52 coaches online • Server time: 14:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
krysskroz

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 05:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the big ones look fine. Although the VSG would be a pretty cool concept, but I feel as though the game would lose some of its "character" with that route.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't get all these references to losing the game's character? Please explain.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a compliment; it means people are worried they won't like the new icons as much as the old ones that you & others have created. There is a particular charm, for those of us of a certain age, in having bitmap sprites; just like playing Blood Bowl, it takes us back to those halcyon days of our youths. The 'character' thing is hard to explain, it's like the difference between Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion special effects and modern CGI, or old-fashioned hand-animation vs a cartoon created with Flash (in both cases I'm much keener on the former than the latter, others may disagree). Newer technology often makes things easier, but not necessarily 'better', although that's pretty subjective.

Edit: And of course, there's the instinctive fear of any change...
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

another analogy would be people preferring 2nd ed minis over 3rd ed or later ones. some people like the retro feel for reasons outlined above.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Though there is some truth in that it is not the way to attract new players. Whatball is reliable with these things, and I'm sure the new icons would be better.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, thanks for the input folks.

To clarify, my intent would be to make the icons look very similar in style to the current (most recent) ones, just scalable and with some more detail and diversity. I think once a prototype for testing is done people can give their input and we'll find a happy medium.

And I am one of those old guys who loves the retro games and 8-bit icons... Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2012 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

was reading the LRB 5/6 icon post and got directed here. sounds like a cracking idea snd reminded me of a site i used many moons ago.

http://charas-project.net/charas2/index.php

basically pick a body shape/type/colour and then move onto face, clothing etc. works pretty well and on Fumbbl i think this would be awesome!
 Jump to: