26 coaches online • Server time: 08:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

So starting today every time I try to run the client to either play or spectate a game it opens & then shortly after shuts down on it's own.

I've tried deleting the clients temp files on Java as well as deleting & reinstalling Java & neither has helped thus far. This has never happened before so I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem or if anyone knows what else I can try to correct it.

I believe it's a Java related problem as I also use the fumbbl java chat applet & that has been shutting down over & over as well.

Please understand I am far from a wiz w/ PC's so if you give me any possible solutions please speak in layman's terms.

Thanks much

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have a wireless connection. Is it dropping. Do you have a firewall if so what is it

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Could well be something firewall connected. My work computer for example does the same thing for the client. It opens up but shuts right down. Not that I would play from work...
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion, I have a thing that plugs into a USB slot that connects me to our main home PC wirelessly.
The net itself is not dropping just the java chat applet & the client.

This is a home PC so no firewall that I'm aware of.

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

You may not notice the drops in wireless while viewing web pages, but if it drops and reconnects quickly it will cause chat and the client to crash. Which operating system do you have? I will assume windows xp. In which case keep an eye on the wireless icon in the bottom right corner of your screen next time it drops. If you move your mouse over the icon it will say connected or connecting or not connected. If it says anything other than connected when you drop. Then that is the problem.

As for firewall do you have anything called- Norton, avg,.zone alarm, McAfee installed on you computer

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the Norton Security Suite, not sure about the others.
How would I find out if I had those installed?

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, it seems it's my net then. When I hit submit on my last reply the page went blank & said unable to connect to fumbbl. I guess that means my net is unstable atm?

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You won't. You will only have one firewall. And yours is Norton.

I would check the wireless out first. Which operating system have you got? If the wireless is fine I would uninstall Norton. But I would go to Nortons web site and use their Norton uninstaller because it is better than add remove programs. If you just use add remove programs it leaves traces of Norton all over your computer which can cause other problems. Before you use the Norton removal tool on their site you must find out which version of Norton you are using, this is very important but easy to find out. It should just tell you which version of Norton it is when you open the program

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbird wrote:
Ok, it seems it's my net then. When I hit submit on my last reply the page went blank & said unable to connect to fumbbl. I guess that means my net is unstable atm?

Possibly is your broadband, could still just be wireless. Check wireless as said before and also check your Router next time it drops, check to see if any of the lights go off or change colour. Then let us know what you find out Smile
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

Possibly is your broadband, could still just be wireless. Check wireless as said before and also check your Router next time it drops, check to see if any of the lights go off or change colour. Then let us know what you find out Smile

How do I check the wireless?

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Need to know what operating system you have first. Is it windows xp, windows vista, windows 7 or a Mac?

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh sorry, I got the PC free & it came w/ Vista. =(

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, well in the bottom right corner of your screen near the time. You will have an icon of a globe with a little blue arrow pointing up next to it. When you next have problems with you connection move your mouse cursor over this icon and a box with information will appear. If it says anything other than connected. That will be your problem. Again let me know what it says.

If it does say connected then go and look at the Lights on your router. Again let me know which ones are on, off and flashing and what colour they are. The lights should all be labled

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, after watching closely when the client closed the connection was still good.
I checked the lights on the router shortly after & all the lights were green, but the 'link' light was blinking.

edit: I've tried it a few more times & the net isn't dropping when the client drops, but I also noticed the net didn't drop when I failed to connect to the fumbb page on refresh. I'm really confused as some other times when I refreshed & couldn't connect to a page or the client dropped I could see that the net had dropped? Ugh! Could the net be dropping off & on faster than it would be able to show in the status icon? Also noticed that if I watch the connection from the network & sharing window that will show it disconnected when it is, but the icon will still show connected in the task bar?

Anyone???

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, if the link light is blinking that means the router is reconnecting. (I'm guessing you have a 2 wire or D link router). So this means you are dropping sync then reconnecting. Which means there could be a fault on the network. You should contact your isp. You may not notice these drops when browsing the web because the drop and reconnect will only take a few seconds but when on the client or irc that will be enough to lose connection.