20 coaches online • Server time: 07:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Smeat

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2014 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Season 2 of A.P.E. has started!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Season 1 of A.P.E. has kicked off, and the first game proved what we all already knew - that when you put a rookie Ape team up against the Block-spam of a higher AV rookie Dwarf team, the Dwarfs can get the coconut juice knocked out of them! Shocked

4 Turns into the game, 17 blocks by Dwarfs v. 12 blocks by Apes, and the Dwarfs had lost an AV 8 BH'd, another permed SI (-AV), and an AV 9 RIP'd! The Dwarfs hadn't been idle, with 3 lineapes out (KO, BH, MNG), and they went ahead and cleared the pitch of AV 7 (only 4 Gorillas remaining) by the middle of the 2nd half, but still - ouch!

Grats to Coach Pentalarc and his Birara Adventurers for the League's first win (and a double on his first skill)!

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)

Last edited by Smeat on Mar 02, 2015 - 02:19; edited 3 times in total
Smeat

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

On the APE League Home page, at the bottom is a list of the Starting Rosters for the League - 6 different ones! Will be interesting to see how the coaches' varying starting theory works!

Macabeo

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

It's seems that what we feared won't happen, as From Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z has beaten 1-0 the Norse team Spnning IceHammer! Maybe we should start looking for a Chaos coach? Razz Wacky game though, hard to conclude anything from it.

If anything, I'd say the gorillas work very very well in conjunction, providing a lot of blocks and opening gaps. So spread those gorillas and mark them with a lineman!
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I would not have expected Apes to overcome Dwarves and Norse early on.
In both games, the Apes were able to do more damage. Strange league
Smeat

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Macabeo wrote:
It's seems that what we feared won't happen...

Ah, 2 games is not a statistically significant sampling. Grats on dodging those two bullets, but I'll hold judgement. Wink

It'll pro'ly be something like the HElfs that utterly destroy a team. Laughing

Macabeo

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I know, I know haha it's just that I find it funny that after all this talk about the danger of the bash team, in the first 2 matches the bashiest teams lose.

Also, our match was pretty close, buuface could've won but a risky move and bad dice prevented it.
m0gw41

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2014 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Another brutal display by the Great Apes in this league, now 3/3 wins for the Simyans!

Interesting that the Apes outbashed the frogs almost 2:1 but that might have been something to do with the dice as well. The dead frog killed itself though, jumping out of a gorillas grip.

Tomorrow night lines up Woodies for the Ape Pain Train...
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2014 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Pentalarc is seeming to be the season Brutalizer. I might have managed to score in the first half with my apes, but with only 6 players returning to the field after the scoring drive, and no hope of recovering the rest of the team, we had to concede the match. Team Monkeyboned wants to survive to fight another day, and after giving up 4 casualties, that didn't seem possible if we played through regulation
Pentalarc

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2014 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

FWIW, they did kill a wolf who regenned. Gorillas look like very effective players.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2014 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

5th Game of the 8 first-round League games, and we have our first Ape non-win, as, almost(?) predictably, the softest team on the horizon, rookie Wood Elfs (without a Tree), bashed their Ape opponent to own the first half.

The Ape roster had only 3 gorillas (and 4 RR), so losing one BH and another KO'd Turn 3 was crippling. The unscathed WElfs changed from fast-score to stall then and there, and proceeded to KO two Lineapes next turn (1 via Surf), and another plus a Chimpanzee the following Turn (5) before surfing another Lino into reserves, and the rest of the half was no contest against the remaining 4 apes.

But all 5 KO's woke up for the second half, which became a mirror image of the first. An Elf Lino was KO'd and the first Wardancer Surfed Turn 2 (the old-fashioned way, no Grab involved), and 2 more Linos out Turn 4 (one KO, one MNG). Turn 6 the 2nd Wardancer got himself surfed into reserves, and the next turn a Lino and a Catcher were both Surfed out. With only 4 Elf Linos facing 9 Apes, the tie score was almost assured, but with no RR on either side, a low-odds -2 Blitz found Both-Down on the Wrestler Chimp ballcarrier to end Turn 7. 2+ for the pickup and score - was successful, tie game.

Turn 8 the WElfs' MA 8 Catcher woke up, so they set up for a OTS. "Good Coaching" got them a RR for the try, but Both-Down was RR'd to Both-Down - game over, tied 1-1.

As a footnote, the WElf Catcher who scored also got MVP, and rolled... 11. An Ag 5 Dodge/Catcher will surely give all other Ape teams headaches!

Smeat

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Round 2 of A.P.E. has been finished on time (and actually more than a day ahead!), so here's an update...

Everyone has 2 games for each team under their belt, so every Coach has seen 4 Ape games (2 their own, 2 as their opponents), and in those 16 games the Simyins have lived up to their fun-filled promise.

Many Ape teams have lost or only tied 1 by a single die-roll or so, so everyone still shows promise for post-season. 2 Ape teams are undefeated after their 2 games, with m0gw41's Infinite Monkey Theorem boasting the only 2-0 record - altho' From Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z came very close to winning their recent 2nd game and joining them (which is a familiar story to several other teams, iirc). But Smeat's C.H.U.M.P. is on their heels with 1 win/1 tie, and has 2.5 more Tie-Breaker points (+4 TD, +4 Casualties/2), tied with a non-Ape team for the highest in the League.

But 4 more Ape teams are 1/1 - with 6 games left to play, it's still anyone's season, and any current standings could be meaningless by the time the dust clears.

Also worth mentioning are Pentalarc's Necro Vipertower Vivisectors, the only non-Ape team w/ a perfect 2-0 record, and m0gw41's WElf Profligate Primatologists and Macabeo's Human Dexter's Lab!, both with a 1 win/1 tie record, altho' the former shares the Tie-Breaker point lead (also +4 TD, +4 Cas/2), altho' that's only bragging rights for non-Ape teams.

Remember - top Ape teams will enter the post-season Ape-on-Ape knockout tourney to determine King of the Jungle, while the rest play a quick friendly Swiss for the spp.

Macabeo

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2014 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, after 2 games I can already say that beginning with only 2 RRs was not the best idea, even if that means apo or bench. 4 ST4 guys and MV7 means that being undermanned is not as bad as with other hybrid teams, and the amount of blockless blocks that you end up throwing with grab is huge.

Also, 2 bonobos skilled up, and both rolled doubles! This is what I took:
- Guard (I though of just picking good ol' Block too).
- Leader (2 RRs is just not enough!!! and the Thro-rangutan has 0 ssp, so Leader for him was still a few games away most likely)
Smeat

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

One of the reasons I wanted to form this League was exactly that - comparing diff builds and developments w/ each other.

I too have noticed that the number of Blocks is huge compared to a "typical" skill-less team, and consistently more compared to most opposition. Even block-spam teams like Norse and Dwarfs are often behind the Apes, despite 1d blocks, except when the bash takes out the opposition early. 50-60 Blocks in a match appears not uncommon for rookie Simyins.

My starting roster had 4 RR and only 3 Gorillas - a little underpowered, but I like the safety net of 4 RR - and often run out anyway due to early (and often) double-Both-Downs and Skulls. :/ After 3 games (and starting w/ nothing in the bank) I am 10k short of 4th Gorilla (= 100k) - def next on the list.

Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, they do seem to get in quite a lot of blocks. It does depend on how soon the linechimps start getting knocked out but they certainly with a bit og luck in that department can be quite a bashy team. Grab seems to help with positioning to enable more 2D blocks and less uphill blocks, conversely this makes it harder for the other team to get 2D blocks.

I don't quite average as many blocks with them as I do with my Dwarves and I can see that a mid developed Dwarf, Norse or Chaos Dwaves team should munch them once most of the team have Guard to add to their block as that takes away much of the benefit of Grab as it's harder to stop the opposition getting the 2D blocks.

That leads me to wonder what skills would be best for the apes to negate a guard heavy team?

DLE College 7s
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
That leads me to wonder what skills would be best for the apes to negate a guard heavy team?
As I'm slowly working my Dwarves in that direction, and may soon have a blodger Runner as well, I'd say that Grab can still be useful against guard. Your second best bet is to guard spam your Simyins as best you can, and get block on every ape you can.

If you can't pull that off, I'd suggest limiting the number of blocks a guard heavy team has available to them each turn
 Jump to: