32 coaches online • Server time: 10:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cthulhu

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi
I had an idea for a new race that I think would fill a gap in the alredy existing BB teams.

Troglodytes are a race a blind but incredibly agile salamender-like homanoids that evolved in deep caves, far from all light.

Qty_|____Title____|Cost|MA|ST|AG|AV|_______Skills & Traits_______|Allowed Skills
============================================================================
0-12|Lineman______|60K_|7_|3_|4_|7_|Blind, Prehensile Tail_______|G_A_____Ph____
0-4_|Blitzer______|80K_|8_|3_|4_|7_|Blind, Block, Horns__________|G_A_S___Ph____
0-2_|Ball-zard____|70K_|6_|3_|4_|7_|Blind, Big Hand, Extra Arm___|G_A_____Ph____
0-4_|Runner_______|80K_|8_|2_|5_|7_|Blind, Dodge, Leap___________|G_A_____Ph____

0-1_|Cave Basilsk_|120K_|9_|3_|5_|8_|Big Guy, Blind, Wild Animal, Frenzy, Dauntless, Dodge, Leap|G_A_____Ph____

==New Traits==
Blind(Negative) : -2 on all attempts to pass, catch, pick-up or intercept the ball.
Eyes(Physical) : Negates the Blind trait.

I know there are formulas for player costs, but I dont know them so I just went as I thought.

So what do you think? Do you like the idea?
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sorry I don't particularly like them. I'm sure the next several poster will come up with lots of technical reasons why this or that is unbalanced, so i'll limit my objections to these:
1) What sort of "gap" are you talking about?
2) What is the purpose of making agile players who will end up being effectively ag2 or 3 when it comes to handling the ball?
3) You seem to have gotten a big dose of the "that would be cool!" the Basilisk is utterly ridiculous. If you can explain how it even remotely equates to any other Big Guy in blood bowl, do so. I really want to see how you justify all that for 120k.
Cthulhu

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It may not really be a gap, but certainly a new way to play a bloodbowl team. Agile teams (elves) are good to dodge and also very good with the ball. With blind, I wanted to make this team able to dodge and leap easily, but not very good with the ball.. unless you get a double on a skill roll and can give them eyes.

For the big guy, I just wanted to make something new, not just another strong and not agile creature with mighty blow. I thought that would be an interesting new type of big guy. I didnt necessarily want to make him as strong as other big guys, just different but with some of the same negative traits (wild animal, and cant use rerolls for him).
I think the fact that he is wild animal and only ST3 can be really bad, is the opponent gets you to have 2dice against at the start of your turn, it can be very bad, so he must be played carefully.. maybe i'm wrong.

I'm sure there is plenty of room for improvement, and I am waiting for all your comments. But I'm sure this could come to be a very interesting BB team, once we get it correctly balanced. This is just a first draft
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Cthulhu wrote:
So what do you think? Do you like the idea?

I'm afraid, I don't like "the idea" at all.

FUMBBL is not the proper site to introduce and discuss new rosters, that would rather be www.talkbloodbowl.com.

That fact, and this ridiculous roster (AG 5 and Leap by default, *rofl*) lead to the only possible conclusion that you are new to the game and have not played many games so far. Therefore, I suggest that you continue to play and enjoy the game on fumbbl and join www.talkbloodbowl.com to get some of the fundamental basics. Cool

Geeze, and you would have thought the Ogre Roster was broken... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I think the fact that he is wild animal and only ST3 can be really bad, is the opponent gets you to have 2dice against at the start of your turn, it can be very bad, so he must be played carefully.. maybe i'm wrong.

You obviously don't have the slightest idea of how wrong you are here. Did you ever see AG 5 and Leap in action? Apparently not!

Quote:
I'm sure there is plenty of room for improvement, and I am waiting for all your comments. But I'm sure this could come to be a very interesting BB team, once we get it correctly balanced. This is just a first draft.

And this is the wrong place to do that.
Christer

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 20:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Ag5 on a starting player is not really an option on any player. Two +ag upgrades and the player moves out of specification.. The agility table simply doesn't handle ag7.

-- Christer
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Plus they even can get a mutation that makes them lose "blind" on doubles? Seriously overpowered.

-Mnemon
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Some more thoughts:

The Basilisk starts with ag5, leap, Dauntless, Frenzy, and ma9.
That means with one roll of doubles he can get horns and then have a better than average shot to throw 2 2die blocks on any player within 11 spaces.

As has been said, no one starts with ag5, unless its a star player that cannot advance any way.

The fact that you have added two things to the game (Blind, Eyes) is another clue to the broken nature of this roster. The way bloodbowl is currently, there is no way to remove a handicap trait (like Bonehead, Always Hungry, etc.) getting rid of Blind on a fairly easy doubles roll is not balanced.
Cthulhu

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

No I have never seen AG5+Leap in action (except in home games with my too powerful wood elves), and I thought it would be good but not over-powerful since there is no skill that allows to reroll a leap.

I didnt think AG5 would be considered that strong if there is a -2 to handle the ball. And my opinion was that the eyes would not make this high AG too strong since there would not be anough player in the team to allow for a pass-catch play (unlike elves who can use any player for pass and catch), and the fact there is no thrower.
Plus you should only get 1 doubles with every 6 skills advances, not enough to exploit this high AG to the full potential it would have with a non-blind team.

For the big guy, I dont think he is too powerful.. He runs and leap everywhere, but without careful use, he risk being overpowered at the start of the turn and cause a turnover because of wild animal.

And I realised I went a little too... enthousiast with guys starting with phycials..
For a start, Blitzer wont have horns, and be AG4 without picks in AG skills.
I'll also remove extra arm to the ball-zard.

Maybe only 2 runners would be acceptable if they stay as they are?

I really appreciate your comments. I think Blind can help create a new interesting type of team, with great AG but bad for handling the ball. And I'm positive something great can come out, with input from the bloodbowl community.

I'll continue on this subject on talkbloodbowl.
Cthulhu

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

For those who would like to follow this on talkbloodbowl, the link to the topic is
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=104873#104873

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Cthulu has a new trait: Thick Skin

Ability to take (unnecessary) caustic criticism and treat it as constructive feedback.

Got to give the guy credit for that Smile

Good luck with the discussion at Talk Bloodbowl.
 Jump to: