33 coaches online • Server time: 09:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, I could use some constructive advice.

I am still learning Bloodbowl - I have a range of teams which I am using to try and learn the ropes, try out tactics etc. Mixed success but that is to be expected.

However, I seem to be unable to play Orcs without them getting trounced. It's rare I even score. My W/D/L record is appalling and they regularly get outmuscled by weaker teams - skaven, elves, amazon etc. Usually suffer serious injury or death in a game.

Last match against Amazons I had to concede with only 3 players left. Rest were dead/SI/BI or KO'd. Appalling.

Although no expert I am pretty sure I am not making any horrendous tactical errors and what skills I do get I am picking sensibly - Block, Tackle, Guard etc

Any advice would be MOST welcome.

I am a fixer. And my services are valued.

Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

You conceeded.

Do you know what the percentage is for games won after a concession?
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking over your last game––
It seems to me that you just need more practice positioning and calculating risks–– just Blood Bowl Basics, really–– nothing special about Orcs. For example, there is no excuse for overcrowding your backfield with valuable (and slow) players, or settling for a 1-die blitz on turn 1, or pulling that pre-blitz foul. Later, you leave the ball exposed, and after that, you try to pick up the ball with a Troll... then you waste a blitz due to being out of range... etc.
You just need more practice, I think.

Last edited by cameronhawkins on %b %20, %2014 - %23:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair both good coaches above me would have lost orcs vs zons with those armour rolls. Very Happy

Seems like you have pretty bad luck with orcs, seeing as you do decently with other slow teams like undead and khemri.

But only 6 games with orcs in 2014 right, try some more and see if your luck changes maybe. Pretty much anyone on this site have had 6 game losing streaks.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Initially i see some "bloat" on your roster. when learning the basics, keeping your TV trim will let you play "fairer" matches, with the bloat you face higher skilled teams. teams that can exploit those weaknesses. your skill choices are Fine. losing the assistant coaches and a team RR (or two) will change dramatically the calibure of team you face, possible enough to overcome some coaching skill deficit. Amazons and chaos dorfs, especially at your current TV, are VERY competitive.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

cameronhawkins wrote:
It seems to me that you just need more practice positioning and calculating risks–– just Blood Bowl Basics, really–– nothing special about Orcs. For example, there is no excuse for overcrowding your backfield with valuable (and slow) players, or settling for a 1-die blitz on turn 1, or pulling that pre-blitz foul. Later, you leave the ball exposed, and after that, you try to pick up the ball with a Troll... then you waste a blitz being due to being out of range... etc.

+1

I also agree.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
To be fair both good coaches above me would have lost orcs vs zons with those armour rolls. Very Happy

Pfff, are you kidding? I could have taken the game from the point where he conceeded and still finished it on a tie or better. A couple of failed armor rolls are nothing to get the spirits down about.
Roland

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

only looking at a roster of https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=582316:
fire troll and thrower, you just need BoBs, linos and blitzers
score with blitzers, they're faster
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Overhamsteren wrote:

Pfff, are you kidding? I could have taken the game from the point where he conceeded and still finished it on a tie or better. A couple of failed armor rolls are nothing to get the spirits down about.

The point I conceded I had 3 players left on the pitch - the rest were out (with 1 dead). My opponent had 10. It seemed to be a case of simply calling it a bad day at the office, cutting my losses and living to fight another day as it were.

While I don't doubt your ability at this game, your comments could be seen as mildly dismissive regarding my opponents playing ability. If none of my KO's had recovered I would have been left with 3 or 4 players facing his 10 or 11. Are you SURE you could have equalised or even won the game? I think my opponent might disagree with that.

TenaciousPiggy

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Trolls are terrible. Throwers can be nice early to keep the wardancers off you, but the first blitzer with a stat boost or double should get sure hands.
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

cameronhawkins wrote:
It seems to me that you just need more practice positioning and calculating risks–– just Blood Bowl Basics, really–– nothing special about Orcs. For example, there is no excuse for overcrowding your backfield with valuable (and slow) players, or settling for a 1-die blitz on turn 1, or pulling that pre-blitz foul. Later, you leave the ball exposed, and after that, you try to pick up the ball with a Troll... then you waste a blitz due to being out of range... etc.

Thank you - good advice. Smile
Just to clarify - the foul was committed by my dirty player so I felt little risk. Had it worked it might have swung things more in my favour.

However, I see your points about positioning and order of blocking 2 dice, the 2 dice etc. I usually get it in the right order but maybe I was guilty of recklessness here - sometimes, when things are going against me in a game, I can almost try to over-compensate or force things too much. Maybe more patience is needed on my part.

Blitz out of range - Good point. My own inexperience there.

Troll trying to pick up ball. Another case of me trying to force my luck to change I think.

Is there a link to starting positions for teams? I don't recall ever seeing one (or maybe I simply missed it)

Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Being a bit cynical and tightening the roster up until you get a better record is probably a good idea.

Ditch 2 rerolls, all staff, troll and thrower. Maybe get a new thrower and get block on him but yeah look for a blitzer to give surehands.

Keep the 2 -av black orcs probably until the last one skills up, then replace when you got the cash.

Do you pass the ball regularly or only turn 8/16 for spp or when it's the last option?

Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
only looking at a roster of https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=582316:
fire troll and thrower, you just need BoBs, linos and blitzers
score with blitzers, they're faster

Thanks for advice. I accidentially clicked 'ready to play' but after next match time to do some trimming of the squad as you suggest.

Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh and 2d block with troll is bad as an early action, wait as long as possible and try and get a 3d block.

Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Being a bit cynical and tightening the roster up until you get a better record is probably a good idea.

Ditch 2 rerolls, all staff, troll and thrower. Maybe get a new thrower and get block on him but yeah look for a blitzer to give surehands.

Keep the 2 -av black orcs probably until the last one skills up, then replace when you got the cash.

Do you pass the ball regularly or only turn 8/16 for spp or when it's the last option?

Thanks for advice. After next match (I accidentially clicked ready to play) I will ditch 2 re-rolls and staff and sack my Ogre and Thrower. Hopefully that will help Smile

Jump to: