44 coaches online • Server time: 18:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if you take secondary or tertiary options, your main positionals are depleted, so this should still maintain balance.

The bottom line is, you need to take at least 50% main race, and really 50% of that should be lineman. This should be mandatory. Ok with a race like Orcs it's not the case in CRP, however you could wing it to be the case with crp DB
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok spubbbba, your suggestion has helped me sort this out a bit more.

Idea

So what I'm going to do now is to choose what positionals I want to use from each of the current 24 rosters. This way I can have at least one player type from each roster represented in the set & still keep w/ the original theme of Dungeonbow. For example, I may use Dwarf troll slayers & blockers, but not blitzers or runners. Then I will place each of the choices within their appropriate race. For example, the human race may contain, amazon blitzers, human linemen & norse runners etc.

After doing this I can decide which races will play for each COM & in what tier. Then, using the COM fluff, I will choose which positionals from each race fit into that COM & place them appropriately to hash out each teams roster while attempting to maintain a fair balance to each by keeping count of each teams costs.

So essentially there will be two categories used in building each COM roster. The racial category & the positional category. I will still use the tiers, but they will end up having multiple races within each like spubbbba has done; if I understood him correctly.

This may require a bit more thought, but how does this sound Question

Also, keep in mind I am setting rosters as permanent for this set. Meaning I will choose what the rosters are going to consist of & a player will get to look at the rosters & choose one. They will not get to build that roster from a list of choices. Again, I want this to be a pull-out, one-off set that we can get going w/ quickly & I don't want to have to have or paint the extra miniatures that would enable these choices. The skills pack will be how a player can customize the team, but I plan to set-out the rosters w/ extra skills already attached to help on how long it takes to get started for a beginner player. Of couse an advanced player will want to use the skills pack & choose their own, as this will be more fun for them & likely better suit their own personal strategy.

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well remember what the Celestial comets did.

Their main and secondary were elves (this basically cancels the secondary choice) however the tertiary race was elven blitzers. This allowed them to take a 3rd blitzer.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Well remember what the Celestial comets did.

Their main and secondary were elves (this basically cancels the secondary choice) however the tertiary race was elven blitzers. This allowed them to take a 3rd blitzer.

Yeah, they did that for balance reasons I'm sure.
In fact if you look in the 2nd Ed. rule book, Elf teams don't even have blitzers as players, but Dark Elves do.
You have to use the veterans rules to get them on elf teams.

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, Elves got blitzers from Star Player onward. Also DB teams were generally better than 2nd ed rulebook teams.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Yup, Elves got blitzers from Star Player onward. Also DB teams were generally better than 2nd ed rulebook teams.

Yeah, I forgot about that. I had to check my 2nd Ed. star players book. Yes, I still have it! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

It's the same roster they have today.

2 throwers, 2 blitzers, 4 catchers and linemen (no kicker of course).
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Elf Blitzers were great, didn't have elf injury rules or sunlight rules like darkies.
I made some lists for dungeonbowl and here they are - http://pastebin.com/bMHQg0ev
Not perfect by any means but something for you to consider.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2013 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Elf Blitzers were great, didn't have elf injury rules or sunlight rules like darkies.
I made some lists for dungeonbowl and here they are - http://pastebin.com/bMHQg0ev
Not perfect by any means but something for you to consider.

Thanks Jimmy, I'll take a look at those. And yeah, elf blitzers w/ ST4 in 2d Ed. were way cool!

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2013 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbird wrote:
Ok spubbbba, your suggestion has helped me sort this out a bit more.

Idea

So what I'm going to do now is to choose what positionals I want to use from each of the current 24 rosters. This way I can have at least one player type from each roster represented in the set & still keep w/ the original theme of Dungeonbow. For example, I may use Dwarf troll slayers & blockers, but not blitzers or runners. Then I will place each of the choices within their appropriate race. For example, the human race may contain, amazon blitzers, human linemen & norse runners etc.

After doing this I can decide which races will play for each COM & in what tier. Then, using the COM fluff, I will choose which positionals from each race fit into that COM & place them appropriately to hash out each teams roster while attempting to maintain a fair balance to each by keeping count of each teams costs.

So essentially there will be two categories used in building each COM roster. The racial category & the positional category. I will still use the tiers, but they will end up having multiple races within each like spubbbba has done; if I understood him correctly.

This may require a bit more thought, but how does this sound Question

Glad it gave you some food for thought.

So using your Celestial college as an example do you envisage something like this?

Linemen 0-16 (or possibly 6-16 if you wanted a minimum of linos)
High Elf Linemen 0-16, Elf linemen 0-6#, Wood Elf Linemen 0-2*

Blitzers 0-2 from
High Elf Blitzers 0-2, Pro elf blitzers 0-1#, wardancers 0-1*

Catchers 0-4 from
High Elf catchers 0-4, pro elf catchers 0-2#, wood elf catchers 0-1*

Throwers 0-2 from
High elf throwers 0-2, pro elf throwers 0-1#, wood elf throwers 0-1*

Blockers 0-4 from
Wood Elf treemen 0-1*

# Maximum of 6 players total
* Maximum of 2 players total

That covers the positional limit and 2nd ed modifers from the tiers. But you could always remove some players altogether and increase some of those limits. I suspect the only wood elf choices that would get taken would be trees, dancers and maybe catchers.

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2014 - 04:36 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
By changing races to rosters I think you'll losing the feel of Dungeonbowl. I think you'd be better suited by adding more colleges rather than changing rosters to the original ones.

Or by just using rosters instead.

+1
 Jump to: