90 coaches online • Server time: 21:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2009 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

As an alternative, we could have qualifiers, that are sorted by TS. This way, lower TS teams can level the field first. You could also have an UI like Light/Dark split of races in the qualifier.

There are ways to even it out - though with DE winning the first straight major, is there really demand for such measures?
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2009 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:
Question: do B tournaments have the same increased k-value for working out BWR as you'd see in ranked tournaments (and CR)? I ask because smashak just won a major and isn't in the top-10 BWR list. Just thought he might be after the win.

Answer: No they don't. The increased K-factor was removed for ranked tourneys some time ago because it was open for abuse.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2009 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Set the tournaments to overtime but state that games end after two halves. If overtime is invoked by a tie then the higher TS team is compelled to setup in such a way that the lower TS team can walk in a single touchdown.

I don't see how this is by any means easier then write an already existing code that pushes one of two teams through on a tie. The principial idea is cool tough...

CircularLogic wrote:
As an alternative, we could have qualifiers, that are sorted by TS. This way, lower TS teams can level the field first. You could also have an UI like Light/Dark split of races in the qualifier.

I hate that idea... teams would have to face the same problems during the qualifier like they would during the casual gamíng in bbox... If they can't build their teams up in there, I don't see why a turnament should even try to be a platform for this... in the end it just gives lower teams easier games and better teams worse games..... I don't try to find a boxing champion in light, middle, heavy and flyweight to then make them compete against each other... the real turnament will be held in the heavy weight class and what happens later is just a massacre

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %21, %2009 - %13:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
clarkin

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2009 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:

Answer: No they don't. The increased K-factor was removed for ranked tourneys some time ago because it was open for abuse.

Wow, didn't know about that. Fair nuff so.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2009 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
SillySod wrote:
Set the tournaments to overtime but state that games end after two halves. If overtime is invoked by a tie then the higher TS team is compelled to setup in such a way that the lower TS team can walk in a single touchdown.

I don't see how this is by any means easier then write an already existing code that pushes one of two teams through on a tie.

It doesnt require Christer to code an extra option into the site. My suggestion is trying to work with what we've got.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2009 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
CircularLogic wrote:

I hate that idea... teams would have to face the same problems during the qualifier like they would during the casual gamíng in bbox... If they can't build their teams up in there, I don't see why a turnament should even try to be a platform for this... in the end it just gives lower teams easier games and better teams worse games..... I don't try to find a boxing champion in light, middle, heavy and flyweight to then make them compete against each other... the real turnament will be held in the heavy weight class and what happens later is just a massacre

So we combine the two ideas. There is a round robin group stage in which the best advances. First you split the races in more and less bashy (like UI, just not with dorfs on the light side), then you sort both groups by TR and from groups with close TR. The high TR bashers are now playing high TR bashers, while the low TR bowlers are playing their kind. You don`t think, that this will massively even out the team strenghts?

That was just an example... what I would love anyways is the idea of some kind of round-robin/swiss format. I mean.. we have way more time between the majors in [B] - so why not use it?
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2009 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Remember, there will be 3 Blackbox Majors per year, and each deserves it's own flavour.

So one tournament could be the low TS progressing on draw scenario, where another tournament could be the light/dark qualifiers etc...
 Jump to: