't always a valid option.

But the most important defensive skill you need to learn when playing Pelves is: Don't score too soon. Seriously.

Anyway... good luck Very Happy

ps. Pelves rule!

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2009 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

also, when defending, NEVER set up more than 3 people on the line of scrimmage... you give away loads of free blocks as you always set up 6-7 players on the line (at least in your match vs humans) - you get blocked more and lose more people....
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2009 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Rags wrote:
I recommend always starting with a thrower- for (regular) Elf teams they only cost 10000 more than linemen. Start with 2. The first skill up comes quick- take dump off and create an offensive thrower. This allow throwers to invade the opponents half and dump off to blitzers or catchers when blocked. Even if the pass is failed, quite often stops opponent siezing possession and keeps ball in their half. Dump off allows a 2-3 man alternative to a cage which AG4 Elves can do like no other teams

No. A thrower is a luxury on a team where everyone can pass with reasonable chances of success. Getting one later is good. Getting one at the expense of blitzer, FF, RR or apo at the start is not - lineelves skill by spreading the 'pickup and quickpass' duty around. A thrower takes all those easy SPP for himself. Getting two is even worse in that matter.
An offensiv thrower makes alot of sense. Walking that guy into the opponents half isn`t that much. Accurate and safe throw makes your thrower deliver passes 13 squares away (MA6 + 7 range of short pass) with only a 2+ to roll with a reroll. As this is half the field, why do you have to walk into the opponents half with the ball? Keeping him back makes your opponent spread thin - and that`s when elves shine.
DumpOff can be nice on catcher that start with NoS. Still it`s a subpar skill because it`s only used if you mess up and let the ball take a hit. A dumpoff NoS safethrow thrower is a nice ball keeper, but you really want a 3 skill thrower with AV7 to be hit on a regular basis? And is it really that much better than being able to keep the thrower far in the back where noone can touch him and your opponent has to send out guys away from the action to threaten?
Chewie

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2009 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

And take dodge as a first skill more often than not - trust me, you don't want to leave too many players in TZs.
 Jump to: