53 coaches online • Server time: 14:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is CLAWPOMB really a problem?
Yes, absolutley
55%
 55%  [ 464 ]
No, Chaos Dwarfs Disagree
20%
 20%  [ 174 ]
Still Haven't Decided
8%
 8%  [ 75 ]
Pie!
15%
 15%  [ 127 ]
Total Votes : 840

Fabulander

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:
p.s. it's also a rule which you would probably have to reread to check how it works in each case. In my limited experience the simpler the rule the better.

Yeah, maybe, but I think maybe I went overboard with the explanation in the rules text. It might have been shorter and simpler. The basic mechanic is just this: You can pile on whenever you knock an opponent down and he ends up in your tackle zone, even in the opponents turn (at the exact time of his turnover, of course). Then you add modifiers to armour: +1 for piling on, +1 if stronger, +2 if twice as strong, +1 if opponent stunned. Then you add modifiers to injury: +1 for piling on, +1 if opponent sunned. If you fail to break armour, make armour roll on yourself instead. Turnovers happen if you pile on in your turn and get hurt or lose tha ball.

I like using and writing up house rules, but always that's always assuming that people in the league already know the game, so I don't think this would be too complex.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe you could try begging the admins to unlock your original thread.

With the much shorter description. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Fabulander wrote:
Then you add modifiers to armour: +1 for piling on, +1 if stronger, +2 if twice as strong, +1 if opponent stunned. Then you add modifiers to injury: +1 for piling on, +1 if opponent sunned. If you fail to break armour, make armour roll on yourself instead. Turnovers happen if you pile on in your turn and get hurt or lose tha ball.

To keep it simpler (or just for crazyness), instead of adding modifiers, just have the player roll as many d6 as he'd roll if it was a block. More than double STR? Roll 3d6 and add them together. It sounds crazy, but it's a +3.5 bonus, on average, and with your system you'd have a +3/+4 if stunned, it's pretty similar.
Harad

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Well it depends on what the purpose is of the house rule but if you just find clawpomb a little too common and powerful then if you read back a few pages you can find what I think is the best and most elegant solution (I emphasise it was not my idea).

Piling on is a skill only big guys can take.

It removes nearly all the issues one might have with piling on and for a bonus makes big guys more scary and more useful as they probably should be.

Maybe chaos dwarves would suffer too much? Maybe there wouldn't be enough casualties to keep teams trim.

As I said, I don't dislike your house rule, just if I was running a league this is the one I would go for.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Make PO BG only, nerf Elf's ability to win somehow, buff fouling. Sorted.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:

remove A-access from elf linos?
dudesweet101

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I just lost my favourite bomber.......he didnt have claw but really didnt need it.....one game he killed 3 players in 4 blocks.....got kicked in the cubes because the apo had already saved our ball handling skink....sigh
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:

Yep, this is one (efficient) way to fix it. Elf nerf would be to make wizard cost 200k, and make wardancer 130k, and 2 blitzers for delfs.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
JimmyFantastic wrote:

remove A-access from elf linos?

How about making tackle & sure hands general skills. Wink

One change I would like is that wrestle gives the option to prevent another wrestler from taking a player to the ground.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
How about making tackle & sure hands general skills. Wink

well, then we have to make dodge and side-step Agility skills too Wink
Harad

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I think they're already done by the non-resurrection formats. In all the WO qualifiers I make it that there are 4 elf teams left (2 wood elf, 1 elf and 1 dark elf) with many semi finals still to play and I'd be surprised if more than one made it to the finals. This may be a statistical anomaly but it doesn't look like too much nerfing is required.

But anyway, don't want to drag the subject off topic.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

But at the moment T/C-pomb keeps them in check somewhat. You can't change things and expect them to not have a knock on effect.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been thinking about this a bit.

Mighty blow is available to all teams and is not overpowered.
Piling On is statistically what causes most bloodshed, but again is universally available and comes with the drawback of being prone after using it.
Claw on the other hand - only available to certain teams, and is overpowered because it only costs 20k or 30k and can reduce armour by up to 3 points. Make it a +1 to armour roll and it's fixed (and would still be taken as a counter to high AV teams).
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

PaddyMick wrote:
I've been thinking about this a bit.

Mighty blow is available to all teams and is not overpowered.
Piling On is statistically what causes most bloodshed, but again is universally available and comes with the drawback of being prone after using it.
Claw on the other hand - only available to certain teams, and is overpowered because it only costs 20k or 30k and can reduce armour by up to 3 points. Make it a +1 to armour roll and it's fixed (and would still be taken as a counter to high AV teams).

Sorry, but this is wrong. The combos are worth more than the pieces. So unless we can "charge" for the combos we should either
- eliminate the combo (like they do not stack)
- pick the best piece and nerf that
And statistically speaking claw is the weakest on its own by far. I would go for Mighty blow to be the strongest. An option would be that MB goes only at injury, does not mess with armor.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Fair point Jimmy. I've never found that anybody needs to pile on to decimate my elves but your argument is of course valid. I'd be interested to see it run without a corresponding nerf as my feeling is the box could do with a few higher TV non bash teams but I agree I could naively be ushering in an era of blodge AG5 menaces.
 Jump to: