55 coaches online • Server time: 18:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

how do I go about changing the pitch images and player icons in FFB?

when playing or viewing replays I want to use different ones, I like old school circles with letters but I don't like the ones you can turn on in the options I'd like to use a different set that I have

also I'd like to use a different pitch to make things easier to see

the RIP tombstone stands out too much as well, any way to get rid of that?
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Good questions, I would like to see the same.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The plan is to be able to use any icons you wish for your default roster. You can upload anything you want and they will used. Then you can turn them on and off as you wish in game.

Unfortunately this is not ready yet and, as I understand, requires some work on both ends from the client and Christer on fumbbl.

Not sure about getting rid of the tombstone either. Personally I am not too keen on a number of the blood splatters and dislike the tombstone. Maybe we can revise the images for those for a future version as part of the icons overhaul.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the same issue as Grum, I'd like to be able to control all icons in game (not just my own team).

When I've mentioned this previously (sadly I have, since I'm a geek who struggles with change!), it's been said the plan is that you can only control your own team. For the opposition, you choose between their upload, the standard, or the letters. I've been trying to like the 'new' (/ current) icons, but it's graft. They're just so ugly (no harm to anyone's hard work; just an opinion).

Not bothered by spatters etc, but interchangeable pitches would be nice.

All after the skills, etc, of course.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

The pitches, as far as I know, are supposed to be changeable in future.

Maybe Kalimar could have an option to change other rosters too, don't know?
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2010 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Just tried out the client for the first time since before the matches were able to be reported. This is rather vital from a user point of view (for me at least).

The icons are just far too hard to see easily (being colourblind) and the same goes for the abstract icon set as well. Also the letters for the players all seem swapped around in a way that is confusing. Z for blitzers instead of zombies for instance.

Being able to use your own pitch and icon sets for both teams would solve this instantly.

Obviously I understand getting the rules all working is a priority though it is a real struggle to use it as it currently stands.
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2010 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook, the icons and pitches will be interchangable, thats in the plan.
And if you find strange stuff in the letters in the abstract iconset, please report them, they should be in a smart way, but as 99% of the players are not using them, i think bugs in that part might get missed.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2010 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that is a bug, iirc Christer said he was going to change them to make "more sense" a while ago.

I believe the letters on the abstract icons are generated based off those chances.

Though seeing as the colours used for the abstract icons are also not very nice for my colourblindness, it doesn't matter to me as I will use my own ones that I created for use in both javabowl and botocs. Well I will when the client lets me do so ;]

I think Christer and perhaps some of the other older coaches use the abstract ones, it is what I've got set at the moment but the appearance and letters used both are a hindrance to my particular needs. Though less so compared to the pictorial icons.

Still it is good to hear that plans are in place to let people control that aspect, I'll have to hold off playing with it until they do.
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2010 - 19:51
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I do indeed use abstract icons when I play. The icons are too small for me to differentiate easily and I end up spending way too much time trying to find blitzers or catchers or whatever they may be.

I have spent about 10 minutes in total setting up the letters for all abstract icons. At some point, I will go through them all again to have them be a bit better. The Z for blitzer thing was a quick way to ensure that blitzers didn't collide with Blockers. If you have a naming scheme that works I'll happily take the input.
clarkin

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2010 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Bz if it fits?

Are there races that have blockers and blitzers? Dwarves could have L for longbeard + B for blitzer.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2010 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:
Bz if it fits?

Are there races that have blockers and blitzers? Dwarves could have L for longbeard + B for blitzer.

You can't just compare players within a team. If you meet another race with the same letters for different positions, it's still abit confusing (B can be blocker, blitzer, black orc etc...). I vote for two-letter abbrevations.

And btw, there are no longbeards anymore, they were renamed to blockers.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2010 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I use my own set of letters with the abstract icons. I use capitals for the ST4+ players so blockers (bobs) are B and blitzers are b. Only positional I have trouble with are wights (i) and werewolfs (w).
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2010 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

B for blitzers as it is the most common

Bo works for black orc, LB for longbeard though they have changed name to blockers now, so Bl could work for both, CD for chaos dwarf rather than blocker Bm for beastman, BC bull centaur, Bo for bombardier BN beast nurgle

never had this issue before in javabowl

though like I said, the abstract icons background and colours still doesn't make them that user friendly

other conflicts would be T for thrower, Tr for troll Tm for treeman, TS for troll slayer, Th for thrall, TG for Tomb Guardian (though I've still got them called mummies so use M)

W wights, Ww for werewolf, WE for witch elf, WD wardancer

A Assassin, Ap for apple

G for goblin, Gh ghoul, GR gutter runner

M for mummy, Mi for mino

L lineman, Lo for looney

S for Skeleton, Sa for saurus, Sk for skink, Sn snotlings

FG for flseh golem, Fa for fanatic

P pestigor, Po pogoer

R runerrs, RO rat ogre

I think that covers all the options where there are conflicts, anything else just a capital so O for Ogre, C for Catchers etc

obviously if we can use our own icon sets than everyone can just use whatever they like personally, which is the ideal as I can get use ones I can see easily!

Last edited by Grumbledook on %b %22, %2010 - %14:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2010 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Few more forgot about Pact

Ma for Marauders, DR Dark Elf Renegade, SR for Skaven Renegade, imo G still works fine for all the goblins, inc pact, goblin and underworld
Eddy

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2010 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Since, as far as I can tell, LRB5/6 made it so that teams now are more or less "standardized" with positions such as Thrower, Catcher, Runner, Blocker, Blitzer, Lineman, shouldn't we stick to that? We need to find an elegant way to differentiate between Blitzer and Blocker (Bz and Bk maybe?), and maybe make a special case for the Big Guys (even though, apart from Pact teams, a team can only have a specific Big Guy, right?). For "pact" teams, we need something for the non-racial players, and that's it.

Jump to: