18 coaches online • Server time: 06:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Burn the witch! Mr. Green

How do we know she is a witch?

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I still don't get the point of the 11 player rule, or what possible abuse it prevents. Confused

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

stop trolling, fouly.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

He's not trolling though. It's the most pointless rule all times imo, I would love someone to explain why it exists and what the hell they think JM abuse is.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm honestly not trolling. And after all these years I've never heard an explanation that goes beyond "because it's the rules".

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

The fun thing is that the rule to combat this fabled "JM abuse" is just a rule carried over from LRB4 with the wording completely unchanged.

Quote:
Teams in competitive divisions are expected to strive for at least 11 players on the roster. While this doesn't mean that any team below 11 players must immediately hire a new lineman, coaches are expected to not let the team deteriorate on purpose.

The rule came about then because someone had a WE team that had hardly any players but saved up to buy a few players at once. That was clearly bad in LRB4 and it was letting the team deteriorate on purpose.

For some reason the rule stayed in in CRP and now it's justified by saying that Journeyman abuse is a terrible thing, look at all the teams with 5 million in the bank who are doing stuff and things, we must not allow some people to play with journeymen for extended periods and save an arbitrary amount because it's against the spirit of the game or some bs like that anyway. I am confuzzled.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Ditto.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
I'm honestly not trolling. And after all these years I've never heard an explanation that goes beyond "because it's the rules".

I always thought it was part of the plot to kill off the Box by making it even more difficult to keep your non CPOMBers alive.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

The explanation I've seen, more than once, is that it is at least partly to stop people from being able to buy a title. i.e. show up for a tournament with an elf team with a load of cash accrued by playing with jmen, buying a wiz every game, and hence acquiring an unfair advantage.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
The explanatipon I've seen, more than once, is that it is at least partly to stop people from being able to buy a title. i.e. show up for a tournament with an elf team with a load of cash accrued by playing with jmen, buying a wiz every game, and hence acquiring an unfair advantage.

Bwahahahahaha!

Everybody hates elveses.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhh Yeahhh! Screw Elfs! Long live Cpomb!

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
The explanation I've seen, more than once, is that it is at least partly to stop people from being able to buy a title. i.e. show up for a tournament with an elf team with a load of cash accrued by playing with jmen, buying a wiz every game, and hence acquiring an unfair advantage.

Then, may I ask, what the hell is tournament weight good for? Confused

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

TW doesn't include cash any more. Of course, it did for a long time while the rule was in place. But majors, for example, don't have a TW limit. If they did, you'd either rule out some big teams, like the 2900 TV monsters we've seen do well recently, or the limit would be so high as to be pointless.

Please note I'm not defending or advocating the rule, just regurgitating info from one of the many previous discussions about it. I'm entirely indifferent to the rule personally. Although anything that screws elves has to be a good thing.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer explained in the forums fairly recently why the rule is still in place. If you wanted to debate it, why not then?

It's a spirit thing. Playing with JM and saving cash is just plain ugly.

And no, I'm not going to waste my time looking for the post.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so another "beacuase it's the rules". Good to know. It's still a bad rule and a bad exlanation.

And maybe, just maybe, not all us are around reading every post in every thread.

And what do you mean by ugly? How is saving cash a problem at all? Why doesn't this effect my dwarfs then if hoarding cash is the huge problem that the 11 man rule is supposed to combat?