19 coaches online • Server time: 01:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Let " Big-Guy" Tinkerbell become:
a Minotaur: nothing better for maiming your opponent...
30%
 30%  [ 16 ]
an Ogre: Strong all-rounder and the best nega-trait...
30%
 30%  [ 16 ]
a Troll: cheap and reliable with Regenerate...
38%
 38%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 52

Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been wondering about what Tinkerbell (my new Big Guy) will become. I've wondered and doubted a lot about what Big Guy would be best and now want your oppions and explanations. I'm quite curious what all you BB veterans will say on this one...

Oh yeah maybe consider as well that I'm not planning on hiring any players that I can actually throw and I also would like to still get games with my team. So consider the scare-factor as well...

Thanks a lot!

This is my team btw:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=133901

Last edited by Bascrebolder on %b %11, %2005 - %21:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't be bothered trying to find uses for mino's anymore and trolls are dull.

Take the ogre. When chaos can't get it anymore you'll have a better team.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Long term I'd go with the Troll. Really Stupid can be a pain every now and then but Regeneration is worth it imo.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on how you use the big guy, but mine is usually los fodder..and trolls are simply the best for that.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on strategy. If you want to hire Scrappa Sorehead to be thrown, then the Ogre is much better than the hungry trolls or minotaurs.
Better, to frighten your opponent is a minotaur with nasty mutations.

BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Troll... takes quite the kicking and keeps on ticking. Also rarely fouled, as many are not scared of them like they are minos.

Mind you, my big guys rarely do anything except try to tie up 3 players (which is why I worship the beast from the Rotter team), so if you want an active biggun the ogre or mino are better. However with the mino, you'll likely be back hiring another biggun before long.

Before they changed the rules for Orc teams (no ogres) I would have suggested an Ogre. Now, after many games, the Troll is my favorite. Once you get used to Really Stupid it is rarely a liability, and with the regen roll before apo use it is nigh indestructable.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Trolls, without block, frenzy is a liabilty and if you're not gonna block or blitz then wild animal will screw you over. I prefer regenerate for a lot of reasons stated already and a big guy is mainly for holding the LoS I think. On a side note, for most teams a big guy is superfluous at best and a liability at worst.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

i used to always take minos because of the possibility for mutations (after pro tenticles was awsome on a double) but now its just not worth it... trust me i tried another mino anyway and have regreted it ever scince. they do still have those advantages like horns and frenzy but my bull (+ some bad decisions of course) has cost me bad several times.
in my opinion the ogre is the best choice. yes the troll is very survivable but the ogres not exactly a weakling. the troll is too unreliable to waste a position on the field... hes slow and any good opponent will keep knocking the players away from him to make you use another players actions to help him. his only real use is going RAAWWRR at opponents Very Happy
on the whole i agree with LtMonkey big guys tend to be a liability

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

WooHoo, someone agreed with me!

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree to. No big guy. My new troll is messing up all my strategies on my orc team..... And in most cases your BOB (or CW) is gonna get you the 2 dice anyway. The extra STR is not worth the no re-roll negatrait in most cases. IMHO.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

So we have 9 votes troll and 6 votes Ogre so far ... Mino votes should just be disregarded, as they are FAR too unreliable without block. With G access, minos rule, IMO one of the best BG's (well at the very least coolest) Razz Without it, they're asking for turnovers and will just destroy your position.

I went troll myself, great LOS fodder, they can tie up opponents just as well as an Ogre can, has access to the great Regen and RS isn't much of a liability at all. Ogre will just set you back an extra 20k to do the same job, and won't be able to regen.
Revener

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

troll for staying power, you have the CW's to do the real bashing with anyway.

And with your ST4 beast you already have a ST5 (horns) blitzer anyway.
Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2005 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks a lot for all the replies so far! I'm reading with a lot of interest. So far my first option: the mino seems less likely than I thought. Your arguments against him are all viable. Biggest + for the Troll is his regenerate IMHO invaluable even though I hardly join fouling-type matches. Biggest drawback is his ability in mobile games against elves and stuff. His MA is lower than the Ogre and he cannot operate alone... and of course the Ogre has Thick Skull which helps a little to compensate the lack of regen (even though in general it's a pretty weak trait).
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2005 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree on BG being a liability. BG are only a liability if you rely on them. Don't do this!

I rarely through a block with a big guy unless it is the last thing I do in a turn. I cream my pants when I'm playing a game against someone when I see them blocking early with their big guy (esp with no block!)

No other players can take smacks like a BG can, and no player can tie up as many line fodder as a BG can. I'll let you knock over my wide arse troll all day if you are willing to use 4 players to take him out!

Despite the loss of G skills, bigguns (with guard) are a huge (pun) asset to any team.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2005 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

what bunny said before hits t head on ^^

Jump to: